What's new

You have to be a master to pull this off this ending

Yes, Mastro Livi from italy has some strange honing techniques but decades of experience and his razors are outstandig.

Take a look on his Homepage! hmmm...

Absolute wonderful. Especially the scales made of mother-of-perl. The design of the blade is sometimes a bit ... matter of taste :wink: but the quality of work is above suspicion.

The price of his razors are around 1000 €uro (actually 1300 bucks) and this is not too much for this fine art razors.

Its looks odd because its not so traditional but if you notice he using the same amount of strokes per side. Looks like a master at work. I dont like that he doesn't rinse the razor in between switching hones.

Its looks odd because its not so traditional but if you notice he using the same amount of strokes per side. Looks like a master at work. I dont like that he doesn't rinse the razor in between switching hones.

Are you going to tell him that?:w00t:

Maybe after I magically gain his friendship over a cup of espresso. We have a laugh we have a shave he then teaches me all his secrets I get dibs on all new razors for freeeee and then I wake up.

great video! I like the way he throws that slab of steel on the stones and hones with reckless/measured abandon! truely an expert! excellent!

I'd just like to add that after watching this video, I tried this technique (ie scrubbing back and forth on the hone for the first few strokes) on a razor that I have been trying to hone after reshaping the blade.

It goes against everything I have read on honing, but I am delighted to say that I got the blade considerably sharper than I had previously managed to.

Very interesting....

His technique adds credence to my theory that getting a razor sharp is not rocket science. Watching his fluid movements was nice to see and that's one of the reasons for getting a good shaving edge. I have a tendency to think that a few too many folks make honing a razor more difficult than it really needs to be. You just need to work on the coordination, that's all.

His technique adds credence to my theory that getting a razor sharp is not rocket science. Watching his fluid movements was nice to see and that's one of the reasons for getting a good shaving edge. I have a tendency to think that a few too many folks make honing a razor more difficult than it really needs to be. You just need to work on the coordination, that's all.

I'm new to straight razor shaving and was encouraged by your post. I purchased my straights pre honed and planned on sending them back to Ken Rup when the time came for honing.

Just might try my hand at it (with a less expensive razor) one of these days.

What was amazing to me was that he used his hand as a strop. Humm, I think I'll try that the next time I shave. Here we all have been buying expensive strops when all the time all we really needed was our hand.

I use Japanese style kitchen knives at home and after I re-sharpen them I always strop them on my hand as the final polishing, done it for a while now and never had a problem. Seems to polish the edge up nicely.

Makes me think I'm *waaay* too gentle with my razors, I'm trying to minimize pressure but he's slapping those things down on both hones and strops/hands with some force (you can hear it on the blade side).

Seems like most of the videos I see from the "pros" are like that, am I right to be a little suspicious of the "weight of the razor" technique?

Dave

Top Bottom