What's new

Yorkshire Red or Gold? Or some other British tea?

In preparation for the upcoming Yorkshire Day, August 1st, in a Lambsfoot knife thread in another forum, I am specifically looking at the Yorkshire Red and Gold teas initially.

I generally drink PG Tips if I go 'high class' and Tetley for an everyday 'cuppa'. I know there are a lot of different varieties in the UK so, I am curious about what people are drinking and why. If not an Amazon order, what are the better online places to buy from?

I should note that I am initially looking only at tea bags but, loose leaf is a possibility in the future as well.

☕

Sid

Yorkshire Red is my everyday tea. Loose leaf. I also like Typhoo Extra Strong, and can get that locally.

I got burned out on Twinings when I found the Yorkshire, but their Irish Breakfast is a pretty good stout cup.

I assume what you call "red" is the standard Yorkshire Tea here in the UK. I don't recall seeing a gold version but perhaps I am just not paying attention!

Here is the latest TV advert featuring a certain Patrick Stewart. I like to think he participated because it's an obvious mockery of the God-awful dialog in the Star Trek Picard show, but unfortunately I suspect he's not that self-aware.

In preparation for the upcoming Yorkshire Day, August 1st, in a Lambsfoot knife thread in another forum, I am specifically looking at the Yorkshire Red and Gold teas initially.

I generally drink PG Tips if I go 'high class' and Tetley for an everyday 'cuppa'. I know there are a lot of different varieties in the UK so, I am curious about what people are drinking and why. If not an Amazon order, what are the better online places to buy from?

I should note that I am initially looking only at tea bags but, loose leaf is a possibility in the future as well.

☕

Sid
Try Barry''s Tea.

An Irish tea, strong and flavourful.

Not sure if the Irish navvies building the canals in the north brought strong tea to Yorkshire, or whether it was picked up there and taken to Ireland. Probably an unwritten cultural history subject.

Website here Barry's Tea | Irish Tea - https://www.barrystea.ie/

Try Barry''s Tea.

Not sure if the Irish navvies building the canals in the north brought strong tea to Yorkshire, or whether it was picked up there and taken to Ireland. Probably an unwritten cultural history subject.

Never been able to find it here and never think about it when I make my annual Amazon order. ;) Heard about it forever, though.

I assume what you call "red" is the standard Yorkshire Tea here in the UK. I don't recall seeing a gold version but perhaps I am just not paying attention!

Here is the latest TV advert featuring a certain Patrick Stewart. I like to think he participated because it's an obvious mockery of the God-awful dialog in the Star Trek Picard show, but unfortunately I suspect he's not that self-aware.
Gold vs. Red is what we see in the USA. Gold is viewed as a little more premium with Rwandan tea added to the basic British "Red" tea.

The Biscquit and other flavors are pretty rare over here.

Try Barry''s Tea.

I'm widening my tea journey a bit. At the moment, I am focused on Yorkshire specifically for the August 1st Yorkshire Day celebration.

Typhoo and some other British/UK options are on my list but, Barry's looks pretty good so I'll definitely look for it first in my next batch of foreign orders.

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
I like the red better. @CANES turned me on to Typhoo. I can’t find the Extra Strong in my local shops. Steeping a wee bit longer with an extra bag seems to be working nicely though. Irish Breakfast loose by Twinings is a nice change. Will be on the hunt for Barry’s now.

I think Yorkshire Red is the original variety from the brand, the Gold came later as a bit of an upgrade.

It's been a long time since I was in the UK, but last time Typhoo and PG Tips seemed some of the most common everyday type teas.

Yorkshire Red is the one with the broad RED strip down the box. I suspect it is a USA thing to specify it and distinguish it from Yorkshire Gold in the marketplace.

Disambiguation on our side of the Atlantic probably is a bigger issue since most consumers don't have a clue about Yorkshire geographically and would likely think of a little dog if someone said that wanted some "Yorkshire" tea, or is that a Teacup Poodle! 😀

in my rotation I have the Gold Loose leaf and it’s a great tea. Make sure if you can that the tea is not packed in the UAE but has UK on the label. This is the same for the red as well. Apparently the UAE version is not as nice.

in my rotation I have the Gold Loose leaf and it’s a great tea. Make sure if you can that the tea is not packed in the UAE but has UK on the label. This is the same for the red as well. Apparently the UAE version is not as nice.
You're right. UAE has less tea in each bag (not sure if they package a loose leaf in UAE). Plus, they have strings and tags on their version, normally. Easy way to tell the difference.

I drink PG Tips. It’s what the chimpanzees and monkeys in London zoo drink and they know their tea. It’s good.
69BEFB9E-33D6-40A7-A2D2-F5A74E808155.png

My favourite tea used to be Co-op tea but I haven’t had it for years, since I was living abroad, and I don’t know if it’s still the same.

Gourmet teas have usually disappointed me but if you want a real treat then TWG tea from Singapore is wonderful. They offer a wide variety of all types of blends and every one I’ve tried has been exceptional. I don’t know what international vendors they have but they do have their own stores/cafés in Europe and I see there are two in Canada.

If I had to choose I would go for the Yorkshire gold over the red for me, or you can do yourself a massive favor and buy some good quality English breakfast loose tea that will beat those two teas hands down.

Any specific recommendations? Yorkshire loose tea or, something else like PG and similar teas?

How about top picks from the cheap side, midrange, and premium options?

Any specific recommendations? Yorkshire loose tea or, something else like PG and similar teas?

How about top picks from the cheap side, midrange, and premium options?

Whittard do some nice teas, and their English Breakfast is a very nice tea, I'm a lifelong dedicated tea drinker, the difference between quality loose tea and tea bags is like night & day, my advice would be to use a teapot, I'm a milk & sugar person but the choice is yours, it's down to your personal taste.

Black Tea | Loose Leaf Black tea & Tea Bags | Whittard of Chelsea - https://www.whittard.co.uk/tea/tea-type/black-tea

Both Yorkshire Red and Gold (in bag or leaf form) are pretty good everyday breakfast teas (the daily drinker in my house). I find it much better than PG Tips, Tetley, Typhoo and other major UK brands. You can get nicer loose leaf tea's from speciality shops in the UK or you can go with Whittard of Chelsea or Twinnings which are sold as more premium brands (although I find Yorkshire Gold stands up to both of them).

If you go with loose leaf then you need a strainer to pour it over or an infuser. Just please don't make it in the microwave!

Top Bottom