What's new

Yet another Tabac thread. Just what we need , right ?

I went back and forth , "should I or shouldn't I make a Tabac thread ?". I decided I should for the same reason I'm sure everyone else makes a similar thread and that's because it's such an experience that you feel the need to share!

Sepetember is the month I was born and being a wet shaver since 2011 I did what any wet shaver SHOULD do for their birthday and that is buy themselves their own birthday present of shave goodies :idea: so that's what i did, i bought some stuff from Stirling soap co. since I'm a big SS fan.....and then on the actual day of my birthday i get a gift card to Amazon from my brother for 25 dollars which just happens to be almost exactly what Tabac costs and I've been eyeballing Tabac for about a year and a half. I "pull the trigger" on Tabac on Wednesday, not quite sure what to expect. I held off for so long because the scent descriptions of course, overall the descriptions leaned toward old time barbershop and in the past my prefrences have been lighter/clean/soapysubtle scents with a general dislike of powdery "barbershop" scents (Clubman AS was the second product i ever bought when I started wet shaving and I've detested it ever since :wink: ) well over the past few months I have begun to enjoy the barbershopy scent after trying to use up a long dormant tube of Erasmic and also some LEA, both of which I've had for a few years. Anyway Tabac always seemed like something i thought I would hate but being free with the gift card I decided to go for it along with my shifting scent "taste". now like everyone else always says "what took me so long"...

So anyway here goes my review/first experience with the great Tabac.......

Upon receiving my amazon order I smelled the carboard box which it was shipped in before even opening the box. i could smell a faint podery scent. upon opening the outerbox I then smell the Tabac box and I immediatly am transported back to the early to mid 1970's when i was 4 or 5 years old. This is what I remember my mom smelling like when her and my dad went to parties and me and my brother were left with the babysitter. I thought "feminine powdery scent", that was my initial reaction BUT I liked it because if brough up old /good memories. I then proceeded to take it out of the Tabac box and opened the lid while the wrapper was still in place, this time i got a slightly differnt scent. It was now a bit muskier and really complex smelling. I put the lid back on and left the foil wrapping on with plans to shave the next morning with it. To my surprise I found myself grabbing the jar every 20 minutes or so the rest of the evening and taking whiffs, each time growing more and more fond of it, so much so that with all those Stirling soaps (bath and shave) that I recently got I couldn't even recall their scents. Tabac was like a drug, I HAD to have more of it.
This morning was my first shave as I eagerly removed the foil wrapper to my surprise there was yet another change in scent! this time it was a masculine scent, powder like still with that "mom from the 70's) scent but not in the forefront, It was old time barbershop but also with hints of a good cigar scent only a very subtle cigar scent, maybe some leather/suede and woodsy spice.I am in LOVE:w00t: Of course the glide and protection was all it was written to be. I have never had a smoother more confident, comfortable shave. I have artisan soaps and classics. Tabac is the benchmark, the measuring stick. BTW I read how many people suggest leaving the lid off , or soaking it for a bit in hot water, etc, etc. i just took off the foil and wet the brush and had at it, no problems and it was love at first application !

I don't ever want to be without Tabac now. I will buy some AS as soon as I can. In the meantime I followed up (after savoring the Tabac for 1/2 an hour) with Beyshave bay rum because i read By Rum pairs well with it and it does.

So tabac does live up to it's legendary reputation, it's hype, whatever you want to call it. I love the fact that it is so polarizing, it just adds to the aethetics of it, along with that packaging, the bowl (German minimalism) it's just a trully great great product, one of those rare products. Zen like, yin/yang. "it is what it is". Probably to me the most interesting thing about it is the vast range of scent descriptions everything from 'dead grannys" to ashtrays, to old time barbershop, to soapy scent, etc etc. Basically differnt things to different people! It is not one dimensional.

My favorit though is this....http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/454494-Tabac-Why-So-Good?p=7351460#post7351460

"Tabac smells like the zombified corpse of Granmda Ethel after she keeled over from too many Pall Malls at the nickel slots in a Reno truck stop.

It's an acquired taste."

:001_cool:

Glad you like it!

I don't get the smokey/cigar references when I sniff it, I just think it smells good. :)

Beware, the aftershave is a bit strong. If you use in it a confined space you might make some friends and/or enemies real quick.

The aroma is love it or hate it, but I don't think anyone can fault the performance. One of the best shaving soaps available IMO, and I love using it in winter. The successor to Old Spice, I think, since you can get it with its milk glass bowl and refills.

The only thing I wonder about is the yellowy discharge that develops in the bottom of the bowl over time. It's like oils (or tallow?) seeping out of the soap cake.

Some days I get in a mood to have the whole "Tabac experience" and use the soap, aftershave, and EDC. I can't do this every day because eventually it does shift to a "grandma's makeup bag" type of thing, but for an old time barbershop scent treat, it's fun to do.

Last edited:
The aroma is love it or hate it, but I don't think anyone can fault the performance. One of the best shaving soaps available IMO, and I love using it in winter. The successor to Old Spice, I think, since you can get it with its milk glass bowl and refills.

The only thing I wonder about is the yellowy discharge that develops in the bottom of the bowl over time. It's like oils (or tallow?) seeping out of the soap cake.

Some days I get in a mood to have the whole "Tabac experience" and use the soap, aftershave, and EDC. I can't do this every day because eventually it does shift to a "grandma's makeup bag" type of thing, but for an old time barbershop scent treat, it's fun to do.

I sometimes use Tabac bath gel, deodorant, shaving soap, AS and cologne the same day--if I smell like grandma, so be it!

Ive used Tabac in the past, its good stuff. It doesnt smell like a cigar or any kind of tobacco to me but it is a nice, classic, manly scent.

I get the tobacco undertones. It's an excellent soap and certainly among my more unique scents. I dont use it quite as often as i used to since i recently bought a few new soaps but i have no doubt that i will be back!

To me, Tabac smells like a great shave. I have become accustomed to its scent. It's a given that everyone's perception of any scent is individual, and comparisons (and even arguments!) are of little value, except maybe fun. Either you like the way something smells, or you don't...and that might change tomorrow! :001_cool:

That said...I perceive no tobacco of any kind...it's my understanding that the scent suggests the scent of the tobacco blossom. I'll accept that, having no first-hand experience. But no "Pall Malls in the bottom of Grandma's purse" or "Archie Bunkers undershirt" or other such. To me, it's powdery and floral...not my all-time favorite, but it's OK.

But...what a performer! It's what I reach for when I'm in a bit of a hurry and want a guaranteed great shave. It lathers effortlessly, and its slickness and cushion are superb. A winner, and a classic that should be in everyone's den.

The great Tabac paradox. On the one hand it's one of the top performers in my collection. Lots of thick, rich, slick lather that's easy to produce and it leaves my face feeling soft and moisturized.

On the other hand that smell. To me it smells like a dirty ashtray in an old man's house. Vile. No matter how many times I try to at least bear with it I can't get passed the scent.

So for me it's a "no". At some point, probably for my B&B 1 year anniversary, I will PIF it.

I have about 80% a puck and bottle of aftershave for anyone willing to pay for shipping. It isn't a pif since I can't pay shipping, but, maybe it should go to someone who hasn't tried it.. First person to pm me gets it.

I ordered some, mostly. Because it does seem to be so polarizing. I tried it for the first time today. It did lather very easily and I had a good straight razor shave. ( new to SRs still on the learning curve. ). I enjoyed it, and liked the smell. Still get a faint hint of it hours later. I'm glad I got it and look forward to using it more.

One thing, the top fits VERY loosely. Is it supposed to fit tightly?

For me it is just too florally/perfumery. I really wanted to like it, as suggested by using almost 20% of my puck and aftershave, but, I am just not one of the chosen I guess. It is hard ordering online by trial and error. I am a scent junkie, but, you really never know what you will get and no one can effectively describe a scent to you with out a point of reference and even then it's scetchy.

A winner on two fronts; lots of thick, rich, slick lather that's easy to produce, and a great fragrance.

A winner on two fronts; lots of thick, rich, slick lather that's easy to produce, and a great fragrance.
I agree 100% with this! I still wish I could remember why exactly it smells so familiar to me as if at some point in my early youth I was exposed to its lovely fragrance.

Tabac is to my opinion a top notch soap, as for the scent it's all subjective. To me the smell reminded me certain type of pipe tabaco that few of my uncles used to smoke, and a certain type of cognac mixed whit cigar smell. Personaly I like the smell but it's also subjective, Tabac is in my rotation and will stay in.

Top Bottom