What's new

Yet another suit thread

So I have a job interview coming up soon and I need a new suit. Im giving myself about $500 to $600 after all is said and done...

I Am doing to NYC this weekend and was thinking I would stop at Century 21 and maybe pick up a Burberry suit marked way down or something similar

My question is are suits of makes such as that made well or is it just a name? I'm looking for something very high in quality that will be a great suit for a very long time..

If somebody knows someplace else in the city to shop for good suits on a decent price let me know

Classic colors in a interview suit are hard to find on sale. Solid Charcoal or Navy.

I don't know much about NYC though.

In that price range I would check out a Hickey Freeman on sale, and then maybe Brooks Brothers. I think BB is still having an annual sale.

Best of luck.

Ohh century 21 will have ton of traditional suits.. It is a high end retail outlet store that is HUGE

I just want to know what brands have full canvas suits that are of very high quality and not just a name

You should check out the forums at askandyaboutclothes.com.
If you thought guys were obsessive at B+B.....!

yep, askandy is the place. There's a "fashion" forum -- the busiest forum on the site -- with a broader take on style. And there's a "trad" forum for the classic Ivy look. Good advise available on each one. The "search" function is your friend there. Lots of great information ...

I can never ever recommend that any one go to century 21 as it is one of the most miserable experiences known to mankind. When water tourure fails to break suspected terrorists the CIA turns them lose in that store on a saturday, most are begging to spill their guts in less then 10 minuets.

If your in NYC why not try to hit of some of the boutiques that are having sales? I would go to Rag And Bone in the west village or Soho, then to Bblessing which is (unfortunately) having its closing down sale. I'm going to be sad when its gone as its run by two of the nicest guys I have met and has amazing style. Then go up town and check out Bergdorf Goodmans and Barnys if you can't find what your looking for any where else you can find it there.

Also I believe Alton Lane is still taking orders at $600 for a fully custom black label suit, not to bad. You will have to enquire about show room availability www.altonlane.com

I can never ever recommend that any one go to century 21 as it is one of the most miserable experiences known to mankind. When water tourure fails to break suspected terrorists the CIA turns them lose in that store on a saturday, most are begging to spill their guts in less then 10 minuets.

If your in NYC why not try to hit of some of the boutiques that are having sales? I would go to Rag And Bone in the west village or Soho, then to Bblessing which is (unfortunately) having its closing down sale. I'm going to be sad when its gone as its run by two of the nicest guys I have met and has amazing style. Then go up town and check out Bergdorf Goodmans and Barnys if you can't find what your looking for any where else you can find it there.

Also I believe Alton Lane is still taking orders at $600 for a fully custom black label suit, not to bad. You will have to enquire about show room availability www.altonlane.com

HAHAHA see I love that part of century 21

going shoulder to shoulder with crazy euros who are buying a million things because it is cheap and then they get a crazy exchange rate

Totally agree on going with a charcoal or navy suit. Single-breasted, single vent, flat front trousers, and no cuffs. Maybe not adventurous, but it'll last you for decades. Brooks Bros. and Hickey Freeman are traditional American manufacturers, too. They usually supply all the suits for Presidents.

I don't agree with always buying new. If you know your measurements, you can find amazing deals on eBay. One of my favorites is a Hickey Freeman found for about $80. Spend a little more to have it tailored nicely, cleaned and pressed. No one will ever know you bought secondhand and you will look wonderful.

Ok so update

Went to century 21 got a very nice navy Hickey suit for $499

So the outfit is going to be

Navy suit
White shirt
Tie is a slightly off white cream navy and yellow stripe
Brown shoes and belt

Pretty happy overall

PS it is an interview with Princeton so I kinda wanted to get an old scool IVy league look going

So I have a job interview coming up soon and I need a new suit. Im giving myself about $500 to $600 after all is said and done...

I Am doing to NYC this weekend and was thinking I would stop at Century 21 and maybe pick up a Burberry suit marked way down or something similar

My question is are suits of makes such as that made well or is it just a name? I'm looking for something very high in quality that will be a great suit for a very long time..

If somebody knows someplace else in the city to shop for good suits on a decent price let me know

If you want a quality suit at that will last a long time what you need is a suit the is made with a floating canvas construction, not a fused construction.

The floating canvas is what makes a Bespoke suit different to a made to measure suit.

It will hold its form unlike a fused jacket that after a dozen dry cleanings just sags

And because of its floating construction it can be adjusted by a good tailor to make a good fit a perfect fit

If you want the suit to last purchase a second pair of trousers and ware in rotation.

Check out http://www.tmlewin.co.uk/MensSuitProductList.aspx/MenswearSuits

I have a few of these suits and they are simply class and the best alternative unless you have a couple of thousand for a Savile row Bespoke and six months to a year to wait for a fitting.

Oxxford makes an outstanding suit. Wear black or cordovan/wine/oxblood laced shoes with blue and grey suits; brown with brown suits. Having suit trouser fitted for braces/suspenders which make them drape naturally and don't forget to have heel stays/fabric reinforcers on the trousers.

Show 'em how!

Last edited:
I may be wrong but I was planning on wearing brown shoes with navy suit... Isnt black and navy a no no?

Oxxford makes an outstanding suit. Wear black or cordovan/wine/oxblood laced shoes with blue and grey suits; brown with brown suits. Having suit trouser fitted for braces/suspenders which make them drape naturally and don't forget to have heel stays/fabric reinforcers on the trousers.

Show 'em how!

I may be wrong but I was planning on wearing brown shoes with navy suit... Isnt black and navy a no no?

Not a no no as such just very conservative. But if wearing brown shoes be sure you have a matching brown dress belt.

I never wear black with a Navy or Grey suit for business as it just dull everything down and in an interview you want to make a first impression.

For Any one who is interested in the art of that goes into a savile row suit, and what the difference between a Bespoke and a made to measure suit is.

Check out the site below which tells you everything you wanted to know but were afraid to ask about suits at their best.

Not to mention hours of great reading.

http://www.englishcut.com/

Ok so update

Went to century 21 got a very nice navy Hickey suit for $499

So the outfit is going to be

Navy suit
White shirt
Tie is a slightly off white cream navy and yellow stripe
Brown shoes and belt

Pretty happy overall

PS it is an interview with Princeton so I kinda wanted to get an old scool IVy league look going

Perfect look, make sure the belt matches the shoes.

Top Bottom