What's new

yet another.... new comer

Anyway, just saying hi and checking myself in with a few questions.

I have also loved a super close shave,,, I would do numerous passed with the mach 3 w/o re-lathering, didn't get to many problems but got into DE shaving for the nostalgia and so called "cost savings" haha what a joke that part was.

I got my grandfathers gillette slim, Art of shaving shave soap(unscented), jack black shaving brush and been using a CVS brand blade Ordered sample pack from Westcoast so waiting. Also use dermalogica preshave guard and aftershave balm and I was a little miss lead and kinda rushed the purchase of the jackblack brush and kinda wish I didn't being its not badger hair any opinions on this? Also my shaves are not completely smooth, and want to achieve this. Any suggestions are welcome, I was thinking problem was the blades also, what should I dial the razor in?

Welcome to B&B, we're glad to have you. As for dialing in your razor, seeing you already have an adjustable, I generally recommend starting out at 3. It is mild but not to mild and not aggressive at all. I would also suggest you not change the setting until you've had a half dozen shaves to get the feel.

Then go from there....Enjoy!!!

Welcome!

As for the brush, a boar hair brush would be perfectly fine to start with; Especially with hard soaps. That's currently all I use (face lathering with hard soaps.)

As for the shaves not being completely smooth; I wouldn't blame the blade at this point. In fact, stick with one brand for a while until you are comfortable with your technique. You will quickly discover grain direction and will become more effective on the final ATG pass.

Hope that helps!

Several of our synthetic brush lovers here enjoy that Jack Black brush. If you have no opposition to animal hair you might try an inexpensive boar or badger brush if the current one isn't to your liking.

I spent my first week or two using the same setup every shave. In your case, I would ditch the CVS blades as soon as my sampler gets in. I'd go with Derby blades first because, while they aren't the sharpest, they are very smooth for most folks.

Welcome to B&B,

there are some stickies at the tops of the forums that may help you, slim's are very nice shavers with a little patience you will have DFS in no time

Welcome to B&B!

Welcome to B&B, we're glad to have you. As for dialing in your razor, seeing you already have an adjustable, I generally recommend starting out at 3. It is mild but not to mild and not aggressive at all. I would also suggest you not change the setting until you've had a half dozen shaves to get the feel.

+1

As someone who also started with an adjustable, I second the notion of dialing it to a setting and then leaving it there for a few weeks while you develop your technique.

DFS "Darned" Fine Shave:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
BBS Baby "Bottom" Smooth:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Note: Terms within " " have alternate wording associated with them. I have selected what I consider to be polite :blush::blush::blush: society reading of the abbreviations.

Welcome to B&B...

...oh and as you can see, Ray gives great advice.

Top Bottom