What's new

Yaqi synthetic 26 mm. My feedback so far.

Well a lot has been said about these types of brushes. This is my first synthetic. I was curious to try it. So far compared to my other boar brush, these are my comment :

Pro:
A great leather
Nice handle grip , although a bit heavy
It get dries so quickly
Good backbone
Very soft tips

Cons:
It doesn't splay in uniformity at a circle form most of the times. Needs a bit of more force than my boar brush.

Anyway so far I am surprised how fast and how much lather it produces. Glad to receive some comments from you and feedback on synthetic brushes that splay as a boar brush or better.

Below are my only two brushes.

IMG_20180328_164418.jpg

Thanks guys.

I shaved today with my boar brush ( a week pause( and my synthetic one splays like a cold water removed wet boar brush. Well I think I found a comparison. :)

Hmm.. I need to contradict myself regarding the splay.

I tried to soak this brush before the shave today and did not shake the water too much. Well I got a lot of nice splay. This brush needs water inside I guess. Well, I learned a new thing today and I will test it tomorrow to prove it.

I am impressed how much lather it makes. Really nice!

I have a question. Do you think that even synthetic brushes have a sort of break in? I know that these are fibres but the brush is sort of improving.

I think this brush splays better if you let hot water run into it and not shake it all. It's a personal style but I am more satisfied than in the beginning.

I can say that over time my Whipped Dog Ubersoft, APShaveCo Cashmere, and Turn-N-Shave Angel Hair certainly have broken in with time. They all are much softer and easier to use since receiving them, not that they needed it, but definitely a noticeable difference. Time will tell when it comes to the WD Silksmoke though as its a much springier knot and if it is the same fibers as the Tuxedo's I've owned it won't get much better...

My RazoRock plissoft style synthetic hasn't changed after almost a year and half of part time use. I've never heard of there being any reason to soak a synthetic brush either.

I usually throw whichever brush I'm using that day in the sink while its filling up with hot water while I'm gathering my soap/AS and razor for the days shave, then wring it out and proceed to load it. My 1st pass of lather is usually kinda warm and feels great going on. Its just a personal choice to let it soak in the water while I get things ready...

I don't soak, but of I let hot water running in the brush, it splays much better. I think because the fiber gets warm then I get more splay. If I get it wet with a less warm water it needs more force to splay. I am learning to control it via the warmth of the water so far. Hope the fibres resist although the hot water is not that of high temperature.

My RazoRock plissoft style synthetic hasn't changed after almost a year and half of part time use. I've never heard of there being any reason to soak a synthetic brush either.

Last edited:
These are my synthetic brushes.

full

The Omega Hi Brush (center) has the most backbone and acts very similar to an Omega boar brush. The floppiest of the lot is the Plisson Cade. Many folks like the brush - for me, it's just OK. However, the Maggards synthetic with the Plisson knot (far right) does a great job. It has more backbone than the Plisson. The brush on the far left is an AP Shaving Tuxedo and the second from right is the Yaqi. The Yaqi for me has just a tad more backbone than the AP Shaving.

I also have two synthetics with Muhle knots. One made by Muhle and one by Rudy Vey. For me, these are the best of the lot.

I never had to break in any of these brushes.

My routine is to dunk the brush in water and then give it one shake to remove the excess. That works the best for me.

@ackvil

Nice synthetic collection. Which one gets more usage by you?

Thanks. Here are the two with the Muhle Silvertip Fibre Knots. The Muhle on the left is in my travel bag and is used whenever I travel. The one on the right was made by Rudy Vey.

604095-ec9fe72ae558e847bd949f515c6230b0.jpg

All of my synthetics (except for the Muhle) are in my home rotation and are used equally. I use one shaving brush a day and then go on to the next one on my rotation. I have more badger brushes than synthetics - but the synthetics are growing!

My Yaqi Tuxedo 26 mm. seems to give me the perfect combination of backbone and soft tips,
creates a beautiful rich lather with creams and soft soaps, holds that lather quite nicely, and is
a pleasure to use. It's an all around terrific brush.

Image 3-7-18 at 3.57 PM (1).jpg IMG_0086.jpg

Here it is all lathered up, and sitting handsomely between my two RazoRock Plissofts.

@Adam18

It's not a bad brush at all. Since I got it, I am trying to get the best out of it. The fact that it doesn't need to get soak in water, has turned it into the main brush.

The question is: is there any other synthetic brush better than this for face lathering? What knot, what size? :)

@Adam18

It's not a bad brush at all. Since I got it, I am trying to get the best out of it. The fact that it doesn't need to get soak in water, has turned it into the main brush.

The question is: is there any other synthetic brush better than this for face lathering? What knot, what size? :)

It's all a matter of personal taste. “Better for face lathering ? ...”
It depends on what you like, as “better” is totally subjective.
Both my RazoRock Plissoft synthetics are wonderful face lathering brushes..... at their low price, I recommend that you buy them and see for yourself. You may be as happy with them as I am. Have fun !

I am adding my last comments.

I think after using it for 2 months, this brush is a good all around performer. I learned how to make it splay as I want. It splays better when you warm the fibers with hot water. Even 30 seconds under hot running water would be enough. Also, using the brush with two fingers at the knot, (similar to what Italian barbers do) can make it splay wonderfully. I hope this brush lasts.

I have a final comment on the handle. It is a beautiful material, but I think the brush is not so nice aesthetically in dimension. I think that a 0.5 - 1 cm shorter brush and a bit lighter would had turned this brush into a true beauty. However this doesn't impact the brush performance.

My vote is higher than it was on my first comment it this thread. It is interesting to see how your first perception is changed after you improve your shaving technique.

My next goal is to find the other best synthetic brush for my needs. I am thinking about a 30 mm cashmere knot in a shorter and lighter handle and a bit denser. I am not sure if a 24 mm knot would work for me, but I will consider only if I will not become satisfied with my potential 30mm brush.

I own 3 shaving brushes right now and 2 of them are the ones in your picture albsat. Today my 3rd one (Yaqi Mysterious Space Color Tuxedo 26mm) arrived. First impression: heavy, absolutely gorgeous handle, soft tips, decent amount of backbone. It lost 2 bristles during its first shave though. Hope this isn't going to happen every shave. The 3 shaving brushes that I own are:

- Proraso Professional Shaving Brush (boar hair)
- Virginia Sheng Finest 2-Band Badger (badger hair)
- Yaqi Mysterious Space Color Tuxedo 26mm (synthetic hair)

I own 3 shaving brushes right now and 2 of them are the ones in your picture albsat. Today my 3rd one (Yaqi Mysterious Space Color Tuxedo 26mm) arrived. First impression: heavy, absolutely gorgeous handle, soft tips, decent amount of backbone. It lost 2 bristles during its first shave though. Hope this isn't going to happen every shave. The 3 shaving brushes that I own are:

- Proraso Professional Shaving Brush (boar hair)
- Virginia Sheng Finest 2-Band Badger (badger hair)
- Yaqi Mysterious Space Color Tuxedo 26mm (synthetic hair)

Enjoy it man. It's funny. I have been thinking about getting a Virginia 2 Band also when they had a big discount last week.

Top Bottom