What's new

Yaqi DLC brass and zinc, matte black. Any opinions?

Hello to all! I wanted to ask about a safety razor I found online which is being sold rather cheap.

It's the yaqi DLC brass and zinc, matte black.

The reviews say that its quality is up to par with the more known brands (muhle, merkur) but it's cheaper. I also like the way it looks. Does anybody have any experience with this razor? Do you think it's a good buy or should I wait and acquire something from the better known brands??

Thank you!

PS: I am also looking at yaqi brushes. Really curious to try a synthetic but high quality brush.

I have this razor but in chrome. It is a very good razor, but...
That black coating is not very long lasting, mind you. It could fall off even after only 2 years. Only the handle is brass. The head is ZAMAK, but then again it the same with most Muhle and Merkur razors. The real problem with the black Yaqi is after the plating falls off the ZAMAK will quickly deteriorate.
You should know that the Yaqi head is more aggressive than the Merkur or Muhle razors. Also the blade will not be always aligned even as with Muhle and Merkur, you will have to align it by hand.
I hope I answered your question concerning the razor.

I have this razor but in chrome. It is a very good razor, but...
That black coating is not very long lasting, mind you. It could fall off even after only 2 years. Only the handle is brass. The head is ZAMAK, but then again it the same with most Muhle and Merkur razors. The real problem with the black Yaqi is after the plating falls off the ZAMAK will quickly deteriorate.
You should know that the Yaqi head is more aggressive than the Merkur or Muhle razors. Also the blade will not be always aligned even as with Muhle and Merkur, you will have to align it by hand.
I hope I answered your question concerning the razor.

Thank you for replying!

I went with an R41 grande instead.

Hi...to share my experience...ymmv of cors.
I have had this razor since last year and although the black coating can be seen starting to wear-off just minutely...it is one of my best DE razor in term of smooth and efficient shave...
Shave performance wise can be the same as my Game Changer.84-P SB.
Initially when I get it after the EJ89 I find it was really aggressive...but in time...not anymore and now...I can auto-cruise with it...
I don't have any issues with blade alignment so far. Every shave the blade was spot on.
I did not regret getting this razor..for the price and the shave quality (for myself that is)
This was just a few days ago..
20201103_071055.jpg

20201102_163226.jpg

Hope this helps..

I had my first shave with the matte black today, loaded with a fresh ASCO orange.

Very nice blade feel, the blade exposure + gap combo made it feel like the razor was getting really close and could bite, but it did not even give me a weeper. BBS after 3 passes!

Top Bottom