What's new

Yaqi adjustable razor

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Is the brass exactly the same as the chrome? (Other than the metal of course.)

I like TFC okay but wish it had a lower and smoother low end. It has, on the lowest setting, a bit too much blade feel for me going ATG S-N on my sensitive upper lip.

Thanks and happy shaves,

Jim

I like TFC okay but wish it had a lower and smoother low end. It has, on the lowest setting, a bit too much blade feel for me going ATG S-N on my sensitive upper lip.

Thanks and happy shaves,

Jim
I haven't used either in a while now but I personally find the Brass TFC razor a little more mild than the Zamak version. It is also more mild than my Pearl Flexi.
If its on sale and you are really feel compelled then maybe consider buying it or if you are able to borrow one then even better.

I just looked at my notes and on the lowest setting using a Gillette Minora blade it was very mild (well at least mine was/is), it was so mild that I had to up the settings to 2 then 3. I would find it hard to believe that it wouldn't work for you. If worse comes to worse you can use a more mild blade like a Derby and it might hit the mark more perfectly for you. Doing such things has worked wonders for me in many other razors such as the REX Ambassador.
I believe the highest setting I have gone was 6 but I felt that at 5 it was a better balance of efficiency to smoothness as setting 6 was probably a bit too much for my neck.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I haven't used either in a while now but I personally find the Brass TFC razor a little more mild than the Zamak version. It is also more mild than my Pearl Flexi.
If its on sale and you are really feel compelled then maybe consider buying it or if you are able to borrow one then even better.

I just looked at my notes and on the lowest setting using a Gillette Minora blade it was very mild (well at least mine was/is), it was so mild that I had to up the settings to 2 then 3. I would find it hard to believe that it wouldn't work for you. If worse comes to worse you can use a more mild blade like a Derby and it might hit the mark more perfectly for you. Doing such things has worked wonders for me in many other razors such as the REX Ambassador.
I believe the highest setting I have gone was 6 but I felt that at 5 it was a better balance of efficiency to smoothness as setting 6 was probably a bit too much for my neck.

Thank you very much. Helpful information.

I have tried to sign into my Aliexpress account and been unable to. It also won't allow me to reset my password. Perhaps this is a sign from God? Perhaps I'll try again tomorrow?

No, I was not fixing to pull the trigger. I was just looking. I'm just considering whether the razor would suit me or not.

I'm also not wild about buying from China more than we all have to these days.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Ok, I just disassembled the razor. I was wrong, the red dot does not offset to #1 over time. It never fit properly. It seems my #1 offsets to #1.2 generally.

But anyway, within the very same scaling system my references keep consistent to eachother. However, I cannot compare to others.

When disassembling, the razor felt a bit flimsy. If they ever decide to produce a stainless steel version I would buy it immediately. The additional weight would also prevent me from pressing too much, which I tend to with lighter razors.

Now I need paint for the dialing numbers....

Is yours the TFC or the brass?

Just curious.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Thank you very much. Helpful information.

I have tried to sign into my Aliexpress account and been unable to. It also won't allow me to reset my password. Perhaps this is a sign from God? Perhaps I'll try again tomorrow?

No, I was not fixing to pull the trigger. I was just looking. I'm just considering whether the razor would suit me or not.

I'm also not wild about buying from China more than we all have to these days.

Happy shaves,

Jim
You're welcome.

That's unusual. I have never ordered anything from Aliexpress if I am being honest but it sounds very odd.
Hahaha maybe!

Gotcha! I have noticed that the costs have ballooned out in Australia for this razor and I would certainly not pay what they are asking for it. It's no shot at the razor itself but I feel like the markup is a bit ridiculous now for that to be an option for anyone.

Yes I totally understand your sentiments in regards to not having to buy from china unless strictly necessary.

Thanks and happy shaves,

Jim
The brass is smoother for me, it's machined instead of cast so the tolerances look to be better. I tried the lower end on both but I really don't think I can answer if it's smooth enough for you. Brass to me has a touch less blade feel than the chrome, but if you're bothered by coatings like the lacquer on the brass ATT plates or Merica/Yates stonewash you might have an issue with drag on the brass TFC also.
I think the clamping is better on the brass also with slightly more coverage on the blade. Base is also milled to what looks like the same angle on the cap. The blade angle also is slightly different, I think the blade has just a little more bend on the brass.
Images below with most of the differences that can be seen.

20230430_212949.jpg

20230430_213126.jpg

20230430_213304.jpg

20230430_213646.jpg

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
The brass is smoother for me, it's machined instead of cast so the tolerances look to be better. I tried the lower end on both but I really don't think I can answer if it's smooth enough for you. Brass to me has a touch less blade feel than the chrome, but if you're bothered by coatings like the lacquer on the brass ATT plates or Merica/Yates stonewash you might have an issue with drag on the brass TFC also.
I think the clamping is better on the brass also with slightly more coverage on the blade. Base is also milled to what looks like the same angle on the cap. The blade angle also is slightly different, I think the blade has just a little more bend on the brass.
Images below with most of the differences that can be seen.

View attachment 1647145

View attachment 1647146

View attachment 1647147

View attachment 1647148

Thank you very much for all that helpful information. I see what you're talking about, too.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Pulled the TFC V3 out for a late evening shave yesterday. Also installed a fresh Bolzano Superinox blade into the TFC and it was a superbly smooth performing shave. Besides that, nothing new nor any newfound shave revelations to bring forth that most here haven't experienced. Just a real good quality shave from a very cost friendly razor that rivals other razors costing many times over. I've had my TFC for almost a year and a half and not a single issue or negative comment on performance nor make up to point out nor mention. Great shave from a great cheapie.

*On a side note. There is some news floating around on social media sites and a couple other shave forums that I won't mention here with info that there is a Stainless Steel version in the mix and that it's in the testing/developmental stages as I write this. Some that have been craving an SD version might be in luck in the near future. I might just jump in too if it were to come to fruition. We'll see in the coming months....

IMG_20230524_054552.jpg

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I believe I can't share a link to this forum as per rules but, I was able to download a pic from their site. It's called the Yaqi Ultima TFC in Stainless.
You can check up on it on Reddit...

View attachment 1659369
I have seen a similar photo on another forum and they also had gap plates for even a better adjustable (proto type testing for ideal gap to start their SS TFC?)fine tuning of a person's shave, Yaqi has some talent in their machine shop producing interesting high end shave products of lately.
Thanks for sharing!

Last edited:
I have seen a similar photo on another forum and they also had gap plates for even a better adjustable (proto type testing for ideal gap to start their SS TFC?)fine tuning of a person's shave, Yaqi has some talent in their machine shop producing interesting high end shave products of lately.
Thanks for sharing!

Yes, they also had that pic on the Reddit site. Just difficult to download the pics from there. For me at least...

I believe I can't share a link to this forum as per rules but, I was able to download a pic from their site. It's called the Yaqi Ultima TFC in Stainless.
You can check up on it on Reddit...

View attachment 1659369
two things, that's my pic, I took it Monday when I received it and its called just the
Ultima , no tfc addition and its a beauty, both to look at and shave with.

Last edited:
Top Bottom