What's new

Ya like Dags? My foray into wet shaving and the honorable order of aquisition

Great Shavins! That Jernbolaget is gonna take extra time to set the bevel, once that is accomplished it's easy peasy refining. That is what I've learned in my rendezvous' with my Swedes. And I have butter-knived quite a few to make my life difficult. As you know, it is very worth it in the end. The edge lasts a long long time. :thumbup:

Great stuff Josh. Sorry to hear about the troubles with the Jernbolaget. I've had the same thing happen with a few of my straights while honing and it's always frustrating. but it will come out great when you're done.

Thanks Eric. I think I fixed most of the issues with geometry, so it should go smoothly from here on out.

Hey Josh,

Sorry to hear that you did not get the ERN's. Great shave with the SS today - 3 passes and near Grail quality is very very nice!

Never heard of that band, but will have to check them out.

Have a good afternoon!

Thanks Pete! I was only going to put a cheeky low bid in for them, as they aren't a necessity. The Red Tip gave a great shave, very little to shave off this morning!

Special reserve as a night time splash...intense. I am wearing the special reserve this morning, definitely one that has some kick.

I really dislike honing with tape but I'm finding it useful at times. I've played with go no tape, followed by tape then back to no tape (all starting with 1k or 5k). My thinking was that I could coax a new geometry at the very edge and avoid the need for tape in the future. Some blades are more forgiving of my experimentation than others ...and my wedge STILL sucks.

I got so angry at my wedge I taped the edge and went to the diamond plate. When I was done the old spine was gone and nice clean flat spot was in its place. I can't say what I was thinking or if I've made things better or worse we will have to see how it turns out.

The Special Reserve was interesting as a night splash...I'm going to try again with it soon. I'm in the same boat IRT honing with tape, but I'm finding with many of the vintage razors tape keeps the integrity of the geometry without risking additional spine wear. LOL...I about did the same thing yesterday trying to even out the spine across the length...but didn't have the time or the calipers to measure that. Hopefully it works for ya!

Great Read and photo Josh

Thanks Dave!

4711 - good juice!

I really do enjoy the scent, I just wish it had more longevity!

Jernbolaget - Swedish = No, I'm not going to make your life easy! :lol:

4711 - good juice!

Great Shave! :thumbup:

That's about as true as it gets regarding honing swedish steel! Thanks Dan!

Great Shavins! That Jernbolaget is gonna take extra time to set the bevel, once that is accomplished it's easy peasy refining. That is what I've learned in my rendezvous' with my Swedes. And I have butter-knived quite a few to make my life difficult. As you know, it is very worth it in the end. The edge lasts a long long time. :thumbup:

I'm looking forward to getting this and the other Jern in fighting shape! They're both nimble little things, so will be fun to shave with.

Wednesday, 30 November, 2016 – PannaCrema Nostalgia

Honing notes

I had the opportunity to break away and work some more on the Jern. I ended up butter knifing the edge, putting three layers of tape on. After about 15 minutes of laps and circles on the 1500 shapton, it still wasn’t hitting the entire edge, so I went ahead and grabbed a 400 grit plate and started over, yet again. This time I was going for maximum effect with as few laps as possible to get the blade profile correct. After about 20 laps on the 400, I switched to the 1k, then back to the 1.5k. After 45 minutes, I was hitting the entirety of the blade with a nice even bevel, and even scratch marks across the length. Now I have to take it to the 5k Shapton, then through the nagura progressions on the Shobudani. Hopefully I’ll have it completed either today or tomorrow…so I can start on the other Jern. I’m praying that doesn’t have the geometry issues this one has. I will be starting with 2 layers of tape on that one, however. I have yet to clean that one up, but it is in much better shape than the one I’m working on, (which I’ve named Daisey Dreadnought due to the shape of the point/barber’s notch).

Nightly Lather

No nightly lather last night…the bed was that much more appealing.

Prep: Hot Shower | Stirling Hot Apple Cider
Pre-shave: CBLindsay’s Rosemary Preshave soap | hot towel
DE Razor: Schick Injector E2
DE Blade: Schick Injector Blade (2)
Brush: Rudy Vey 26mm Butterscotch “Chubby” TGN Finest 2-Band
Soap: PannaCrema Nostalgia
Bowl: The Shaving Place Mountain Blue Glazed Lather Bowl
Post-shave: Alum | Cold towel | Thayer’s Cucumber Witch Hazel | Nivea Men Facial Cream
Aftershave: Fine L’Orange Noir
Fragrance: Terre D’Hermes
Album of the Day: Prince and the Revolution - Purple Rain
Song of the Day: When Doves Cry
$SOTD20161130.jpg
The morning shave

Orange dirt day out here…so the soap pairing of PC Nostalgia, Fine L’Orange Noir and Terre D’Hermes were all selected. This was the last day of my stretch of no-straight shaves, and I grabbed one of my Injectors, the one I won during the Sue Moore Auction. This is an E2 model, whereas the other I own is a G1. I have to say, I prefer the way this one shaves, and it showed in the results today. Three hybrid passes today and one clean-up, and I walked away with a BBS shave and some mild irritation, maybe a 3/10 from the alum. I attribute this mainly to using too much pressure in spots, (chasing of course), and just a general lack of familiarity with the proper angle for this razor. (only the 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] full shave with a ‘jectah!) I found it extremely easy to use, and it gave a wonderful result. I did go a little too heavy on the EdP, so I was walking around in a dirty orange cloud for the first few hours of the day. But, as bad as the air smells out here, people weren’t complaining.

The Music

Nostalgia was the word of the day apparently, so music from my childhood got the call, and it was Prince who answered. This is such a great album which showed Prince’s ability to arrange and write such appealing music. Granted, at that time, I was in the Michael Jackson camp, but Prince has grown on me quite a bit. It was a sad day in the music world when he passed this last year. As good as the album is, and the songs on it, there was only one song which could have gotten the song of the day pick, and that’s “When Doves Cry”.

Hey Josh,

Very nice shave with the Injector! Orange Dirt day here in MA as well - as I used the Fine L'Orange Noir like you with a big 4-spray helping of the Olivier - black Touch. How do you tell an E1 from an E2 model - is it the presence of 2 serial numbers vs. 1 on the E1's?

Have a good afternoon!

Hey Josh,

Very nice shave with the Injector! Orange Dirt day here in MA as well - as I used the Fine L'Orange Noir like you with a big 4-spray helping of the Olivier - black Touch. How do you tell an E1 from an E2 model - is it the presence of 2 serial numbers vs. 1 on the E1's?

Have a good afternoon!

The only way I knew this was an E2 was due to the packaging, as mine came with the original box and the site I used happened to have a picture of the same.

very nice! I did have a question though. What is the 400 grit plate that you have? I am thinking about getting one to make my honing adventures a little easier.

Coming off of the 400, I did do some laps (maybe 20 mid to light pressure) on the 1k prior to moving to the 1.5k Shapton to help get some of the rough edges (they look SCARY under a loupe!) from the 400 out. So, short answer, yes, you can use the 1k for bevel setting.

I love my E-2, one of the better razors ever made IMHO. So Orange is the new Black¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Have a great day and I'm looking forward to seeing how the Jern performs for you.

Thanks Dan...I was surprised how good a shave it was, considering that 14 hours later and I'm still just past DFS into a very good CCS shave.

I'm looking forward to the Jern...both of them actually, as I have a feeling they are both going to be really fun shavers!

PM sent btw...

So, [MENTION=87630]cvargo[/MENTION] 's post got me thinking a bit about social dichotomies, hypocrisy and stuff along those lines, and what I've experienced back in CT with these. I had quite a bit more written, but did not want to detract from the wonderful, albeit, tragic message that Chad had posted, so I saved it for here. As Chad stated, please forgive if I offend, it's not my intention whatsoever.

The divide in Utah seems, in some ways, similar to one back in my area in CT, where you have "locals" and "outsiders". I happen to be a local, my own family history in SE CT and RI dating back to the early 1600's, as are many of the families there. Other "locals" are the pockets of Irish, Italian and Portugese. Those were the predominant ethnic groups in the region. The mixture made for a very unique experience, and gave quite a bit of character to the region. It was in the architecture, the food, religion, politics and the work ethic of people. Of course, there is the Naval base there, so there are the transient military families as well. The portugese were the fishermen, while the Irish and Italians held many of the blue collar jobs, while just 15 miles inland, it is mostly dairy and produce farms. The upper crust was normally from old money, with the occasional new person coming in bringing needed business. Over the past 2+ decades, this has slowly gone away...

On the flip side, you have the outsiders...wealthy families from New York and Boston buying up all of the land and driving real estate prices through the roof, making the area un-affordable for those whose family history is rooted there. They "white-wash" much of the local flavor out in favor of high-end retailers, restaurants, and businesses tailored to those of means. The locals feel the outsiders are taking any and all character out of the area, while the outsiders feel the locals are too resistant to change and growth. I have a unique perspective on this however, as I have not lived there in almost 17 years, and to me the changes to the area are much more apparent than to my family who has not left. I

t saddens me to know that the SE Connecticut I grew up with disappeared more than 10 years ago while I was serving my country in the military. I understand that it's the way of things, but when I see family struggling to make ends meet because of the rise in cost of living, and the willy nilly attitude of people making these changes because they know they can absorb the higher taxes, fuel costs, etc...it gets a bit frustrating.

On a lighter note, there's a funny name for those whose families are from that area, one that I jokingly call my dad, but embrace as a moniker for myself...Swamp Yankee. Those that are stuck in the mud and refuse to move forward, backward, and are highly resistant to any change...describes my father to a T, lol.

Sorry for the rant, but thanks for reading!

Good Read Josh, and I think that this is inherent to most places nowadays. We have been fortunate here for the most part as our diversity has always been from all over, due mostly to the weather and proximity to the Border. What has changed is crime and drugs. Those same borders that brought all the diversity have now become funnels for the drug and Human traffic trade.

As to changes, our biggest secret ( Sedona, AZ ) was a little hamlet that us natives guarded, due to the beauty peace and tranquility it and the adjacent Oak Creek canyon offered. Well some folks found it and did the same thing. Now it is tough not to find a home less that 750,000, it has now become a tourist trap, very expensive and very busy. Not much you can do except remember the good times right, LOL

Josh funny you mention that about Rhode Island/ Connecticut.

I travelled out there in May to visit family. My uncle was teaching at the War College, and lived in Portsmouth, he is a Colonel in the US Army and is now stationed at Fort Knox. The week that I spent there the family was talking about exactly what you discussed. And they picked that all up in just 3 years time. My cousin is still there because she is attending Roger Williams Law school and that little town of Bristol, Rhode Island is AWESOME... I would love to live there but probably can't afford it.

Last edited:
Thursday, 1 December, 2016 – Martin de Candre – Straight Shave #76

Honing notes and misc…

I was able to get the Jern through the 5k mid-range work last night, and most of the way through the Botan Nagura progression, though I have a little bit more to go to get the 5k grit marks off of the bevel. It’s not surprising considering that I only spent about 15 minutes with the Botan. It’s hitting much more evenly across the edge than it was, but is still a little off. I’m not going to worry about it at the moment, however. It’s not as bad as the Hellberg now, (it was worse before), so I will be able to get through the rest of the progressions fairly quickly. I am still having to hone in three sections, but the edge is refining fairly quick, so not too big a deal. It’s shaving arm hair without any pressure across the entire blade, so the bevel is strong, which is 90% of the battle.

I pulled the trigger yesterday on a new soap at IB…a brand I’ve been wanting to try since just about everyone in our little cadre of journal writers loves. I just haven’t gotten around to it yet. So I remedied that last night and purchased some Saponificio Varesino Stella Alpina soap and AS, along with a wood bowl to keep it in. Many times before I had the Tundra Artica, 75[SUP]th[/SUP], Cosmo, or Felce Aromatica in the cart, but couldn’t pull the trigger. With the release of the new scent, I figured it would be a good time to grab it. I’m looking forward to giving it a test drive once it comes in. I’m expecting it to be a top tier performer, which will spur another purchase of maybe the TA or Cosmo.

I have two soap brands that I’m wanting to try but will probably wait until I’m back stateside. Sudsy Soapery and Nuavia…it’s becoming harder to justify more products just due to the fact that eventually I will have to box up and ship all of this home, and I have limited space to keep things. Plus, SS doesn’t ship APO, so I can wait to give it a try, lol.

Nightly Lather

PAA’s The Beach got the call last night for the nightly lather, and it’s quickly becoming a favorite scent for the night routine. There was very little stubble, still at an SAS/CCS 16 hours later, evidence of how good a shave yesterday was. Topped off with some WH, lotion and the matching AS. There was a little bit of burn from the AS, I’m guessing from some lingering irritation I experienced that morning.

Prep: Hot Shower | Stirling Hot Apple Cider
Pre-shave: CBLindsay’s Rosemary Preshave soap | hot towel
Strop: CBLindsay turkish linen (25) | TomoNagura Firehose (50) | TomoNagura Velvet Horsehide (100)
Razor: Eiko 6/8” Wedge
Brush: Rudy Vey 26mm Butterscotch “Chubby” TGN Finest 2-Band
Soap: Martin de Candre
Bowl: The Shaving Place Mountain Blue Glazed Lather Bowl
Post-shave: Alum | Cold towel | Thayer’s Cucumber Witch Hazel | Nivea Men Facial Cream
Aftershave: Stirling Piacenza
Fragrance: Acqua di Parma Colonia Intensa
Album of the Day: The Shins - Wincing the Night Away
Song of the Day: Australia
View attachment 706165
The morning shave

So today begins the stretch to Christmas and my 100[SUP]th[/SUP] straight shave. I’m going to stick to the rotation I’ve established, and first out of the gate is the Eiko. This is the fifth shave on this edge from Karl, and it’s still hitting at an HHT5, impressive for a full wedge. I knew this was going to be a trickier shave, as I haven’t shaved with a straight in over a week, and the Eiko can be a little awkward to handle at times. The lather was predictably great, not a surprise from MdC, and the RV brush just whipped up a lather in a little under a minute. The first pass went by without incident, followed by the second in short order. I could feel a little irritation creeping in on the neck after the 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] pass, but drove on and lathered up for pass three, which I completed without any loss of precious bodily fluids. I did, however, irritate the neck area quite a bit as I was having issues finding the right angle of attack to go ATG there. (hair grows from my left ear to my right ear across my neck). Cleaning up, it felt like I was only at a CCS/DFS-, and the water was giving a bit of sting, making me dread the alum application. The alum only registered a 3-4/10, so not bad at all. The AS was a little more vocal, maybe a 6/10, but calmed the irritation down quite a bit after the burn faded. I checked again after the post shave products were applied, and was pleasantly surprised with a DFS+ shave. I stropped the Eiko 10/20/40 afterwards, a little oil and put up. All in all, even with the irritation, I’m pretty happy with the shave.

The Music

I love The Shins. Light alternative music, but the arrangement of the songs, the lyrics and the tempo of the songs make it fun listening. I was first turned on to this group watching the movie Garden State, with Natalie Portman playing a character who was constantly listening to this group. This album was released in 2006/07, and Phantom Limb was the first single off of it. It’s a great song and would normally get the song of the day selection, but the song Australia just sounded right, so it gets the nod.

Good Read Josh, and I think that this is inherent to most places nowadays. We have been fortunate here for the most part as our diversity has always been from all over, due mostly to the weather and proximity to the Border. What has changed is crime and drugs. Those same borders that brought all the diversity have now become funnels for the drug and Human traffic trade.

As to changes, our biggest secret ( Sedona, AZ ) was a little hamlet that us natives guarded, due to the beauty peace and tranquility it and the adjacent Oak Creek canyon offered. Well some folks found it and did the same thing. Now it is tough not to find a home less that 750,000, it has now become a tourist trap, very expensive and very busy. Not much you can do except remember the good times right, LOL

Unfortunately, you're right. It's just sad in many ways to see the homogonization of society...part of what made places like SE CT, for me, and Sedona, for you so unique is the pockets of unique culture. But memories are always a good place to keep the memory alive! Drugs and Crime are another story...both are getting out of hand. But that is another story entirely!

Josh funny you mention that about Rhode Island/ Connecticut.

I travelled out there in May to visit family. My uncle was teaching at the War College, and lived in Portsmouth, he is a Colonel in the US Army and is now stationed at Fort Knox. The week that I spent there the family was talking about exactly what you discussed. And they picked that all up in just 3 years time. My cousin is still there because she is attending Roger Williams Law school and that little town of Bristol, Rhode Island is AWESOME... I would love to live there but probably can't afford it.

I love that area of the country, but of course I'm biased. I have to agree with my father when he calls it "God's Country". Every place I've been has it's own distinct beauty...aside from maybe mid-western Louisiana...I couldn't find much that was beautiful about that place. LOL.

Great stuff Josh. I hope the Jerns work out great for you.

Thanks Eric!

Good read, Josh!

Thanks Chris!

Top Bottom