What's new

Would you buy an Ubuntu powered smartphone? (CES 2013 demo)

If my choices were apple, droid, windows, or ubuntu, I'd go ubuntu for sure. Provided that RIM keeps in business, I'll not have to test that. lol

I'm too tied into the iOS ecosystem to make a jump like that. It'll take a massive game changer, or iOS being wiped off the planet, for me to change.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I hate it when salespeople memorize a sales pitch then rattle it off at lightning speed. You don't instill confidence in your product that way.

IMO there is to much going on with it. swipe left to bring up this, swipe right to bring up that, swipe up for do da diddy, swipe left then hold your finger to the screen and drag it up for yadda, swipe down at the top and move your finger left or right to get to the milky way galaxy. It is definitely made for the younger generation. Not user friendly.

I agree with John Von Wuggz. It would take iOS being completely gone for me to switch to anything else. Apple makes it way to simple.

I don't know, with Android, IOS, Windows 8, BB10 I'm not sure the market could support another mobile OS. Plus from what I've read on the tech blogs this won't be available until late 2013, early 2014.

I could maybe see this as a low cost smartphone OS for developing markets but I don't see it making a dent in Western or Asian markets.

Ubuntu is one of my fav Linux flavors but I don't see it becoming any more successful than its marketshare of desktops. I like iPhone because it's just plain slick. But I have an Android which is more "hackable". The apps are not nearly as slick as Apple, in many cases. A lot of amateur-ware which is not ready for prime time, or deep menus which require a sextant to navigate. I think that another *nix type phone OS will only water down the talent further. I'd rather see phone vendors focus on bringing good Android designs while it is a viable OS. Windows - not a chance. MS comes off as condescending, plagiarizing and patronizing to the wrong parties. Just say no to the Zune phone.

Ubuntu is one of my fav Linux flavors but I don't see it becoming any more successful than its marketshare of desktops. I like iPhone because it's just plain slick. But I have an Android which is more "hackable". The apps are not nearly as slick as Apple, in many cases. A lot of amateur-ware which is not ready for prime time, or deep menus which require a sextant to navigate. I think that another *nix type phone OS will only water down the talent further. I'd rather see phone vendors focus on bringing good Android designs while it is a viable OS. Windows - not a chance. MS comes off as condescending, plagiarizing and patronizing to the wrong parties. Just say no to the Zune phone.

Lawl. If you hadn't specified Microsoft, I would have sworn you were talking about Google.

OldSaw

The wife's investment

It was fun having Ubuntu on a laptop when I had 2 or 3 other computers as back ups. But a phone is generally something that I only have one of. I can't imagine how it would even save any money either, as the hardware is probably far more expensive than the OS. I'll stick with iOS and all the non-Apple folks can argue over everything else.

Lawl. If you hadn't specified Microsoft, I would have sworn you were talking about Google.

I'm thinking they more harvest every piece of usage data they can. It's all fun and games until the landmark privacy cases come in (or have they). They have done some mad censorship though haven't they?

Top Bottom