What's new

Would It Be A Crime To Unhorse This Brush?

I have this Bullgoose 2012 Vie Long natural horsehair brush. Love the handle, hate the knot. It creates a good lather, but it is downright pokey, like needles. I'm anything but a sensitive skin guy, but this is ridiculous. It has over a dozen shaves on it that I can count, and being a full time face latherer I don't want to use it anymore.

I'm apparently not the only one. While I see good things said about these brushes, they are not in demand. I've tried to sell and trade it at a significant reduction in purchase value with no success, and I've seen the same issue with other sales. It's value is around $25-$30, which is inexpensive, but even at that price, no interest.

So.... I'm thinking of reknotting it. As I said, its a great handle. Turned heavy resin in a big comfortable beehive shape. I believe it accomodates a +/- 25mm knot as is. I like the handle quite a bit. If I were to reknot it, I'd like to perhaps try one of the new high end knots from TGN. Its a little confusing to figure out which are the true best of the best at TGN now, as their descriptions are practically the same, but I'm thinking the 24mm Super Finest, the 24mm Premium Silvertip or maybe even the 24mm High Mountain White.

What are you guys opinions on this idea? Sound like a good plan, what the heck, why not? Or would that be a crime, party foul and offensive to the shaving gods? If you think the former, please share your thoughts, tips, advice, suggestions on what/how to do it. (I've reknotted and restored before) If you think the latter, what would you suggest I do with it?

Thanks fellas!

Attachments

• $VL Brush.JPG
    $VL Brush.JPG
    78.4 KB · Views: 259
Since you don't care for the knot and haven't had any success in selling or trading the brush, I can't think of a good reason not to reknot it. No foul there IMO. Good luck with whatever you decide!

I have a slightly different prblem. I have the same in 50/50 horse/badger. While I love the knot (though wish it had more loft), it's my least favorite handle.
Sorry you're having trouble shifting it!

Less a complaint that it won't sell, and more a justification for my idea :biggrin1:

The 50/50 horse/boar sounds like a winner Tony. I like boar quite a bit. Do you get scritch or scratch from it? I like a bit of that, tells me it's working, but like I said this brush is like pokey scratchy needles!

Sounds like you're thinking about re purposing it instead of throwing it away. For that, I'd say Mother Earth would certainly appreciate it, and IMO she trumps the shaving gods.

Doooo ittttt (and post pics)!

You may end up destroying the knot to remove it...I would be tempted to experiment and try to de-scritch the tips some how...you would have nothing to lose really since the knot is going bye bye otherwise.

horse/BADGER. :)
I got it used on BST, but I get only a little scritch. I need a bit more flop and spread as this one is set way low - maybe around 45mm?

My 100% horse is still one of my favorite brushes - it got a lot less poky over time and still does. Think 50 rather than a dozen uses...

My 100% horse is still one of my favorite brushes - it got a lot less poky over time and still does. Think 50 rather than a dozen uses...

This my experience as well, Tony. I have a Vie Long Sardinero, 100 percent horse (not sure of the mane/tail ratio). Break in was lengthy, but now there's nary a poke left in it. :biggrin1:

I have the same brush with the bleached horsehair and it has broken in well past the prickly stage.

It is definitely scrubby, but the prickles has softened over time. I face lather exclusively and the brush comes up every 7 days in the rotation. I would concur that the high 40 - low 50 use point is where it is finally broken in.

That being said; you paid for it - feel free to reknot it

John, I have been contemplating doing the exact same thing to my dyed BG2012 brush. I haven't tried selling it, but am thinking it would be hard to replace that handle for the price that I could potentially sell it for...

The discomfort I experience while using the horse brush has subsided quite a bit, but still it is nowhere near as enjoyable as my badgers and Semogue boars. I think a nice 24mm fan knot would be a nice upgrade and will be something to get around to in the near future.

Yea, Badger! Thats what I meant Tony! Haha, maybe I was just being hopeful such a thing exsisted. I bet a boarse brush would be great!

I appreciate your thoughts guys! I didn't think it would require a serious break in. I may try and lather the hell out of it in my palm or bowl for a couple weeks, and see what happens then. Right now I cant bring it to my face. And Dave, nice to see I'm not the only one thinking this way, and I think you're right, a fan is the way to go!

So check this out, as if I needed more evidence for my plight. I found these type of hairs/bristles/whatever they are in the brush. This one on the outside edge. These are rigid, sharp and thick and did not relax with soaking. I cut this one off and took a pic next to a QTip for scale. I said needle like, well this is definitely that! I know this brush is a 50/50 mane/tail blend, but what the heck is this? IMO this does not belong in a shave brush. Do you guys brushes have hairs like this?

Attachments

• $evil hair.JPG
    $evil hair.JPG
    52.1 KB · Views: 224
I re knotted my Vulfix 404 and now love it. I loved the handle and hated the knot, now I love them both.

steam it out would be my suggestion. (If its a turned handle, which I'm sure it is). You may lose the writing, but am pretty sure those handles are not printed well to begin with.

Thats great Bruce, thank you!

I will try that when the time comes. I thought that would be soon: I thought I had a trade setup that would lead me to a new knot, but I'm not sure thats happening now. Sooo... Since I can't buy one (Sabbaticalian) I guess I'll have to wait.
:sad:

I saw a few of these for sale in the BST. I really like the handle but not interested in horse hair at all. I would definitely reknot. That would be one great looking brush with a badger knot.

Reknot, I would say.
That knot does not look good to my eyes, way too rough.
I have the same in butterscotch and that softened up nicely.

Rudy Vey might be able to get you a shavemac Finest?
Those are good knots also.

As an alternative, maybe go the synth route?

proxy.php

If not, I think the TGN two band would look fantastic:

$2b3cd0a6a778b272e4eb05ec73db114e.image.300x225.JPG

Top Bottom