What's new

Wostenholm&Son Pipe Razor

Hi, new here and it looks like the place to get information on straight razors. I come from a pocket knife collecting background and over the years have accumulated some straight razors in box lots of knives.
This Wostenholm was a recent acquisition, was wondering if anyone has any information on it, appears to be old, pre 1900, nice condition, not sure the handle material, maybe ivory.
Couple years ago I switched to a safety razor and a brush&soap and like the shaved maybe next step is a straight razor.
IMG_0658.jpg
IMG_0659.jpg
IMG_0661.jpg
IMG_0663.jpg

@sferguson53
Thanks for posting that chart. I'll have to see when mine were made.

It has seen a lot of time on the hones, but it can be made shave ready with some work.
I don't think the scales are original. It appears to have been re-pinned.

@sferguson53
Thanks for posting that chart. I'll have to see when mine were made.

It has seen a lot of time on the hones, but it can be made shave ready with some work.
I don't think the scales are original. It appears to have been re-pinned.

You may be right on the scales, I'm thinking it is French Ivory which is a celluloid that was developed in the late 1860's. Sure has a nice classy look to it. Thanks for your input.

Would love to have that in my shave rotation / collection. Here's a link and image that may help. STRAZORS.com - all about classic razors - George Wostenholm & Son, Sheffield.View attachment 1007476

The mark shown for 1865, is not Wostenholm.
It is interesting because as Wostenholm claims the True Original
Pipe Razor, the mark shown for 1865 is The Other Pipe Razor.
The pipe and dart mark was used on razors by George Johnson
in 1842 and then by Arthur Lambert.

Wostenholme filed unsuccessfully in 1887 and 1889 to prevent Lambert
from using that mark.

Top Bottom