What's new

Items From Dad's Past Razors

My Dad arrived in the USA in New York on Labor Day 1929, a few months before his 18th birthday. These items were in a box of his things. It is time to learn about them while I still can. At age 83, time is no longer 'out of mind.'

I asked Google and it did not find a Henry Sears & Son razor with fancy bolsters like these. Does anyone know what it was called, what years it was in the catalogue? It looks as though the scales are 'synthetic ivory' as they are too uniform to be elephant ivory.

He was using a Gillette safety razor when I first recall seeing him shave. Soon thereafter he was given a gold plated Stahley razor. He dutifully used it for a year or two and went back to another simple Gillette. Unfortunately it disappeared in a move some time in the past.

Thanks for any information anyone can supply.

baumgrenze

274nSE_Sears&Son_G&F_072723.jpg

Hello there @baumgrenze and welcome to Badger & Blade!

I hope you find it entertaining and diverting here.

I'm sure an expert will be along soon to provide more information on your Fathers' razor!

Legion

Staff member
The scales are celluloid. I don't believe the 1865 is when it was made, probably when the company was founded. They also did an 1865 pocket knife with the same scale material. It's roughly early 20's-30's era. That's a nice keepsake to have.

Last edited:
Probably Solingen made under contract for Sears. Plenty were for various hardware stores and US distributors. And the coffin is for a different razor, which is also common 100 odd years later.

if it’s stamped Germany on the other side, that would confirm it. The 4865 might be the model number you could trace to a catalog entry

Legion

Staff member
I found this thread with a bit of company info.

Legion

Staff member
Also, when researching, remember it is possible that the razor originally had different scales that were damaged, and these are a replacement. Happens sometimes, and can make things tricky when you are looking through old catalogues, etc.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
@baumgrenze it is always nice to have something personal from your father.

There is better time than now to get that straight razor professionally honed and cleaned up. Then learn the gentlemanly art of straight razor shaving yourself. Once you do, you will better be able to understand your father's thinking.

I had one of these razors years back. I found it easy to hone and get a great edge on it. As already stated, 1865 was when the company was founded, but your razor was likely manufactured in the 1880-90s timeframe. The scales are celluloid and are the same that my razor had.

Thank you to everyone who responded.

Both my son and I have full beards. The most recent time I again allowed it to grow would have been in 1986. I doubt I will ever be tempted to use the razor on my face.

Thanks all the same.
baumgrenze

Top Bottom