What's new

World’s Mildest (New) Razor?

Hey, Ken....before you exhaust all your razor trials, please give the Yates 921-M a try. I shaved with mine (after several weeks of using other razors) and I'd forgotten how good it really shaves. It's really smooth (little blade feel) and very efficient. You may be missing out on a keeper. ;)
Greg! I order the Ti Henson Aggressive from Kenny. I'm excited to give it a try. I sold off some of my razors earlier this morning because they felt super similar to my Karve plates but I'm excited to try the Henson aggressive.

Greg! I order the Ti Henson Aggressive from Kenny. I'm excited to give it a try. I sold off some of my razors earlier this morning because they felt super similar to my Karve plates but I'm excited to try the Henson aggressive.

I'm sure it will be a great shaver. My mediums work so well for me, I don't think I need to go any farther up the Henson ladder. Let us know how you like it.

Hey, Ken....before you exhaust all your razor trials, please give the Yates 921-M a try. I shaved with mine (after several weeks of using other razors) and I'd forgotten how good it really shaves. It's really smooth (little blade feel) and very efficient. You may be missing out on a keeper. ;)
Actually, someone offered me his Yates 921 in a trade deal, but after some initial research, I declined the offer. Perhaps I will do more research into it. I do like the matte finish. And I don’t think I would even mind the crazy-looking handle 🤪 Thanks for the suggestion!

Actually, someone offered me his Yates 921 in a trade deal, but after some initial research, I declined the offer. Perhaps I will do more research into it. I do like the matte finish. And I don’t think I would even mind the crazy-looking handle 🤪 Thanks for the suggestion!

It's a great shaver. I have the matte and polished versions. I've been trying a few new razors of late so I haven't shaved with my Henson or Yates for a few weeks. I always forget how good those really are until I shave with them again.

It's a great shaver. I have the matte and polished versions. I've been trying a few new razors of late so I haven't shaved with my Henson or Yates for a few weeks. I always forget how good those really are until I shave with them again.
LOVE the way the Yates looks!

LOVE the way the Yates looks!
Just checked the Yates website. First of all, they’re sold out of the 921...and, whenever possible, I try to buy directly from the manufacturer-artisan, because they accept returns. Regular stores (like Maggard) don’t...and so I end up being stuck with a bunch of razors I don’t want. (I just unloaded a bunch of basically brand new razors at a big loss on BST 🙄). But, second (and more important), Yates is coming out with a Ti. Hello?...how come nobody told me this?!🤣 Now, I’m definitely not getting a 921 SS! Titanium razors rock. I would rather have one Ti razor than ten SS or AL razors!
🪒 🪒 🪒 🪒 🪒 🪒 🪒 🪒 🪒 🪒

Ok guys, Huge thanks to Kenny for this thread, and the razors he has passed on through some great deals, including the one I picked up from him! Also a big thanks to those who have contributed great info along with him!
So here is my two cents. Razors I’ve tried:
Henson AL13 mild and medium
ATT Windsor SSR1 and SSM1
ATT aluminum Windsor Pro
RR aluminum lupo
RR game changer .68 and .84
RR mamba .70

The Windsor and AL13 mild I put feathers in, the mediums I put Wilkinson swords in. I used Wilkinson in all the others as well.

The SSR1 and Al13 medium are the clear victors for a combination of comfort and efficiency. A BBS with the most comfort is what these two win at. The SSM1 and AL13 mild are the most comfortable, great for quick DFS shaves. but require to much buffing for a BBS and cause irritation and weepers if I try. The aluminum lupo is a touch more aggressive than any of the above, but gives a great shave and is almost as comfortable. Easy third place. The others eat my face, disqualified! lol!
I’ve also learned if I try to get a bbs every other day to test these razors even if I think my face is up to it I get this! Lol! Time to wait 5 or 6 days and try again.
. image.jpg

Just checked the Yates website. First of all, they’re sold out of the 921...and, whenever possible, I try to buy directly from the manufacturer-artisan, because they accept returns. Regular stores (like Maggard) don’t...and so I end up being stuck with a bunch of razors I don’t want. (I just unloaded a bunch of basically brand new razors at a big loss on BST 🙄). But, second (and more important), Yates is coming out with a Ti. Hello?...how come nobody told me this?!🤣 Now, I’m definitely not getting a 921 SS! Titanium razors rock. I would rather have one Ti razor than ten SS or AL razors!
🪒 🪒 🪒 🪒 🪒 🪒 🪒 🪒 🪒 🪒
Come to think of it, I’ve got a titanium razor on the way. Now who did I get that from again?...😉

Ok guys, Huge thanks to Kenny for this thread, and the razors he has passed on through some great deals, including the one I picked up from him! Also a big thanks to those who have contributed great info along with him!
ATT aluminum Windsor Pro
RR aluminum lupo
RR mamba .70

The Windsor and AL13 mild I put feathers in, the mediums I put Wilkinson swords in. I used Wilkinson in all the others as well.

The SSR1 and Al13 medium are the clear victors for a combination of comfort and efficiency. A BBS with the most comfort is what these two win at. The SSM1 and AL13 mild are the most comfortable, great for quick DFS shaves. but require to much buffing for a BBS and cause irritation and weepers if I try. The aluminum lupo is a touch more aggressive than any of the above, but gives a great shave and is almost as comfortable. Easy third place. The others eat my face, disqualified! lol!
I’ve also learned if I try to get a bbs every other day to test these razors even if I think my face is up to it I get this! Lol! Time to wait 5 or 6 days and try again.
.View attachment 1271528

Out of the razors you've tried, I have the SSR1 and Henson and would agree with your assessment. Both are comfortable and efficient. I use the Ti22 medium Henson and the stainless/copper Windsor. Takes some getting used to the heft of the ATT, but it's a great razor. I also agree with your statement regarding Kennyg2019.....big thanks to him for trying g all these razors.

Out of the razors you've tried, I have the SSR1 and Henson and would agree with your assessment. Both are comfortable and efficient. I use the Ti22 medium Henson and the stainless/copper Windsor. Takes some getting used to the heft of the ATT, but it's a great razor. I also agree with your statement regarding Kennyg2019.....big thanks to him for trying g all these razors.
Greg have you tried any artist club razors? I have a hawk V3 I just received. I’m very excited to give it a try.

at 57 not new to shaving but new to DE :) like you limited experience :)
so do reckon things will change but I am pretty jump in with both feet try kinda guy

the timeless Ti I have is a great weight I prefer it over say my Rex Ambassador which I feel is heavy
I can see more weight carrying the shaver analogy some make letting the weight do the shaving but I am still holding it so I think again personal :) the Ti fit the mark I can see the stainless head Ti handle I tried with the GC .68 changed that shaver I might say for that shave being better and going to go out on a limb and say that small bit heavier head Ti handle has a nice balance
the Stainless handle on the Henson was for me horrid ! way to handle heavy the Ti handle was nice but I think the sleight heavy feel is what I am liking

I do think so far I prefer on the lighter side and not the all SS ? but again who knows a year from now and I might change up my mind on aggressive to but this is making shaving fun again :)

got my straight and scallop base in today for my timeless and did a shave off of those two :) for sure the straight was more mild the scallop a inbetween :) tomorrow will do the comb against one of them
used shark stainless which I find OK but again once I narrow down the razor I will narrow down the blades and while I do all this comparison I am kinda making notes on certain blades but I feel same blade same amount of shaves in a razor a few times does get me a feel for the razor and blades so to me its all experience :)

sure you might be the same way one day great shave one setup the same setup the next day not as good ? that old experience there kicking my face :) hahahahahah OH lack of experience I reckon and when it does its often I am buffing to much in spots ! and then I stop take note on angle and direction and pressure and adjust :)

WOW! THANKS for the detailed information.

I am in the May GRUME group and have pledged not to make any shaving purchases this month. On June 1st, I do plan to get the RR GC .68. Based on comments from @Spang, yourself and others, the Mamba may be too similar to the AL13.

Based on my limited experience, I still prefer light weight razors over their heavier counterparts because it is easier to apply "no pressure" while shaving. The weight factor may be one of the reasons I prefer the Feather Popular over the AS-D2. Also, for example, if I use a KAI, Feather, Gillette or Astra blade in any razor, I will get different results. That said, I DO think this thread has merit and someone should consider making a summarized wiki post.
THANKS AGAIN!

Greg have you tried any artist club razors? I have a hawk V3 I just received. I’m very excited to give it a try.

I have one AC razor that I don't use due to its aggressiveness. It's the Asylum Rx...never could get the hang of it. Every shave left me with some burn and a few weepers. I have a couple of different injector SE razors that work quite well though.

ATT aluminum Windsor Pro
RR aluminum lupo
RR mamba .70

.View attachment 1271528

That's Nature's way of telling you to use a straight. Or an electric. :p

I'm following this thread for some time now and have a Henson on the way because of it lol.

I would recommend The Silversmith razor by Colonial Razors. It is really smooth and have barely any blade feel, but remove the stubble like a champ. To me it is a better version of the Masamune, it is similar but overwall better and smoother. It will be discontinued but is still available on their website. Really good razor.

OK...let the fun come to a conclusion! 🪒 :a30:🪒

Single Elimination Tournament....

Introducing the Competitors:

Rockwell :) 🇨🇦
6C

$50
(Comfort 8/Efficiency 6)

Tatara 😘🇵🇹
Masamune

$200
(Comfort 8/Efficiency 8)

Above The Tie :thumbup: 🇺🇸
Windsor SSM-1

(Comfort 9, Efficiency 9)
$185

Feather 😊 🇯🇵
AS-D2

$175
(Comfort 7, Efficiency 8)

Karve :) 🇨🇦
CB

$90
(Comfort 7.5, Efficiency 8.5)

Timeless🇺🇸 Ti Polished :thumbup:
$300
(Comfort 9, Efficiency 9)

Timeless 🇺🇸 Ti .68 Smooth Matte :badger:
$250
(Comfort 10, Efficiency 9.9)

Timeless🇺🇸 AL :thumbdown
$75
(Comfort 0, Efficiency N/A) Disqualified!

RazoRock 🇨🇦 Mamba .53 😃

$65
(Comfort 9, Efficiency 8)

RazoRock 🇨🇦 BBS 😐
$70
(Comfort 7, Efficiency 8)

RazoRock 🇨🇦 GameChanger .68 :a14:
$65
(Comfort 9.5, Efficiency 9)

RazoRock 🇨🇦 Lupo .72 🐺
$70
(Comfort 4 😿, Efficiency 8)

Henson 🇨🇦 AL13-Mild :a14:
$70
(Comfort 9.5, Efficiency 9)

Henson 🇨🇦 AL13-Medium :a14:
$70
(Comfort 9.5, Efficiency 9.5)

Henson 🇨🇦 Ti22-Medium :a14:
$250
(Comfort 9.75, Efficiency 9.75)

Henson 🇨🇦 Ti22-Aggressive 🤔
$250
(Comfort 8, Efficiency 9.8)

Giesen and Forsthoff 🇩🇪 Timor ☹1353
$40
(Comfort 4, Efficiency 5)

Baili 176 🇨🇳 :rolleyes:
$13.02
(Comfort 5, Efficiency 5)

Carbon CX-Ti .68 R2 🇺🇸 :thumbup:
$358
(Comfort 8, Efficiency 9.5)

Fatip Testina Gentile 🇮🇹 🤔
$30
(Comfort 9...but Handle/Balance= 👎 , Efficiency 8)

Blackbird Ti 🇺🇸 😲🗡
$300
(Comfort 4, Efficiency 10)

King C. Gillette 🇨🇳 :a14:
$23
(Comfort 9.75, Efficiency 9)
Haircut & Shave Co. 🇺🇲 :badger:
Z074 Ti-5

$400
(Comfort 9.8, Efficiency 9.8)

Gentlemen, allow me to introduce to you "the one" ...my first "10" (No...not Bo Derek!)...the Timeless Ti Matte SB 🇺🇲
Timeless Matte.jpg
This is the razor I've been waiting for...for two months...and almost 40 razors later! It ticks off all the boxes...It's super smooth (no nicks, no cuts, no irritation) Somehow, the matte finish feels "softer" than the polished finish (or any other razor!)...It's also efficient (I got my first BBS sans razor burn!) It's also gorgeous (I love the muted color, soft look and hour-glass shape!)...It also feels perfect in hand (the perfect weight, balance, and grip)...It's also "cheap" (only $250 for titanium!).

I did a side-by-side with another All-Star...my new #2...the Haircut & Shave Co. Z074 Ti-5. I can't believe I was privileged with trying the two best razors of my life (no offense, fellow Hensonians!) at the same time! 💕 This was truly a Clash of the Titans!
Clash.jpg

The H&S is almost as good as the Timeless in every respect. The only thing is (as has been pointed out by others in this thread) it has a narrower "sweet spot" than some other razors. It's actually not as hard to find as, say, on the Feather AS-D2 or one of the RazoRocks (Lupo?), so I was able to get an almost identical shave as the Timeless. (No doubt, within a week or two, I will have it dialed in!) One thing that the H&S has over any razor that I've tried is the "music" it produces 🎵 as it cuts your beard...it has this beautiful sound...sort of a cross between a bell...and the sound of whipped cream coming out of the can! I never even noticed the sound a razor makes before!
1621905538098.png
Of course, for $400, I would expect it to sound more like this...

1621908077151.png
😁
New (Final?) Top Three:

1 Timeless 🇺🇸 Ti .68 Smooth Matte
2 Haircut & Shave Co. 🇺🇲 Z074 Ti-5
3 Henson 🇨🇦 Ti22-Medium

Honorable Mention: Tatara Masamune 🇵🇹

In conclusion, I would like to thank all of you guys for helping me on my quest to find the Holy Grail of razors. I now have 4 or 5 razors (Timeless, H&S, Henson, Tatara, and King Gillette lol) that I am going to focus on and practice with (using different blades, soaps, etc). I also have one more razor coming in...the Henson Ti22-Mild ;)I just sold my Henson Ti22-Medium to a lucky gentleman here on B&B.
As the field narrows, I will keep you posted. But I am no longer going to be buying tons of razors. If a new Ti comes out (like from Yates or Karve) I may give it a try. But, otherwise, I'm done. I've accomplished what I set out to do. :thumbup:

P.S. I had two other razors that came in today (the Mühle R89 and the Edwin Jagger DE86). I will post the results in a few days.
P.P.S. For the best bang for the buck, I recommend any Henson AL!

Come to think of it, I’ve got a titanium razor on the way. Now who did I get that from again?...😉
1621909249423.png
😁
Happy for you. Henson is one of the best razors for the money...especially for guys with sensitive skin. For $70 for the AL it simply cannot be beat! The Ti brings it up to another level!

ATT aluminum Windsor Pro
RR aluminum lupo
RR mamba .70

.View attachment 1271528
Ouch! 😲

ATT aluminum Windsor Pro
RR aluminum lupo
RR mamba .70

.View attachment 1271528
My pleasure. Thank you for all your help! Enjoy your new Ti!

upside my matte timeless scallop did not drag on my face like some of the other matte metals I have had did namely the Ambassador and the yates both had this sticky feel

I do love the matte Ti finish of the Timeless and now have all 3 plates 2 polished one in matte but I do prefer the matte for looks just have to figure out the plates !

Kennyg what blade were ya using in your Timeless ?
or what have ya liked blade wise ?
you going to try the scallop and comb bases :)

so far my gillette blue platinum and shark stainless have been my two favs but this is the next thing I need to narrow down :)

Top Bottom