What's new

World's Greatest Wuss . . .

That's my new title. I finally tried my "old" Gillette comb head with a Derby and nearly took my neck off. Even with the Derby being a rather mild blade it took off a thick layer of wattle!

I have also found them lethal, irritating, on the upper lip under the nose. Are the "new" Gillette combs more gentle? They seem to be harder to find on ebay.

Any comb-tooth hints?

Are sure that you are using proper technique? Problems severe as yours sound more like too much pressure or incorrect blade angle than an equipment issue.

Just watch your angle.

The Old types will bite you if you are not paying attention, but if you do everything right they will reward you greatly.

Watch your pressure too. Also double check that the blade is even when tightened. On some there's a bit of play that can lead to a crooked blade.

I think most of the Gillette open comb's are aggressive when paired with a modern blade.:001_smile. The English New being an exception. Maybe a milder blade would help. Before the advent of stainless blades they were all carbon steel and if you talk to an old timer,they will let you know all about how crap they were compared to today's offerings.:001_smile

I don't have any experience with older open combs, but I can say that both my Merkur 1904, and HD open combs give me a really nice shave.

I'll second or third the suggestion on pressure. Just use the weight of the razor as your only pressure, and things should get better. :thumbup1: :thumbup1:

Top Bottom