What's new

Workplace "Etiquite"

OK...it may be obvious that I just located this section of the forums, but it couldn't have come at a better time. :001_smile

I work for a large entertainment company in IT. We have a very loose dress code being part of the music business. It is even more loose in IT...too loose for my taste, but I didn't get a say. My role within the group has changed recently and although I'm not a true manager I do have managerial responsibilities.

Recently I have begun improving the way I dress for work, as well as outside work. Not because of the change in my position, but because I was tired of the "jeans and tee shirt" wear. I wanted to improve the overall look of my team...even if I was the only one working at it. It started out simple enough...jeans with a polo. Then it went to no jeans, except on Friday, and button down shirts most days of the week. Lately, I've been giving thought to wearing a tie, and possibly a suit, occasionally to work. I don't have to do a lot of the lifting and "grunt" work so it wouldn't be an inconvenience to wear one.

Now for my question....

Most of the directors and managers here wear Dockers and a polo shirt most every day. I rarely see anyone wear a tie except when a there is something major going on. Given that my superiors don't wear ties or suits would it be in bad form for me to? I don't want it to seem like I'm jockeying for position because that's not what it is about. I'm simply trying to step up the way I dress...for me....oh...and SWMBO.

Nothing wrong with trying to improve your dress code, and I guess you can wear whatever you want, but I would feel out of place wearing a suit and tie in an established casual atmosphere. Without a formal dress code, I doubt anyone else on your team will "follow suit".

As they say, "dress for the job you want, not the job you have." But, I'd be careful about overly out-dressing your superiors, it might appear like you are trying to make them look bad.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Firstly, congrats on your personal decision to upgrade your dress. It's a great feeling, isn't it?

I would advise against "obviously outdressing" everyone at work, including your bosses, though. It's unfortunate, but we humans are "pack animals" and getting too far away from the pack (by choice) will only mark you out in ways you will not like.

That said, there's nothing wrong with slowly pushing the envelope in hope of creating some longterm change. If no one else is going above a polo shirt, then make sure you are wearing the best polo shirt in the office (not in terms of flashy brand names, but in terms of perfect fit and colour. Essentially, you can do a lot simply by focusing on proper fit, good colour combinations, and well-polished shoes, without "wearing a tux to a BBQ".) Maybe a dress shirt with sleeves rolled up and a sweatervest ... no tie ... to at least get the idea of a "dress shirt" floating about the office?

The fact that there is no dress code means that you can wear whatever you want, including a suit and tie if you feel like it.

The fact that there is no dress code means that you can wear whatever you want, including a suit and tie if you feel like it.

There is a difference between what is possible and what is appropriate or even what is or isn't a good idea.

years ago i worked in a homeless shelter. dress code was extremely casual. it was not uncommon to see male case managers in jeans, t-shirt, and gym shoes. in the summer, we often wore shorts. the supervisor in my department always wore casual pants and button down shirt and casual shoes. the supervisor in the other department always wore jeans and a t-shirt. in the summer he always wore shorts. we had one male case manager who always wore a suit. no one cared. no one improved their way of dressing. we all dressed the way we wanted. the only thing the supervisors and director cared about was that our work got done.

i say, wear what you like.

My workplace is generally "business casual" and both I and the president seldom wear ties. However, when I wear a complete suit and tie, I get many compliments. No one thinks I am over dressed or trying to out-do others.

I say, dress as well as you like, others will appreciate your attention to your personal appearance. I guess that if you get accusations from others that you are making others uncomfortable, you could always tone it down a bit.

Never dress better than the boss.

Actually I work for a bank, and our tellers dress better than most of the branch managers...(Public eye, yadda yadda)

However, If I were in his position I would wear what I felt comfortable with, but I think a suit and tie, is just a tad bit for "Business Casual".

My job experience was construction and now I wear a uniform. So, dress code has never been an issue for me. Therefore, I may not be the best at advice here. IMHO, feel free to push the envelope, but carefully. You can over-dress, but only some. I would only go a step or two above what the bosses are wearing. Stay at that point for a long time until know one even realises it anymore, including you. A year or so, maybe you can move it up another notch and no one will pay attention.

Ridiculous that you have to worry about something like that. Unfortunately, that is the world we live in. When I am at work, but off duty, everyone makes a big deal about how I am dressed. I've told my wife, I feel like I am a fashion show. I am expected to be extremely well dressed and everybody watches to see what I wear this time.

Many years ago I decided I wanted to get into management so checked with some upper levels to see what was needed and was told flat out I probably wasn't management material.

Well, I went out and bought two three piece suits and wore one or the other nearly every day for a year, at which point I was promoted into a management job.

But that wasn't really overdressing at the time. Dress code was *everyone* wore at least jacket and tie. I was sent home once for not having a tie! Most 1st level managers wore jacket and tie but many upper level managers did wear three piece suits. Those were the guy's who I *really* need to get on board.

Well, I went out and bought two three piece suits and wore one or the other nearly every day for a year, at which point I was promoted into a management job.

I wore a 3-piece on one office-based job. Accessorized with a heavy silver watch chain and antique Waltham pocket watch. Writing always with my Cross Townsend fountain pen, wearing an expensive cologne and having an ebullient manner made several women think I was gay - I eventually found out they were running a book on me, "Is he or isn't he?".

The finance director's PA was glad to report that I most definitely was NOT - too bad I couldn't hang on to her for more than a year!:biggrin:

I wore a 3-piece on one office-based job. Accessorized with a heavy silver watch chain and antique Waltham pocket watch. Writing always with my Cross Townsend fountain pen, wearing an expensive cologne and having an ebullient manner made several women think I was gay - I eventually found out they were running a book on me, "Is he or isn't he?".

The finance director's PA was glad to report that I most definitely was NOT - too bad I couldn't hang on to her for more than a year!:biggrin:

:lol::lol::lol:

My advice? Don't accessorize so much! A simple matching hand bag or clutch should be enough.

Top Bottom