What's new

Workplace "Etiquite"

A tie uncomfortable? No way, man! As an almost-daily tie wearer, IMHO ties are only uncomfortable if the are either too tight (usualy a problem of a shirt collar that is too small) or caught in industrial machinery.

The solution for the former problem ... a bigger shirt. The solution for the latter problem ... 'off' button, knife, clip-on, vest ...

Well I think it's more just that it's unnecessary. And whether or not a tie is comfortable, if you do a poll on whether people consider a tie something comfortable to wear, probably 98% are going to say no, and so that's the perception people have of it and so the perception of the tie wearer who doesn't need to wear one is unfortunately going to be "he's being uncomfortable for....?"

It's a little piece of fabric that marks the boundary between formal and trendy casual, and you stand out if you're the only one wearing one.

The advice to dress for the organization you work for is sound. Dressing better than the bosses may not be a good idea.

Yeah. You have to tread carefully here. I work in show biz as an exec. I like to dress stylish and often show up turned out way better than anybody I work with. But I've been here long enough that I'm sort of known for that. My boss doesn't love it when I'm turned out I'm sure, but he's become accostomed to it and isn't threatened by it.

The dress code here in Los Angeles is always leaning more and more casual. I won't be shocked if by the time I retire, everyone is in PJs like Hef.

I would put a lot of emphasis on making sure what you buy is nice quality, and most especially- looks good on you. Your wife should be a good source for that. A woman who cares about you will always do a great job of helping you pick clothes that make you look good.

Last edited:
A tie uncomfortable? No way, man! As an almost-daily tie wearer, IMHO ties are only uncomfortable if the are either too tight (usualy a problem of a shirt collar that is too small) or caught in industrial machinery.QUOTE]

+1 on the ties not being uncomfortabe. If you're wearing the right size shirt collar, you lose any sense that it's there really.

But I do think some men have an issue with the notion of something "tied" around their neck.

Standard colour for a sport coat? Well the standard of all standards is the navy blue blazer ... go with that.
+1
The blue blazer is the standard. #2 is probably a camel hair jacket (and it's appropriate in the approaching cooler months).

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
+1
The blue blazer is the standard. #2 is probably a camel hair jacket (and it's appropriate in the approaching cooler months).

Camel is nice too.

I'd also look at an unlined cream linen (or linen-cotton blend if the wrinkles are bothering you) for summer, and some sort of tweedy jacket (herringbone or glenplaid) for winter.

Top Bottom