What's new

Working the scratches out of a handle

Hello all. I don't do this stuff often, but I believe the only way I could get scratches out of my brush handle would be to sand them? I don't think there's anything I could do to build it up, but just checking with others that might have more experience in this. Thanks!

Is the handle plastic? You can buy clear lacquer in a spray can. Many light coats will build up in scratches, and wet sand it and buff to a shine.

Yeah it's the plastic variety. It's a Thater Plexi 3 like so.

Attachments

• $49125-3-10.jpg
    $49125-3-10.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 171
I have used 800 followed by 1200 Wet/Dry sandpaper. Then either Mother's or Meguiar's Plastic Polish (available in auto supply stores) and have had excellent results when restoring plastic brush handles. You may get away with using just the plastic polish depending upon the severity of the scratches.

The plastic polish by itself does a great job when restoring plastic DE razor cases that are fogged, straight razor scales, old fountain pens or motorcycle windshields.

Before using the sandpaper, you may want to try using toothpaste (a very mild abrasive) followed by the plastic polish.

Stu

I'm thinking the acrylic spray might be the best as the scratches can be caught with a fingernail and you can easily see some depth to them. There's some slight scuff marks near the top that I think a plastic polish will do just fine on. I've tried to take photos of it but just can't catch a good angle to show them. If we had some sunny weather I'd just take it outside and more than likely I'd get it, but sunny weather is few and far between here at times. :laugh:

I've had decent success with a 4 sided nail filer/buffer thing...just use the buff and shine sides (two finest sides). I've used it a few times with success, not with anything very deep however.

One of these days I'm going to put to test various ways to get rid of those scratches. I got a used acrylic coming plus some others I'll put all this toward use to. I'm starting to get past the initial irritation of it and not going to try anything atm. I'm afraid I'll do something irreversible that I wish was reversible. That and I may not want to keep it either. :wink:

Top Bottom