What's new

Working on a bevel angle calculator, looking for input

Well, I decided to shave the spine of that one razor just a bit. Taped the edge and honed the spine on a 220k stone. (will apply new tape and take it up through a couple more levels to smooth everything out before honing for real)

I ended up taking only a tenth of a mm off the width of the spine at the toe and heel, and now instead of a 1 degree spread along the blade, I'm down to just a hair over a half degree variation. The widest angle now is measured at 19.18 degrees, as opposed to 20.14
Additionally, the new spine wear pattern is a much smoother slope, as opposed to the uneven mess it was before. The way it slopes perfectly into the tapered spine on the tang makes me think this is as it should be:
$SpineWearPattern1.jpg
Hopefully this will directly relate to a smoother bevel curve on the blade side as well. I know the looks aren't as important as the performance, but it would be a nice added perk

So while it may or may not make any difference in the final edge, it should make the honing go a bit smoother. Or, at least, it certainly can't hurt :001_tt2:

Okay, I've received a couple questions about downloading the file now, apparently the whole Google Drive layout is a bit confusing, so I'm trying a different file hosting site.
Unfortunately I can't edit my previous posts here......so, hopefully people will read all the way through and find this link if they can't figure out how to use the other one

http://www.fileden.com/files/2012/10/14/3357180/BevelCalcKavik79_Shared.xls

As a reminder, when using the file, the only cells you need to enter data in are the blank white cells. All others have been intentionally disabled so that the formulas cannot accidentally be removed from the file

Last edited:
here you go.....if anyone wants to check it out you can download it with this link:
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0Bx16McVGFvBtdlNTTzNXYTV6bTQ/edit?pli=1

Just click File on the left hand side and select Save, then run it from your computer.
No macros to worry about, formulas only.

Feedback on the tool itself would be appreciated.....I think we've covered whether or not everyone feels it's useful to know a bevel angle :001_tongu

I know this is an old thread but I was looking for a calculator for bevel angle and I found this (actually I was looking for a link to slash McCoy's). very straightforward and easy to use. thanks!

Top Bottom