What's new

Wooden ball end handle

R

romsitsa

Hello,

had some spare end pieces lying around, so gave this a go. A bit longer, thicker, but lighter than the factory version, all three piece Gillette heads fit. The ball was quite worn and I like the Canadian smooth version, so sanded it down, the wood is maybe plum, but I'm not sure.
Brass parts will be silver plated.

IMG_3308.JPG

Adam

Very nice. That wood grain kind of blends in with that copper top. Did you mount the end pieces directly on the wood, or is there a shaft connecting them and the wood on the outside?

R

romsitsa

Thank you. The brass pieces will be epoxied into the wood, once finished. Couldn't find a tube with a thin enough wall to accept the ends and an outer tube. And I don't have a lathe to drill though the wood then thin down the wall.

Adam

R

romsitsa

Thank you All :)
I had some time and leftover brass bits, so the handle evolved further. The inlay turned out nice imho, but this remains a "prototype", so I won't glue it together.

IMG_3311.JPG

Also experimenting with Slim twist handle replacements, this handle is cedar, the upper ring is part pine and I forgot the other...
The dimensions are identical to the factory original.

IMG_3321.JPG IMG_3326.JPG

Adam

R

romsitsa

Hello,

modified another Slim, this time the handle is plum wood, I left it a bit thicker, but it still fits the original case.

IMG_3329.JPG

Adam

R

romsitsa

Hello,

2nd version in progress, to use up cracked barrels. It will have the same dimensions as the original.

41051232-C9D1-4413-BA45-9A6DD5007914.jpeg

Adam

R

romsitsa

Wooden parts are more or less finished, both are mahogany.

76F7671B-77D2-46F8-BE75-761E3FC48258.jpeg

Adam

I had kind of forgotten about this thread because it was a while back, but it did inspire me to do something similar using my stash of bamboo canes a while back:
proxy.php

It came out pretty good, however, like the real ball end handles, this one also developed a crack

proxy.php

I eventually replaced it with a carbon fiber tube that I got the idea from another thread.

Top Bottom