What's new

Women's Watches

Thanks for the follow-up. Sounds like impressive service/customer care. I sure had not seen Tag as seeming trendy either.

Well said, Doc4, although it is hard to talk about. The eternal effort to be "cool," I suppose. To be in the know, and also appear to be in the know. To have something like the best, without paying a fortune for it!

I dont see anything "trendy" with Tag watches, even today. I see them as class, with understated elegance. They dont stand out as eye catchers to most people, but with similar things, when you see "quality" you know it. I think Tag quality is still right there with the best, and some very reasonable prices too.
I don't think they're "trendy" either, unless "trendy" means well known and appreciated with a long, continuous history. They are very nice watches. Can't go wrong with them.

Well, we seem to have a selection. I am not sure the model name, but Longines, automatic, about a 26 mm round face, steel and yellow gold plate bracelet, white face, "diamonds" at the hour marks but nowhere else. Black Friday sale at a major department store, authorized dealer. Mother of pearl face might have been nice, but would have had to go rose gold, which my wife does not like and a few hundred more dollars. Quartz would have been fine, too, but did not come in this model. Classic look. $1.3 plus or so after sales incentives. Better than the gray market prices I have seen.

Longines seemed like a good, classic, non-designer brand, with excellent value. No one was going to ask why one went with Longines. A versatile piece of jewelry and a watch. Had exactly the look my wife wanted.

Omega did not seem to have what she liked and would have been more expensive, although better value retention, if that matters. Hamilton selection in stores was limited. Did not manage to cover all the suggested brands. In particular, did not look at Grand Seiko, although I would liked to have.

On very high end, Panthère de Cartier watch in the smaller size gold and steel band was a knock out. Jaeger LeCoultre Reverso would have been amazing. Could have gone used on those, I suppose. Rolex styles did not particularly appeal and seemed ridiculously expensive.

There are lots of watches out there!

Thanks for all the help!

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Longines seemed like a good, classic, non-designer brand, with excellent value. No one was going to ask why one went with Longines. A versatile piece of jewelry and a watch. Had exactly the look my wife wanted.

Sounds like an excellent selection & result, with SWMBO getting a watch that gives her joy.

Omega did not seem to have what she liked and would have been more expensive, although better value retention, if that matters.

Meh. If I want an investment, I'll invest in something I can lock away in a safety deposit box or in a drawer somewhere ... not have dangling on my wrist all day long. My "daily driver" watch ... for many, their "daily diver" heh heh heh ... should be something I take pleasure in looking at every time I check the time ... and ideally should encourage me to check the time more often just to glance at my dear friend, Timey McWatchface.

Because she LIKES it, she'll wear it. Every day she wears it ... every month, every year, every decade ... she's adding sentimental value that mere money cannot create. She'll have a family heirloom to pass down eventually.

In particular, did not look at Grand Seiko, although I would liked to have.

Well, there's always "next time". Besides, who needs just one watch???

It seems like most women manage to have a birthday just about every year, and manage to get those pesky wedding anniversaries to come by with similarly startling frequency.

I agree with everything you say, Doc4!

As Andy Warhol famously said: "I don't wear a [Cartier] Tank watch to tell the time." These are things we have that give us pleasure.

<Well, there's always "next time". Besides, who needs just one watch???

It seems like most women manage to have a birthday just about every year, and manage to get those pesky wedding anniversaries to come by with similarly startling frequency.>

It is easy to acclimate to what seemed like quite a bit of money when I started this process. And, what the heck, look at all the money I saved not going with Cartier--(which I do think was every really in the cards!).

I do think the investment angle dicey. Things I wear tend to get damaged. Styles change. Apparently ladies watches have gotten larger faces, just like men's did for awhile. Prices do go down as well as up. The maintenance on something like a Rolex is not inconsiderable. And I sure as heck do not like going through the trouble of selling anything!

I will try to post a URL. When I looked was not 100% sure of what we are getting. The guy is holding it for us until the Black Friday sale starts. Good salesmanship all around. I will confirm the exact model and post.

Top Bottom