What's new

Winter Dry

I have recently been using Proraso Pre/Cream?After Shave & have had a better less irratating shave ... Used the last of My Art of Shaving Cream yesterday ... Not a Good Shave ... Have ended up with extremely dry skin ... The Colder Weather & Hot, Dry Heat inside seem to have contributed to My dry Skin ... To My Question ...

Can anyone advise on a Good Soap & After Shave or Moisturizer, etc ... That will help combat dry skin ... ??? ... ... Thanks ...

Waiting for My Trumper's Coral Skin Food to Arrive ... Jusr ordered ... ... I Think the majority of My problem is Soap ... I would like to use a pure, natural, organic soap if possible, but Am open to try anything that will help with My dryness ... ... Thanks for Your replies so Far ...

You can try an unscented aloe vera gel, or possible Corn Huskers Lotion. Both work great for me. Also, St. Ives makes an Eye and Face Gel that is very effective.

Randy

I have tried many many products over the years and "Clarins for men Moisture Balm" is THE most moisturising product I have come across. That is, most moisturising without leaving my skin oily.
http://us.clarinsmen.com/product_61.html
You may also want to look into products from Dermalogica. Very good skincare products, although they mainly tailor toward the fairer sex. http://www.dermalogica.com
I use Intensive Moisture Balance. Similar in efficacy but a bit more expensive.

I have 3 woodburning fireplaces in my house... in Northern Illinois. I know dry. I really know dry. And it sucks. I have not had a problem in a long time tho. First of all, I stopped using commercially made soaps with the glycerin extracted and I use homemade soaps. There are 2 million soapmakers on the net if you google them. Try one! Superfatted soaps are a MUST this time of year and I find myself reaching for my comfort soap... an all coconut oil soap that is superfatted 20%. Glycerin soaps are also really a beautiful thing this time of year... really moisturizing soaps. pretty and smelling lovely, there is no better time of the year than now for a glycerin bath soap. I can get away with that extra moisturizing this time of year that I could not do during the summertime. I dont' have time for lotions, so superfat is the way for me to go. BUT, I am going to confess.... this time of year I like to fill up the soaking tub with hot water and pour in some specialty items. Natural Vit E., Olive Oil, HONEY! liquid silk, Monoi Oil (My favorite) and fragrances... light some candles and soak for hours, maybe with some music, maybe with no sound at all... a good soak like this can take away 6 months of dry all at one time.... and keep me young.... on the outside anyway..... :001_tt1:

Are the Proraso pre-shave and cream as minty/menthol-laden as the after shave? Mint and menthol are drying, so that might be part of it... I can't imagine 3 stages of that at once.

The pre/post is extremely menthol (and eucalyptus) laden, but it is VERY moisturising. The chill-down effect makes it unsuitable for cold weather IMO.

If you think the Proraso pre/post is too drying, or dont like cooling effect in the winter, the Proraso ASB is a good alternative. Try to use a gentle soap to wash your face. I've been mentioning it in many other threads, but my dermatoligist recommended Cetaphil face wash, which I have been using exclusively.

Also for very dry areas, I use Lubriderm Advanced Therapy, which is designed for Extra Dry Skin. It's inexpensive, readily available and works well. I always get very dry skin on either side of my nose and always use it there with good results.

Tribe said:
I would like to use a pure, natural, organic soap if possible, but Am open to try anything that will help with My dryness ... ... Thanks for Your replies so Far ...

My favourite shaving soap is an all natural, olive oil based soap. It is not organic as organic olive oil is quite expensive. My wife makes it (shameless plug). I have been using it for a long time, but recently started trying some creams (C&E and Body Shop) and Conk soaps, and it remains my favourite. Though the lather produced by the creams and Conks is bigger, the slickness is not as good and they dry me out. If you PM me I might be able to send you a sample.

Thanks for the replies ... I started using Trumpers Coconut Oil Shave Cream & that alone has helped immensely ... Will still try to find the perfect combination of Bar Soap, Shave Cream & Moisturizer ...

Mama Bear said:
I have 3 woodburning fireplaces in my house... in Northern Illinois. I know dry. I really know dry. And it sucks. I have not had a problem in a long time tho. First of all, I stopped using commercially made soaps with the glycerin extracted and I use homemade soaps. There are 2 million soapmakers on the net if you google them. Try one! Superfatted soaps are a MUST this time of year and I find myself reaching for my comfort soap... an all coconut oil soap that is superfatted 20%. Glycerin soaps are also really a beautiful thing this time of year... really moisturizing soaps. pretty and smelling lovely, there is no better time of the year than now for a glycerin bath soap. I can get away with that extra moisturizing this time of year that I could not do during the summertime. I dont' have time for lotions, so superfat is the way for me to go. BUT, I am going to confess.... this time of year I like to fill up the soaking tub with hot water and pour in some specialty items. Natural Vit E., Olive Oil, HONEY! liquid silk, Monoi Oil (My favorite) and fragrances... light some candles and soak for hours, maybe with some music, maybe with no sound at all... a good soak like this can take away 6 months of dry all at one time.... and keep me young.... on the outside anyway..... :001_tt1:

Sue,

Is your 'favorite' soap you mention a soap you make or sell? Please tell us more.

Top Bottom