What's new

Windows 7 users...

Do you like this version? I have been debating about getting it but would it be worth it if I mainly just screw around on the Internet (occasionaly using quicken for business and personal finances) ? Or would it just be throwing away money for nothing special?

Personally, I love it. It's a HUGE upgrade from vista, but I feel that it's over priced. So, if you don't have the money to spend it's probably not worth an upgrade.

Is there a major peformance advantage of 7 over Vista?

I like Vista's layout ok. But I feel that it it too big of a drain on system resources.

Is there a major peformance advantage of 7 over Vista?

I like Vista's layout ok. But I feel that it it too big of a drain on system resources.

there is a huge performance advantage of 7 over XP!
I kid you not!

I'm running 7 release candidate/beta and XP on the same laptop, dual booting, and 7 outperforms XP!
both of them blow Vista out of the water, too.

yeah, if you're running Vista, definitely worth the upgrade

Last edited:
Do you like this version? I have been debating about getting it but would it be worth it if I mainly just screw around on the Internet (occasionaly using quicken for business and personal finances) ? Or would it just be throwing away money for nothing special?

I have really enjoyed the upgrade to Windows 7. That being said, I do not know if I would have invested the money if I had to pay more than the student price. I have had no problems with it, and it is a little snappier and more streamlined than Vista with some processes. Overall, I am pleased with my purchase, yet your situation might not require the upgrade. It is an improvement, but it is not an overhaul.

Good luck with your decision,
Chase

Are you having problems with the current system you're running? If not, I'd save your money at least until prices drop.

I have RC windows 7 and windows XP running on my desktop and only windows 7 on my laptop. So far, I love windows 7 and will probably remove xp from my desktop in the near future. That being said, windows 7, like all previous windows OSs, is over priced. However, if you are a student or know someone who is a university student, the going rate for windows 7 home premium is very good ($30). I got my copy the day it was released but have not felt inclined (had the time) to go to the retail version.

I have company laptop that is being replaced/upgraded to a new computer tomorrow. I am guessing that I will have Windows 7 on it. Currently our company runs XP.

All I know is that from day one, 2 years ago, this computer has been glacial. I don't know if it is the software or the computer. I just want my computer to boot up in less than 10 minutes.

I'm using 7, and like it much better than Vista. My annoyances mostly stem from the software designers being determined to outguess you on the commands you're giving. There are two features I'd like to disable:
  1. The popup miniwindows that jump up like a whack-a-mole whenever you hover over the taskbar
  2. Windows jumping to half or full screen whenever you drag them near an edge.
These may be useful to some, but I don't need my software trying to guess what I want this way. The taskbar miniwindows constantly cover over my cad and Illustrator work while I'm trying to pick and drag objects, and the jumping windows...well, I'll tell them how big and where I want them, thanks.

Anyone know how to disable these without going into the code?

Roger

Last edited:
I have company laptop that is being replaced/upgraded to a new computer tomorrow. I am guessing that I will have Windows 7 on it. Currently our company runs XP.

All I know is that from day one, 2 years ago, this computer has been glacial. I don't know if it is the software or the computer. I just want my computer to boot up in less than 10 minutes.

It'll probably still have XP as companies wont upgrade till the new system's security has been tested. My company laptop is slower than a week in jail also; I think when a company put their own settings on one it cripples whatever system it's using.

hell yeah. its the best OS microsoft have ever released. having said that, I still choose a mac or linux workstation over windows any day of the week.

i generally like to wait until the first major update, or service pack in windows case to adopt an operating system. Gets them time to work the kinks out as well as software designers to make sure all programs and hardware configurations dont cause a crash. Just my two cents. YMMV

there is a huge performance advantage of 7 over XP!
I kid you not!

I'm running 7 release candidate/beta and XP on the same laptop, dual booting, and 7 outperforms XP!
both of them blow Vista out of the water, too.

That's true in a certain fashion but not the entire story....

Windows XP still has some distinct advantages over Windows 7. While Windows 7 feels much faster than XP, much of that is illusory and misleading. Microsoft worked hard to tweak their kernel scheduler and other portions of their codebase that directly effect how responsive and fast the user interface feels. The truth is though, that Windows 7 preserved all of the additional plumbing for DRM and other technologies that Microsoft added in Vista, thus in terms of true throughput XP can be significantly faster. There's just a lot less overhead. And note that when I say throughput, I don't mean regular UI-centric tasks; rather, large file copies, very cpu intensive operations (encoding movies/music, encryption, etc), games, and the like. If you put XP head to head with Win 7 for those tasks, XP will come out ahead every time.

yeah, if you're running Vista, definitely worth the upgrade

I'll agree with that 100%!

I am liking win 7 a lot

I have noticed a few qwirks with Solidworks 2009 student edition such as not being able to see a path in a pop up window, but not too bad.

Make sure your hardware and peripherals (printers, scanners) are supported. My HP printer doesn't have win 7 drivers yet, so I installed the Vista drivers, but the printer's built in duplexer doesn't work. It gives a prompt to manually duplex the paper. PITA Hope HP gets the proper drivers done sometime soon.

If you have an extra hard drive around you can download a copy of Win 7 and try it for 30 days. Go to forum (dot) notebookreview (dot) com click on the discussions tab and find the Microsoft Windows 7 section under Windows OS and Software. You will look for the discussion entitled

LEGAL Windows 7 Download Links (Just like Vista before!!!)

It will tell you what you need to do.

I did this with my new HP laptop, removing the hard drive with xp on it (just in case I didn't like win 7) and putting in a new hard drive 320Gb 7200rpm HD was about $100. I loaded win 7 and put the software on I wanted to try without activating it. Most give you a free short trial. I have been running it for more than a month, so I bought a copy and activated it.

Good luck with your decision.

I went for Windows 7 64 Professional. Best operating system since XP, and since my upgrade was from XP I have definately seen a performance increase. Boot time after post is about 8 seconds whereas it was almost 30 with XP. This is the first OS I have personally purchased - (the price was right at 30 bucks since I have a .edu E-Mail address) - and I would recommend it to anyone at that price point.

If your OS is currently working fine, I wouldn't recommend dropping the couple hundred to upgrade. However, I do like Win7.

Note for experience: I currently use OSX at work with VMs for XP, Vista and 7. I use 7 at home exclusively.

I went for Windows 7 64 Professional. Best operating system since XP, and since my upgrade was from XP I have definately seen a performance increase. Boot time after post is about 8 seconds whereas it was almost 30 with XP. This is the first OS I have personally purchased - (the price was right at 30 bucks since I have a .edu E-Mail address) - and I would recommend it to anyone at that price point.

If your OS is currently working fine, I wouldn't recommend dropping the couple hundred to upgrade. However, I do like Win7.

Note for experience: I currently use OSX at work with VMs for XP, Vista and 7. I use 7 at home exclusively.

Sorry, I should have mentioned that above. Yes, they did a lot of work to make it boot faster as well.

So, to clear things up, Windows 7 is indeed a significantly better user experience than Vista and even XP. In that sense, it's probably the best Windows MS has made.

If you have new-ish hardware and you're considering the upgrade to Win 7, it's probably worth it.

I've been using 7 since yesterday afternoon and am loving it! I should add that it was a free upgrade to a PC I bought a few months ago and that being said, I don't know if it's worth what they are charging (how much is a copy?).

In your particular situation, it may make sense to tough it out with Vista if it's working well enough and money is a consideration. Another option may be checking out some Linux distros, if performance and cost are considerations.

I'll agree with that mostly, but that's more techie than most users are interested in :001_smile.

7 is what Vista was supposed to have been, and thus it's basically a polished turd Vista.
It runs much more efficiently than Vista and XP.
I've not noticed 7RC being any slower than XP when doing intensive tasks, but I had read that before.

7 isn't perfect, but it's a heck of a lot better than Vista.

So basically, sticking to the mantra:

If you're running Vista, it's worth the upgrade.
If you're running XP, go to a store and play with 7 some and see if you like it. Eventually support for XP is going to go away now that Microsoft has a desirable new OS out now.

That's true in a certain fashion but not the entire story....

Windows XP still has some distinct advantages over Windows 7. While Windows 7 feels much faster than XP, much of that is illusory and misleading. Microsoft worked hard to tweak their kernel scheduler and other portions of their codebase that directly effect how responsive and fast the user interface feels. The truth is though, that Windows 7 preserved all of the additional plumbing for DRM and other technologies that Microsoft added in Vista, thus in terms of true throughput XP can be significantly faster. There's just a lot less overhead. And note that when I say throughput, I don't mean regular UI-centric tasks; rather, large file copies, very cpu intensive operations (encoding movies/music, encryption, etc), games, and the like. If you put XP head to head with Win 7 for those tasks, XP will come out ahead every time.

Top Bottom