What's new

Will putting a vintage razor through the dishwasher cause damage?

I've been cleaning up a vintage razor, and wondered if putting it through the dishwasher without detergent (after a thorough scrubbing) it will cause damage?

I want to put it through the dishwasher to make sure it's sterilized.

Thanks

Don't do this. It's overkill.

All you need is a good swabbing with rubbing alcohol or hydrogen peroxide.

Last edited by a moderator:
It may cause damage to the plating. I know chrome plated Moka coffee pits can't be put in the dishwasher because the plating can be warped and stripped. I agree with the other posters that there are better ways to clean razors.

I've cleaned scissors and kitchen shears in the dishwasher before, and they survived.

First off, forget about the word "sterilized."
Even when you buy a razor straight from the factory, its not sterile.
The most you can hope for is "thoroughly clean."

Consider putting it in a Pressure Cooker.
This will force steam into every nook and cranny,
particularly useful if you're dealing with a TTO that can't be taken apart.

A Pressure Cooker is the same thing as your dentist uses to sterilize his tools,
except he calls it an autoclave.

And when you're done cleaning your razor,
you can cook dinner in it, too.

It should be ok, especially if you use a gentle or fine china setting and a detergent that's safe for silver and fine china. The toothbrush that you used to scrub the razor is more abrasive than any detergent. Don't do this if the razor has a Bakelite handle though.

Just re-read op. No detergent no problem.

Last edited:
I wouldn't put one of my vintage razors through a dishwasher or in a pressure cooker. I make sure they're clean, using dish soap, warm water and a soft toothbrush. Any vintage razor I have just acquired I often also soak for a few minutes in Scrubbing Bubbles bathroom mousse. These measures will remove any grime pathogens might linger in; they won't live for very long on clean metal, on the highly unlikely assumption there any were there in the first place.
The plating on some old razors is extremely thin and frail, and harsh cleaning methods can damage it — not always, but certainly sometimes. I've found using a soft toothbrush to be fine, however. They're not abrasive like a wire brush would be.

I've cleaned scissors and kitchen shears in the dishwasher before, and they survived.

First off, forget about the word "sterilized."
Even when you buy a razor straight from the factory, its not sterile.
The most you can hope for is "thoroughly clean."
There is a huge difference between Sanitized and Sterilized...

Sanitized is what you are pursuing here.

When something is Sanitized it is clean and hygienic. Organic matter has been denatured and the object is considered clean.

The idea is that because the Sanitation process is not being carried out in a Sterilized room it is impossible to achieve Sterilization.
As soon as a Sterilized item is exposed to air it is immediately no longer sterile.

Purchase an ultrasonic cleaner at Harbor Freight, it's about $30, great for any small item like watch bands. Good for those nooks and crannies. Dump some 91% rubbing alcohol in there and give it a whirl.

I would worry that it would damage it. Dish washing detergent is somewhat abrasive and some of them contain chlorine. Chlorine is bad for razors. You are probably better off washing with a toothbrush and soap and then soaking it in Barbicide.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
I think I seen a video from razoremporium said that it's safe to do so.

$Einstein.jpg

Especially from that RE outfit.

Consider putting it in a Pressure Cooker.
This will force steam into every nook and cranny,
particularly useful if you're dealing with a TTO that can't be taken apart.

A Pressure Cooker is the same thing as your dentist uses to sterilize his tools,
except he calls it an autoclave.
$169.gif A pressure cooker or autoclave doesn't really work by "forcing steam into every nook and cranny".
It works because you can bring the water to a higher temperature (than 100ºC) before it turns into steam. At 15 psi, you can go to 121ºC. It speeds up the cooking, and has the side benefit of letting you cook with liquid water at high altitudes.
And kill cooties.

I once suggested Coca Cola...

No one's tried it yet...

But I've got a cracked Tech handle that's not good for anything but a paperweight so maybe I'll try it on that.

No need to try the dishwasher thing. Simply follow the tried and true methods... Hot water soak in Dawn dish soap and/or if really gunked up use Scrubbing Bubbles.

Top Bottom