What's new

Wilkinson razor.

If this razor is similar to the VDH Weishi razor, but with a different handle, it will be a mild shaver, but pretty decent. I like using a long handled VDH for buffing strokes to achieve BBS on difficult portions of jawline and chin. Because the razor is mild, I can use this technique without nicks or irritation.

There are two different versions of Wilkinson Sword blades. I have both. Wilkinson Sword blades made in Germany by Edgewell are among my top five blades. I am not as fond of the Gillette branded Wilkinson Sword blades made in India. They are not quite as sharp as the German blades. The 7 O'Clock Black blades made in the same Gillette plant, however, are also in my top five.

I yielded to temptation today. I bought one and tried it out tonight (my usual shave time).

I was a bit worried when I first took it out of the box. The barber pole knurling looks nice, but when I held it upright with dry fingers it felt quite slippery and wanted to "screw itself" downwards.
Fortunately, the grip was okay in wet hands, even with soap on them.

Total length is 114 mm, handle length is 107.4 mm to bottom of base plate. I was sorta' wishing for a longer handle that was not too heavy, but this is a bit longer than I wished for. It is about 4 mm too long to store in my rubber stamp carousel.

On to the SOTD results...
rasor: Wilkinson Sword "Classic Shave"
blade: Astra SP (27)
soap: Proraso White + Gillette Pure superlather
brush: Wilkinson Sword boar (so that the razor would not feel too lonely, of course)​

There was very little blade feel or audio feedback, so it took a while to find a good angle. Even so, I got a BBS in two and a half passes. No weepers, no razor burn.
I was quite impressed.

Pros:
price
mildness
closeness of shave (in spite of the mildness)
appearance​
Cons
balance is bottom-heavy
grip is slippery in dry hands​

I would have no problem recommending this razor as a starter. :thumbup1:

I have been restraining myself from buying this razor at least for 5 months. 3 days ago my RAD got the upper hand. Bought it from a local drugstore for 10 euro (a week ago it was 12 EUR). So after 2 shaves here are my thoughts.

This razor is actually a Weishi 9306-P, which can be bought on Aliexpress. It is different from the other standard Weishi models [sold as Van Der Hagen, etc.]. There is more blade exposure. It is a bit more even if compared to a 50s-60s Superspeed. So while some users will like that fact, others might be put off.

The design is not that good. The handle is ridiculously long. The knurling is bad, let's face it. You hold the razor in a vertical position and the second you loosen your grip the razor starts slipping and swirling because of the spiral knurling. It is not that bad when it is wet, but still we have a case of aesthetics over function.

This is a very heavy razor. A Super Adjustable seems like a feather compared to the Wilkinson. Not sure if first time users are going to like it. Plus this adds to the aggression. On a good note, my guess is like other Weishi razors this is an all brass razor, which is a good value.

The shave is like a real DE [unlike the previous hyper mild plastic Wilkinson]. The good blade exposure has both advantages and disadvantages. It will definitely give a nice BBS shave, but for inexperienced users it will be easier to get cut. On the other hand they will learn to respect a DE razor.

The plating is immaculate. Occasionally I noticed the blade exposure is not equal on both sides. Yes, a good TTO is hard to manufacture.

So basically although not exactly the best thing on the market it is nice to have an easily available cheap decent razor in brick-and-mortar shops across Europe. Much better than selling a leather case with a dirt cheap razor for $35, claiming it to be a "Heritage".

Top Bottom