What's new

Wilkenson Sword Blades - where have you been all my life?!

Fantastic shave with these in a Gillette Slim Adj. It's been a long while since I have been unable to resist just touching my face all over for hours after a shave.

Got 5 for free with a shavette order and I tried one out in a DE for fun, and I think I just found a new Razor/Blade favorite combination :001_tt1:

huh, there must be different types of Wilkinson Sword blades out there....

The last WS blade I tried gave me the worst burn ever, where Crystals, Swedes and Derby's don't. I was afraid to try another.

Anyone know if that's the case? I know there's a black label I've seen and a white label type.

They too are currently my favorite blade, I've only tried those, merkurs, and dorco. But out of those 3 w.s. is my fav.

huh, there must be different types of Wilkinson Sword blades out there....

The last WS blade I tried gave me the worst burn ever, where Crystals, Swedes and Derby's don't. I was afraid to try another.

Anyone know if that's the case? I know there's a black label I've seen and a white label type.

Yes, there are a few different types. White label, black label, UK made, etc...

I switch off to these at times...I can find them 5 pack for 99cents at a local grocery store. They say "Made in Germany". It's a really nice blade.

Put one in this past Sunday, used it Sunday/Monday...it's a very smooth shave and quite sharp. I find them pretty consistent, well finished, nice package with space for used blades which is nice.

The are quite sharp, as I said, but not as sharp as my Gillette Silver Blues which is my go-to blade. YMMV.

Having said that, I finished my shave yesterday, thinking that if I were stuck for blades, and had to rely on buying them at the supermarket 5 at a time, I'd be happy with the Wilkinsons, to be sure, but I'd miss the inherent sharpness of my Silver Blue.

Don't hesitate to use the Wilkinsons...they're very nice!

Finally-- I CAN get a nice BBS with the Wilkinson with 3 passes and some concentration, and just a little bit of polishing...whereas with Derbies, (which I love for the smoothness) I can do 3-4 passes, polish/dig/scrape, etc and I still have the slightest stubble that I can't get rid of. YMMV. So in MY shaving den, with my 59 Fatboy, or 40's Aristocrat, Wilkinsons edge out Derbies by a whisker.

So in MY shaving den, with my 59 Fatboy, or 40's Aristocrat, Wilkinsons edge out Derbies by a whisker.

I've got a '61 SS a '5? Rocket, and a '58 (?) slim, and I love the Wilks in those razors. I've tried a Derby in the Rocket, and like you say, it comes in a very close second. Close enough that I've orderd 100 derbies.

before I got my samplerK pack, all I'd used was Wal-Fart Personnas and Wilks from the grocery store, made in Germany (the blades, not the store :biggrin1:)
Personnas are decent, Wilks are quite good, first shave is a big aggressive for me, but they'd last the whole week.
Been on the UK Wilks this week, veerrrry nice, indeed. First shave was very smooth, the rest were as good as the first....must disclaim that I haven't tried the German Wilks in a while, so my technique may be the noticeable difference I detected, but they are good blades indeed, but pricey.

Top Bottom