What's new

Wife isn't liking Clubman very much.

:mad3:

So...today the wife got a sniff of me and said she just isn't feeling Clubman on me. She said it smells like an old man, which, of course, is part of the reason I like it. I've ordered a bottle of Special Reserve, so hopefully that will work a little better. She also bought me the AOS Sandalwood balm, which she seems to like. She's pretty sensitive to smells, so there may be some trial and error here.

I know about the stuff at CVS, Walgreens, etc. Are there middle of the road aftershaves at places like Macys, Dillards, hell, even Kohls? I don't want to keep buying stuff online if she's only going to tell me no go.

Thanks.

If you want something that works well and has a younger scent to it, Gilette Cool Wave was recommended to me by this forum and I approve of it fully. It's not too strong either and is mostly oakmoss, a common fragrance ingredient, so you can layer cologne over it with no trouble if you want.

Women are much more sensitive to scents than men are. My wife can smell stuff that I can't smell at all.

I'm in the same boat as you; my SWMBO doesn't like 'old man' smells. Knowing this, Special Reserve probably won't work out well for you. If she's anything like mine you'll probably end up having to just totally steer clear of what are considered classic drugstore scents. The following may be safe bets and might even be found locally (Wal Mart, Walgreens, Dollar General etc.) so you can smell them before purchasing:

Gillette Cool Wave
Adidas Dynamic Pulse
OS Signature
Brut Attitude
Axe Anarchy for Him
Nivea For Men Energy Aftershave

Another tip is that many aftershaves can be very strong so diluting may help; I use witch hazel to dilute mine. You may also want to find out whether or not you can get samples of anything you are interested in to prevent buying a whole bottle and not liking it. I think a few of our members decant aftershaves and sell samples. One of them would be here I believe: http://sampleshop.blogspot.com/
Also FWIW my SWMBO has liked all of The Holy Black's scents which are available in a sample pack.

Last edited:
Aqua Velva Musk is more of a middle age smell to me, although I rock Clubman as well. The Adidas and cool wave are more younger smelling.

Having said that, I believe that all of these perceived "old man" smells are going to come full circle. Once someone associates these newer smells with "dad" and "grampa' these old scents will be the "new" thing. Me? I'm just going to keep wearing the "old" stuff until it comes back :yesnod:

The main reason I like it is the smell is so faint and indefinable. I don't like a cologne smell. I like something that almost smells like soap, and goes away.

Thanks everyone. I'd been cutting Clubman with Witch hazel and she didn't seem to really mind. The past few times I've gone undiluted. I just live the smell of it. I'll try some of the others. She might like the muskier smells. I'm still not giving up on Clubman though!

I agree - Gillette Cool Wave has a nice fresh scent. It contains some oil (castor, I believe) to help condition the skin after the alcohol hit.

:lol: Yes, that's him. He has some good scents that aren't like synthetic stuff teenagers would wear, yet don't smell like an 'old man' to my SWMBO. If yours likes sandalwood I would definitely give it a try; my SWMBO really likes the Sandalwood Smoke. Well, really she likes all of them...in fact the closest she got to complaining was after smelling the Bay Whisky Lime she said, "It's okay, but I like the other three better".

Why are you guys so worried about what your wives will like? You are wearing it, not her. Wear what you want and what you like and don't worry what others think even the wife. I wear what I like and I don't give a hoot about what anyone thinks. If someone else doesn't like it, then too bad.
cottontop

SWMBO HATES just about every AS I got. Clubman, The Veg, Mandom, Kanebo Eroica, MG5. The only one she actually enjoys is Clubman Vanilla.

Too bad, because I love all those scents and will continue to wear them, even if I do smell like an old man. :euro:

SWMBO HATES just about every AS I got. Clubman, The Veg, Mandom, Kanebo Eroica, MG5. The only one she actually enjoys is Clubman Vanilla.

Too bad, because I love all those scents and will continue to wear them, even if I do smell like an old man. :euro:

I forgot to mention, Clubman Vanilla is another old-school one that younger people and women tend to find less offensive than the other Clubmans and such. It's a nice compromise.

Why are you guys so worried about what your wives will like? You are wearing it, not her. Wear what you want and what you like and don't worry what others think even the wife. I wear what I like and I don't give a hoot about what anyone thinks. If someone else doesn't like it, then too bad.
cottontop

Haha, well we have to live with them and we are with them for a reason so something as small as an aftershave scent isn't a big deal; we have to pick our battles. My compromise is that I wear the ones she doesn't like during the week when we don't see each other as often so I can still enjoy what I like, but on the weekends when we spend more time together I use ones that she likes. Relationships are about compromise and I save standing my ground for the big things so she knows I'm serious when I do...if nothing else I just count my blessings that she puts up with my shaving related AD's and doesn't bother me when I want to take off on the bike or stay for a week at a biker rally.

I forgot to mention, Clubman Vanilla is another old-school one that younger people and women tend to find less offensive than the other Clubmans and such. It's a nice compromise.

Funny you say this because I had heard that before so I decided to try it out. This stuff turns into something like old woman perfume on me yet Tabac of all things smells like a nice masculine leather and tobacco on me. Gotta love how our body chemistry can change a scent so drastically.

:mad3:
So...today the wife got a sniff of me and said she just isn't feeling Clubman on me. She said it smells like an old man, which, of course, is part of the reason I like it.
Thanks.

This one made me laugh out loud.. only on a shave forum would another man admit to liking the smell of old men.. :lol:

My wife almost knocked me over the first time I got a bottle of clubman. I was leaving for work like normal, when I went to kiss her the smell hit her like a ton of bricks, I guess, and she pushed me back. That was the last time I wore it... I found something we both like (Proraso Splash - although she liked the old formula better).

My wife also hates me wearing anything she considers "Old Man" which are the typical barbershop smells. She does like the modern smells of the Nivea, Adidas and Gillette but her favorite three happen to be of better quality thankfully Floid Black, Royall Mandarin & Royall Lyme.

Top Bottom