What's new

Why not to use vintage blades

Today, I decided to try out a vintage blade I received a few years ago on an EBay buy. Huge mistake. It tore my face up. I have a huge stockpile of modern blades and that’s the way to go.

Attachments

• DC36EE4B-B813-4507-A13A-814668068C74.jpeg
    DC36EE4B-B813-4507-A13A-814668068C74.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 13
I think the issue was with use of vintage Tiger blades. I have not use Tiger blades, either vintage or new, but most people would say that the new blades are no better than the older ones.

Most stainless steel blades stored in reasonably good conditions should still be good for decades as long as they were good when they were new.

Carbon steel blades, unless kept under desert conditions are likely to have pitting after years of storage, so I would not recommend using vintage carbon blades.

lasta

Blade Biter
I enjoy vintage blades. Mostly for the reading up, experiencing what used to be etc. Reading up Wilkinson history certainly made me want to try them all.

Gillette Super Silvers and Spoilers are definitely on the top of my list for vintage blades.

But if PPI closes shop and GSB's price matches up with these vintages, I would still pay for GSB.

I hate to beat a dead horse but I think this would be the best thread for it. I picked up some vintage Gillette and gem blades in a previous razor lot purchase. My next foray will be trying to join the Excalibur club. Are vintage blades thicker than current iterations, better ground, or better ingredient compositions or none of the above?

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
WOW, you guys are braver then me! I wouldn't even attempt to use a blade that was 70 years old, to me, I'd consider that as taking too high of a risk.

Having said that however, what I've learned today in this thread, is that it really depends on the brand. Because some brands made amazing blades, that would still be good today if kept in a humidity and temperature controlled environment.

But if it were a garbage brand of blades to begin with, well, their gonna be as garbage today as much as they were garbage back in the day. Its amazing the things we learn on this forum. Still though, you guys are braver then me.

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
I have a supply of Gillette Spoilers from the 60's that are better than anything I have purchased in the last 20 years.
It's not the age of the blade, it's the quality of the blade to begin with.
I’ve got probably 100 Spoilers as well. Mine are from the 70s so a little newer.
I also have boxes of Gillette red box “Thins” still in the cellophane wrapper. I’ve had them about 5 years and still can’t decide if I should open one and see how the carbon edge has held up.

I hate to beat a dead horse but I think this would be the best thread for it. I picked up some vintage Gillette and gem blades in a previous razor lot purchase. My next foray will be trying to join the Excalibur club. Are vintage blades thicker than current iterations, better ground, or better ingredient compositions or none of the above?
TLDR: if they aren’t stainless, just don’t bother.

There are a few of us who use vintage blades often, but if you don’t know what you are getting then post a picture and one of us will give you an opinion/information.

The storage conditions are absolutely essential to know imo. Tried using some old razor blades I found rummaging around my grandfathers things....basically worthless even though they were still 'sealed' in the box they came in. No edge on the only blade which didn't have rust on it. Turns out using something that was left in a box god knows where for over 30 years is a bad idea.

Last edited:
I've tried a couple of vintage blades and they aren't bad at all, but also nothing phenomenal either. I look from time to time on the local website's for some vintage blade brands that are known to be good and very sought after and if the price is right, I buy them.

Top Bottom