What's new

Why I build my own coils.

I started building my own coils, because I wanted to have a little control over my builds. Also, I did not enjoy cartos and most early coiled tanks devices. I started with drippers and ended up with tanks and gennies as they contain more juice.

So let's take a look at coiled sub-tanks vs my builds. I use Kanthal, 1.5 mm Silica and Shizen Cotton.

Cost of a subtank, say 3 to 5 dollars. Say they last 2 weeks on a good day. I have 4 juices daily. So using the least amount, $3 X 4 = $12 every two weeks. $312 dollars a years, just for coils. I won't get into the cost of shipping or driving to the store to buy some.

My builds, using store prices for wire and cotton.

1 foot of wire is good for 2 coils, more likely 4. Cost $1. Coils last 2 months. So $1 X 4 =$4 every 2 months or $24 dollars a year.

Cotton is 42 cents each for a pad in a B&M. I get at least 6 builds out of each sheet, so the cost is $.07 per build, lasting 1 week. 4 builds @ $.07 is $.28 a week or $15.68 a year.

$312 dollars a years vs $39.68 a year. And these are store prices.

Kind of like buying cartridges vs buying DE blades.

Greg W.

I went through 5 pre-built coils in two days just switching up juices. It's far, far cheaper to build and not to mention very easy. I go through a couple of tanks per day and usually re-wick between juices so I'm clearly gonna end up saving a lot! There's not much to fear with a regulated mod :) next up for me is trying out dual coils and anarchist wire

I went with rta's & rda's for much the same reasons. I can see the attraction of pop in coils but I like messing around with things and customizing. Also means I can have a small selection of tanks and drippers all working off the same kanthal and cotton. It's nice to know that that they will still be useable long after they stop producing coils.

I started off with rta's and after wasting a few tanks of high end juice, when my juice stocks were low, with poor wicks and coils I moved to mainly drippers. Now I've got a few hundred millilitres of cheap juice I love and plenty diy juice on the go it seems like wicks, cotton & juice are almost free to experiment with.

I'm conscious the only two mods I have are regulated built in battery types and essentially disposable, the plan is to eventually acquire a few with replaceable batteries. A good charger, quality batteries and simple mods seems like a good longterm plan but at the moment I'd just be buying more stuff for the sake of it.

I went with rta's & rda's for much the same reasons. I can see the attraction of pop in coils but I like messing around with things and customizing. Also means I can have a small selection of tanks and drippers all working off the same kanthal and cotton. It's nice to know that that they will still be useable long after they stop producing coils.

I started off with rta's and after wasting a few tanks of high end juice, when my juice stocks were low, with poor wicks and coils I moved to mainly drippers. Now I've got a few hundred millilitres of cheap juice I love and plenty diy juice on the go it seems like wicks, cotton & juice are almost free to experiment with.

I'm conscious the only two mods I have are regulated built in battery types and essentially disposable, the plan is to eventually acquire a few with replaceable batteries. A good charger, quality batteries and simple mods seems like a good longterm plan but at the moment I'd just be buying more stuff for the sake of it.

I have a Kanger Subox Mini and just the one battery - you can charge it via micro USB so I just carry around a 5200mAh charge block which I can use for that and my phone. I usually use it at between 25 and 30w on a .5 ohm coil and I've never fallen short of power between a fully charged battery at the beginning of the day and that power block.

After typing this my main mod, Smok M80, died on me. The first one lasted about 2 weeks and I got a replacement, this one has given me about 6 months of use. Looks like I am mod shopping sooner than I planned. Thankfully I have my trusty Coolfire IV still vaping away nicely but after previous experiences I'd like to have more than one mod/battery to rely on.

Last edited:
Top Bottom