What's new

Why hanging strop for bare and paddle for pasted?

I have a background with kitchen and pocket knives and hanging strops are unheard of with these blades. What is the point or advantage of using a hanging strop (bare) for razors? Why not flat and firm, like a bench or paddle strop? Seems to me that there's more chance for rounding/dubbing the edge with a hanging strop.

My guess would be convenience and presentation.

A hanging strop looks great on the wall and takes up very little space. When the time comes to use it, it's just a pull away. Since a razor is quite light and I'm not removing metal the risk of rolling the edge is low (after I learned proper technique of course).

Same thing with the pasted paddle. Doesn't need to come out as often but when it does I'd rather have it stay flat and allow me to concentrate on my stroke.

EDIT: Plus it probably didn't look as cool back in day when your barber put a paddle on the arm of the chair and went to town stropping.

Last edited:
That's exactly what I was thinking -- convenience. And with the pasted paddle/bench strop, flat and stable because (more) metal is removed and less chance of rounding or other mistakes. Other opinions or even guesses welcome.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Some people's skin prefer a rounded bevel, and it has been mentioned that a rounded bevel can maintain an edge longer, and the only way to a rounded bevel is a hanging strop.

A hanging strop is longer (less laps, less flipping the razor) and more convenient. And, to be honest, it's more enjoyable to use.
A pasted paddle does present a more consistently flat surface. You can round the bevel on a paddle strop, too. There's just less chance for pilot error.

Legion

Staff member
A hanging strop is longer (less laps, less flipping the razor) and more convenient. And, to be honest, it's more enjoyable to use.
A pasted paddle does present a more consistently flat surface. You can round the bevel on a paddle strop, too. There's just less chance for pilot error.

A paddle is only shorter if you make it that way. There is nothing to stop you making a paddle the size of a cricket bat if you want to.
The paddles I make have a stropping surface 2.5" x about 15", so roughly the same area most people use on hanging strops.

They're handy if the kids get out of line, too. :001_tongu

Last edited:
A paddle is only shorter if you make it that way. There is nothing to stop you making a paddle the size of a cricket bat if you want to.
The paddles I make have a stropping surface 2.5" x about 15", so roughly the same area most people use on hanging strops.

I stand corrected. I thought you only found leather paddle strops that long in fetish shops. :lol:

Legion

Staff member
I stand corrected. I thought you only found leather paddle strops that long in fetish shops. :lol:

Well, err yes... You do have to make your own.

If you are looking to buy a "large paddle/strop" online, make sure you don't search for it on the work computer.

Well, err yes... You do have to make your own.

If you are looking to buy a "large paddle/strop" online, make sure you don't search for it on the work computer.

We wear rubber boots a lot in this part of the world. The boot of choice is an XtraTuf, but they are really expensive. I decided to search for a cheaper source of boots for the crew at work. I thought searching on "rubber work boots" was innocuous enough. I suppose it was naive to click on a link entitled "rubber work boots and the men who love them" but I was moving fast and doing three things at once. Uh oh, not what you want a coworker to see looking over your shoulder.

Suffice it to say that I am sure a red light went on in a little office in a large building in Washington and that my name is on a list somewhere. And I think the photos on that site would have been entirely compatible with ones on a site that caters to folks looking for large paddle strops. Or even vinyl cat-o-nine tails and leather restraining devices :biggrin1:

I am about to make a smallish (2 by 18") hanging strop to put CBN on with the intention of exploring deliberately, but precisely, rounded bevels. I find hanging strops to be a lot more pleasurable to use, I have a more natural and easy rhythm when using one.

You brought this up in another thread somewhere, and it gave me the inspiration to build my own as well. I don't exactly have a leatherworking background, so I just modified a horsehide "replacement" strop, and it works great. :thumbup1:

Legion

Staff member
One advantage of the large paddle strop is portability. It doesn't have to be attached anywhere. Sometimes it is nice to just sit in front of the TV or something, with the paddle across your knee and leisurely strop the razor.

Most of the time I use the hanging strop in the bathroom, but paddles have their uses, especially when you are new. And I always use pastes on a flat strop.

Top Bottom