What's new

Why Don't You Use A Straight Razor?

I do use shavettes almost exclusively now, but had to get over the bad reputation they have. They are supposedly hard the learn, and half DE blades are said to flex and knick even a skilled and careful shaver.

I watched Geofatboy demonstrating a Parker shavette and in looked pretty easy. I went on to watch other demos and read some how-tos on straights. A lot of shave-of-the day videos shavers have poor technique, but there are a few good ones.

Started practicing with a more aggressive safety razor, while alternating hands. When I tried a shavette it went well, so I finished with a second pass. After a few shaves I was doing three passes. It took a month using it to get the same clean shaves a safety razor did, but there were very few nicks. Now nicks almost never occur.

As it turns out half DE blades don't flex in a shavette. They are held too close to the cutting edge. It is easy to test. You do have to mind the corners. The blades however are short and you have make sure neither end presses in too hard, but you do learn control.

JD

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Honing. That and I shave the back of my neck but don't even want to try doing that with a straight razor.
I find shaving the back of my neck much easier and with improved results when using a straight razor.

Yes, edge maintenance can cost a lot and use up valuable time. A 0.1μm diamond pasted balsa strop for edge maintenance can cost you USD 20 and will add a minute or so to each shave.

If you don't already use a straight razor (that includes shavette type), what's stopping you?
I had a pretty bad first experience with a straight, and switched to DE. What's stopping me picking it up again is that the maintenance seems like a pain. Hones with different grit, stropping, etc.

A combination of three reasons:
(1) I agree with Chandu in that safety razors were a logical improvement on the straight razor approach, so going to straights now seems like backwards movement for no great reason, other than the novelty. Safety razors made shaving considerably easier and safer, requiring less technique and saving time, leading me to reason (2) which is not wanting to care for the blade between shaves. But my personal reason is (3) - I'm scared of straight razors! The thought of accidentally slicing my face off comes to mind lol

I just didn't like the handling of a straight. So I couldn't be bothered working on my skills. I also don't like the idea of slicing my lips or chin. No matter what people say, accidents happen. And they happen to everybody.

While I am normally game for trying almost any razor, I just don't have an interest in SR shaving. Could be because of the honing, etc. or could be more that I have arthritis in my thumbs and I often have shaking in my hands and don't think that would be a good combo for using a SR.

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
I don’t use a straight razor because I made a fin edge with my 0.3μ lapping film and made another with my 0.1μ diamond strop. I’ll use a barber razor/shavette or safety razor until I stop doing that.

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
Read that and didn’t remember. I did pull strokes after every set (getting swole by stropping lighter than razor weight on balsa), but I did do long x strokes most of the time. It’s about 29cm by 80cm, so it felt wrong not to be excessive. I’ll try six pairs of small x-strokes followed by pull strokes and see if I can stay off the films/hones/streets. Thanks, @rbscebu

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I've came close to going down that rabbit hole many times.

one reason would be time for honing, stropping, maintenance, etc.

the numero uno reason would be doubting my ability to acquire the skill of honing to a satisfactory level. I dont have a local mentor that would be able to help learn this skill.

camo
I enjoy reading some of your older posts 😁.

A straight razor used with proper technique gives nil skin irritation. Yes, it takes time and practice to develop proper technique.

I grinned when the guy that uses " infront and after typing safety razors claimed SR would cause less irritation.
But...after around 50 straight shaves, I do have to agree.

I believe it's because the feedback from a straight is more direct, while you are more likely to put unnecesary and continuous pressure on your DE.

A straight also gives me closer shaves than any DE I have used. But I have steered clear of monsters such as Muhle R41 or DS Z0.

But...
Maintaining a SR is soooo time consuming and the learning curve on honing is pretty steep. Because I chose natural stones over synths or film/pastes my initial startups costs have also ran pretty high.

I do like the act of honing as it's very relaxing, a real zen moment. But because I haven't fully mastered it yet it takes up too much of my time.

Set bevel, hone progressively upto 15k. Strop on linnen, strop on leather... Fail, reset bevel, hone from scratch to 15k, etc.

I finally managed to get that tuggy Kure Nai to shave smoothly again, put a smile on my face. But it's still not sharp enough.

I'm beginning to question if I want to keep at this.

That said, I thoroughly enjoy using the ones that came well honed and shave ready.

Also my little girl said it looked very cool. 😎

I’ve always been intrigued and interested by straight-razor shaving, but two things have kept me from trying.

1. I’m scared. That thing is a murder weapon.
2. I’m not really interested in learning all the maintenance of honing, strops, etc., and I am generally not good at stuff like that. Can you just take it somewhere to be maintained?

Can you just take it somewhere to be maintained?
You would need a strop for sure. Strop will clean, dry, polish the edge and straighten any microscopic dents and bumps the edge might have taken fighting your stubble.

You can let your razor be honed by shops or people that know how.
There is a wikilink on this forum.

I’ve always been intrigued and interested by straight-razor shaving, but two things have kept me from trying.

1. I’m scared. That thing is a murder weapon.
2. I’m not really interested in learning all the maintenance of honing, strops, etc., and I am generally not good at stuff like that. Can you just take it somewhere to be maintained?
As it happens, you are likely a much greater danger to the razor than it is to you, generally speaking. Straight razors are delicate, sensitive creatures, and rarely survive attempts, intentional or otherwise, at cutting anything other than whiskers. Other, perhaps, than certain characteristically hot-blooded Spanish points, the straight razor as a species is very reluctant to cut skin or flesh, and will only thrive with very gentle handling (and they'll never forget nor forgive any chance contacts with the tap or sink-rim, be warned).

Top Bottom