What's new

Why Don't You Use A Straight Razor?

Takes too long. My grandfather taught me how to use a SR in the 80’s but I rarely use one. I get almost as good a shave from a DE and the shave is much faster/less blood.

I have several straight razors and shave regularly with them. 50% of the time I shave with my DE. So basically I enjoy both. I get great close comfortable shaves with both.

Thanks Roger

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is the lapping film I used:3M 261X Aluminum Oxide Lapping Film, 9" x 13", Multiple Grit Bundle Package, One Each 0.3μm, 1μm, 3μm, and 9μm: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific - https://www.amazon.com/Aluminum-Lapping-Multiple-Bundle-Package/dp/B07435TX27/ref=sxts_sxwds-bia-wc-p13n1_0?cv_ct_cx=3m+lapping+film&dchild=1&keywords=3m+lapping+film&pd_rd_i=B07435TX27&pd_rd_r=0c6c315b-8c4c-4e61-b8c9-b9ef7f4e615c&pd_rd_w=FNSiA&pd_rd_wg=A6x2b&pf_rd_p=42e41e42-79c0-42f8-8a91-d71b944e9fa8&pf_rd_r=XY711DR5PBZ31D2Q0B95&psc=1&qid=1600701528&sr=1-1-791c2399-d602-4248-afbb-8a79de2d236f

I picked up the same lapping film bundle from Amazon -- it was shipped in a flexible envelope which was then smacked, dinged, dented and finally folded in half by the local postman to the point that it is unusable, so I ordered from Taylor tools and did not realize it was PSA (it was shipped in a plain paper envelope and one of the two envelopes was dinged and bent, so it's going back). Worked on a razor last night -- the first sheet attached well, very flat and worked well to set the bevel, but removing it from the marble slab (affected all of the sheets) peeled the PSA just enough so that when I tried to reuse it the PSA underside is not flat anymore (i.e., unless I wanted to buy several pieces of marble each sheet was one and done). Found out that acetone fingernail polish will remove the PSA and it works like the non PSA sheets (yea!), then discovered that any stray acetone also discolored the lapping side and caused some of the "grit" on the edge to come off (boo!). I believe I will get good edges eventually with lapping film, but their fragile nature and the shipper's poor packaging and post office "Hulk Smash" mentality is starting to make that become almost too much of an uphill battle and expensive to take on. I'd rather not get sharpening stones, but it's starting to look that way. After work I'm going to try to carefully remove the PSA from the sheets I used last night and start over setting the bevel and moving up (it passed the tomato skin test and will shave arm hair, just not efficiently, although I could just strop it and retest it before starting over).

:laugh:i only got 1 working hand after my stroke and the little i have learned /assumed about using an sr you need 2 hands to shave with em pulling/ stretching the skin around along with using a strop to keep a sharp edge on the blade

I've came close to going down that rabbit hole many times.

one reason would be time for honing, stropping, maintenance, etc.

the numero uno reason would be doubting my ability to acquire the skill of honing to a satisfactory level. I dont have a local mentor that would be able to help learn this skill.

camo

yeah.........

think on that a while.

for me, nothing more comfortable or awesome!!!!!

never believe a person who is quoted.

camo

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I've came close to going down that rabbit hole many times.

one reason would be time for honing, stropping, maintenance, etc.

the numero uno reason would be doubting my ability to acquire the skill of honing to a satisfactory level. I dont have a local mentor that would be able to help learn this skill.

camo
My, how situations can change over just 16 months.

It has been a pleasure sharing your adventure into the gentlemanly art.

I have been thinking on this topic for some time.
while I definitely have big desire to at least try it,
I can't convince myself on it.

I wanted to try "cheaply" - get a cheap shavette that you can get,
and try it with some rather mild blade (say derby)
I did that, managed to shave my right cheek, left cheek was problematic,
I tried neck area, and ended up with medium cut and decent amount of blood.
after that I tried few times to improve the movements (in front of the mirror)
but for some reason never put too much effort into it.

why I dont use straight:

1. I have messed eyesight (big diopter, some spheres angles and things), and I have bad sight without my glasses
don't have good orientation when using a straight/shavette (might be easier for japanese/feather/kamisori)
I am not confident enough to use my left hand

2. I have tried numerous combinations for my DE shaves (razors, blades, pre, after shaves, shaving creams/soaps)
I am getting a great shave with the current setup. getting into straight, will require a lot of learning effort,
and I dont see big space for improvement on the overall quality of shave.

3. that honing thing
looks manly and all that, movies style,
but usually interest in those thing fades over time and it becomes a chore.

4. straight would be much more complicated option compared to DE for long time use.

these are my current thoughts on it.
I plan to have like a year off after completing my PhD,
so maybe that can be a good period to reassess my position on straights.

in the last few weeks I've started straight razor shaving for the first time, and since then I haven't stopped using them. First just a rusty vintage that I cleaned up and honed a bit, followed by a new Aust Ralf that I've only had to strop to keep operating so far. I enjoy the challenge and learning opportunity it brings, the sense of unknown at least in early stages.

My previously excuses for avoiding are below. I'm still feeling through how much of these things are really going to bother me beyond the infatuation stage I'm in now.

- Upkeep/honing takes more time, and could potentially just ruin the razor or grind down to nothing if done improperly/reguarly.
- Potential for carbon steel blades to fall into disrepair with rust/tarnish is another pressure, and seem archaic.
- Acquiring yet more stuff in addition to just the razors like stones, strops, pastes.
- DE seems more evolved saving money, time and providing more safety.
- Quality new/vintage razors seem expensive.

These are all really poor excuses as far as my personality and other hobbies are concerned.

Top Bottom