What's new

why does tea taste vile in styrofoam ??

Maybe it's just me ... but I find that tea tastes absolutely wretched in styrofoam, and not much better in paper.

Perhaps tolerable in stainless (I only know this 'cause I once had a stainless camping mug).

But really only 'right' in glass or china / porcelain.

Any chemists / food scientists out there?

- Richard
(currently sipping a 2nd flush Darjeeling from Gopaldhara)

I remember when Dunkin Donuts went from serving coffee in those nice small ceramic cups to styrofoam. YUK! I agree that nothing tastes good in styrofoam.

Styrofoam, even food-grade styrofoam, isn't cured to the extent necessary to remove all outgassing, etc. and leave only inert polymer. Hot beverages accelerate the release of free styrene monomer, among other things.

It's not anything that'll have health effects, but it'll do an number on the flavour of anything in it. Even something overpoweringly-flavoured like hot cocoa seems to pick up the "off" flavours to me.

Tea and coffee only taste good in bone china. I just can't drink either from a thick earthenware/stoneware cup or mug.

Gareth

I drink nearly everything except for booze out of styrofoam and I can't taste the difference at all. I think it's in your head. :wink:

Maybe it's just me ... but I find that tea tastes absolutely wretched in styrofoam, and not much better in paper.

Perhaps tolerable in stainless (I only know this 'cause I once had a stainless camping mug).

But really only 'right' in glass or china / porcelain.

Any chemists / food scientists out there?

- Richard
(currently sipping a 2nd flush Darjeeling from Gopaldhara)

Funny, when I smoke a cigar at Starbucks I have to have my coffee in a porcelain mug. The coffee just doesn't taste right in a paper cup and it has a negative effect to my cigar.

David

I can't imagine drinking tea from a styrofoam cup. Ugh.

The cup important, but let's not forget the teapot. (Please tell me you're not steeping it in the cup..?)

Different teas benefit from different processes. But styrofoam in never good.

Agree about the above disagreeable nature of drinking from styrofoam BUT there was a thread on here a week or so ago about using a styrofoam cup as an emergency tea strainer. Well I tried it at work the other day and it was great! My only suggestion....use a rounded toothpick to punch the holes in the bottom. And drink out of a porcelain cup!

It's a dark roast (should be lesser in caffiene compared to a light roast: side note:light roast kenyan is what you need if you desire not to blink for an extended period)
Foam cups are fine by me, though it does have a weird texture

You are getting the flavor of the styrofoam mixed in with the tea flavor. That is why porcelain or tokonameware does not give any additional taste to tea.I have a cast iron teapot that (with its strainer) gives a metallic taste to tea sometimes. It depends on the tea. A weak tea, like white tea, will be easily affected.

Do you use lemon in your tea? The acid in lemon will dissolve styrofoam. Try a little lemon juice directly on the cup.

Perhaps tea itself has some acidic content that will disolve styrofoam.

Bob

Top Bottom