What's new

Why Do We Shave?

Maybe not in your part of England, but there were bureaucracies on some parts of the Eurasian landmass.

And what is a chariot or cart if it isn’t a Scythian death machine or means of transporting foodstuffs across the Fertile Crescent to earn one’s weight in donkey carvings? Surely the same purposes we still have cars now and they needed to be sold.

Good point well made.

Maybe not in your part of England

lol.jpg

Ok - so I tried to do a bit of research on the question of why we shave. Here's a quote from page 28 of the "Standardized Barbers Manual" published by the Associated Master Barbers of America (revised 1928 edition):

"The word barber comes from the Latin word "barba," meaning beard. It may surprise you to know that the earliest records of barbers show that they were the foremost men of their tribe. They were the medicine men and the priests. This was because primitive man was very superstitious and the early tribes believed that every individual was inhabited by good and bad spirits which entered the body through the hairs on the head [including, presumably, the face]. The bad spirits could be driven out only by cutting the hair......and this made the barber the most important man in the community."

So it appears that we shave to keep the good spirits in, and to keep the bad spirits out. I'm not very superstitious (unlike my primitive forefathers), but as someone who thoroughly enjoys my shaves, I can say this: shaving does seem to consistently put me in better spirits......so maybe they were on to something after all.

Shave well!

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
I shave because my Bride wants a weirdo, not a beardo.

I try to eat in the dining room or shovel sustenance into my piehole while sitting on the couch watching my idjit screen. And though I’m not much for ironing these past 30 years, the few times I do, I use the ironing board.

I take it she’ll see this meme and say it’s you:

View attachment 1289664

I’m told it’s me a lot.
Yes. That is me to a tee

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Folks might not realize that a lot of people have to shave everyday just to survive. A lot of industry have chemicals that are toxic and SCBA could be needed. Fire fighters who have to enter buildings that are full of nasty smoke and unknowns.
I shaved every day to work in a industrial setting in case I had to dawn a potable mask in a belt bag so I could exit to safe harbour.
There are a lot of other jobs that require cleaned shaven faces not just for survival but dress code like military and business.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Folks might not realize that a lot of people have to shave everyday just to survive. A lot of industry have chemicals that are toxic and SCBA could be needed. Fire fighters who have to enter buildings that are full of nasty smoke and unknowns.
I shaved every day to work in a industrial setting in case I had to dawn a potable mask in a belt bag so I could exit to safe harbour.
There are a lot of other jobs that require cleaned shaven faces not just for survival but dress code like military and business.
When I worked with TB patients I HAD to be klean shaven!

I shave because I enjoy both the process and the result. I maintain a mustache and some beard because I look better with them. And the LOTH married me when I had them and wouldn't recognize me without them. I did one clean shave during our years together. We had a good laugh.

Professionally, some well maintained facial hair told my clients that I was confident that my results would justify my excessive rates. And kept me from being mistaken for an employee.

Why do I shave? Several reasons. First, my beard is coarse and grey and I look about 20 years older than I really am when I dont shave. When I do shave I look, smell and feel much better. I also love the manly art of shaving, especially with a straight razor. Also, my beard itches like crazy if I let it grow. My wife likes it when I take care of my grooming. I cant imagine starting my day without a shave. Finally, I am just so pleased with how much money I have saved by taking up old school shaving. And if you believe all that, I have some swamp land to sell you.

Are you asking why do we, as a society, shave, or why do we INDIVIDUALLY shave?

Society wise, I heard a theory that once men (and women) began living together, in groups, a shaved man was seen as more compliant and less threatening, thereby fitting into the group easier and easing any apprehension amongst his fellow males.
. . . 🧔🏻‍♂️😓🥵🔥😆
I suspect that this has something to do with the social approval of shaving. The removal of facial hair not only makes a male more recognizable to his group, it distances him from hair- or fur-covered lower primates and other animals. True, in the latter part of the 19th Century in the West, a beard was seen in terms of manliness: the mark of a man who either was busy (read: "successful") and had no leisure time for a shave, or had the resources to have the beard professionally tended by his barber. Then, as someone else mentioned, along came World War I, and the necessity for a clean-shaven face for gas mask-wearing cropped up.

Though I have a neatly-trimmed "Commander Riker" style beard, I shave every 36 to 48 hours because I like the way it feels and makes me feel afterward. And it is a link to a sadly-bygone time when men (and women) tried to look their best, both at home and outside.

Top Bottom