What's new

Why a spike point?

I've been looking at a few of the different kinds of straight razors that exist and was wondering what the advantage of a razor with a spike point is over one that is curved?

I don't use one, because I don't need to, but . . . they are nice for getting into really tight spots.

Without sounding wierd I use a straight to get any errant nose hairs while I'm shaving. A spike is a little better for this than the round point I usually use, which is debatable because I like the round point for safety everywhere

Guys that shave and have a goatee like them because you can shave an individual whisker which is hard with anything but a straight, and easier with a spike point. Ofcourse they have their drawbacks as well.

I personally prefer round points myself

I like SP they seem to be easier around the detail areas but as already said there are risk. The worst cut I ever got was a spike to the ear:eek:

All great info already given by the men above. I have only one thing to add:

Why a spike point?.......................Why NOT a spike point! :biggrin1:

One of the problems with a round tip is there's some uncertainty as to where the sharp part ends, and this has led to all of my worst nicks. Spikes look more menacing, but at least you know exactly where the nicky-bits aren't. I prefer spikes and french tips.

There are a lot of square points (in contrast to round points) available and these shouldn't be confused with spikes. Some users of spikes dull the tip of their blades to avoid the hazards pointed out above.

Hal

They are just another style of razor end. There are many. I find them good for precision work but on the down side if they are a true spike point you need to mind the edge or they will get you. I wouldn't recommend them for someone starting out. it just another thing for a newbee to worry about.

I like SP they seem to be easier around the detail areas but as already said there are risk. The worst cut I ever got was a spike to the ear:eek:

For me it was below the ear. You just have to pay a little more attention to the toe of the blade, that's all. Spikes are not good for any kind of concave features, but they are awsome for trimming straight lines.

Square points seem to have been the most common style in America, but in the UK you hardle ever see them except on really old wedge grinds. Anybody know why?

If you learn to shave with a spike point first then a round point will be a piece of cake. The old time barbers considered the round point razors for only trimming the back of the neck and around the ears after a hair cut. The spike was the razor used for the shave. A lot of ebay razors have the spike rounded off.
I find this to be a fault and the geometry of the blade has been compromised.

Glen

I use an old Neppo wedge with a spike point and Sheffield notch quite a lot as I have one of those van-dykey type beards with the jaw runners and thin sideburns. I find this the best for getting really defined edges - essential with thin 'burns or they just look scruffy - but I do use my old Kropp now and again (round point) for below the jawline as this has a finer cut than the wedge. :c6:

Top Bottom