What's new

Wholly Kaw 'Siero' Base

I know this is pretty new, but has any one tried it yet? The scent notes for 'Rebelle' have my attention, but I'm mostly wondering how this new base differs from the other Wholly Kaw offerings.

I purchased a tub of Rebelle and one of Fougere Bouquet. I cannot really tell any difference in performance. FWIW, I find that to be true for most artisan soaps.

I really like the soap. It’s slick but not worlds ahead of the standard WK (already great)formula. It is, however very different in consistency. It’s more stringy and sticky on the brush before lathering if that makes sense? Almost identical to the behavior of CRSW Glide if you’ve tried that? These two bases have a different look but lather identically to me.

I've been using the WK DM base for a couple years, have recently finished up a tub of the Bufala base (king of bourbon) and have a few shaves with the Siero. I do think Siero is the slicker of the three. I'd have to do side-by-side one cheek DM and the other Siero to advise on post shave differences. But the Siero post shave leaves my face feeling great, neutral as in not agitated in any way.

Siero is a great base but takes on a ton of water and just keeps building and building. Don’t overload or you will wind up with a ton of lather than never seems to be hydrated enough. Great skin ingredients.

Great soap but I’m still dialing it in. No matter what I do it just keeps growing and taking on water. Haven’t come close to breaking it yet from over hydrating. Skin seems to love it.

Just got my Rebelle Wednesday & shaved with it yesterday. It's the first WK soap I've had so I can't compare it to others but I was very impressed. Very rich creamy lather. Felt great.
I like the scent too. Not sweet at all (I don't like sweet).

I have scentrophy on the siero base and the scent is a little odd but not unpleasant. The quality of the protection this soap gives though is the best I have experienced so far - it is so slick that even if you miss up the lather (as I did today) the soap still provides more than enough protection to let the blade glide on your skin. The skin feels great afterwards also.

I have now tried Tempest siero base and while the performance is excellent, the scent is truly the oddest I have come across. It smells as if a clod of soil was mixed into the soap during its preparation because it smells of damp earth. I dont know about anyone else but that is not a pleasant smell to me.

wholly-kaw-shaving-soap-bare-siero-3_680x700.jpg

Equipment:
Yaqi Timberwolf 26mm Synthetic
Rockwell 6c #6, #5 / Feather #1
No aftershave

Scent: Some dry cat food, nothing more. When lathering this smell disappears and there is no scent at all.

Lathering/Loading: Extremely easy to load with a damp brush. The density of the lather is phenomenal and if I should compare it with something, this would be A&E, but even more creamy. It can hold TONS of water and I could hydrate it even more.

Performance: I have to mention this: I overdid it with the razor on purpose, to reach the limits of this soap, keep this in mind.

First pass #6: This beast was so slick even from the proto lather, that I was shocked. The Feather glided on #6 so easy and smooth that I couldn't even feel the blade, there was no blade feedback sound at all. I made some buffing and the residual slickness without any water addition was world class level. Few soaps can achieve this. It wasn't easy to rinse it off from the first pass. Fatty face feel, like a heavy moisturizer.

Second pass #5: The lather was still creamy and even slicker. Damn me. The Feather wasn't able to catch my skin anywhere but I kept buffing to see where I can go. A small spot of blood appeared near the chin.

ATG Final pass #5: I lost the angle and applied pressure 3 or 4 times and this blade is definitely not for me finally. It is way too sharp and harsh for no reason. No bleeders so far, the slickness and protection were there but I could feel the blade trying to dig into my skin. I was shaving where there was no lather, the soap did its best, but some dots and small cuts made their appearance. (Oh I hate this blade). I didn't remember it so aggressive. The moustache area was very smooth though, the buffing was so easy there. No stubble left finally. Some blood spots near the mouth and neck from over shaving.
Some touch ups, with the addition of water only, the residual slickness was definitely the highlight of this shave. I was speechless.. I could write more and more about this soap..

Post shave: In one word; Phenomenal.
No other soap can offer this level of hydration, I left the lather for 3 minutes all over my face and when I rinsed it, the result was like I went back ten years. I was like wearing some kind of invisible mask, no drying, no tightness, nothing. Smooth toned face and even now 4 hours later, it feels hydrated with no balm. A&E may go close to it but Siero is the king in this section.

PS: I must try the Milksteak to make the "Clash of the Titans". For now Siero is better than Icarus overall.

Siero is a great base and will give you a fantastic shave but it does take a lot of work to dial in properly. For this reason I’m a bigger fan of Milksteak. The price of Siero is also high compared to similar performing soaps, I find the vegan WK base to have almost as good as siero but at 2/3 the price.

Siero is a great base and will give you a fantastic shave but it does take a lot of work to dial in properly. For this reason I’m a bigger fan of Milksteak. The price of Siero is also high compared to similar performing soaps, I find the vegan WK base to have almost as good as siero but at 2/3 the price.
Totally agree.

I've been working my way through a tub of WK Iced Tea in Siero base. The soap base is elite and definitely in the top 3 of all soaps I've tried.

But yes, $30 for 4 oz of soap is too much in my opinion and I won't be re-purchasing at that price point. There are other players in the soap game that are extremely good and way less money. For example, Hub City Soaps is $18 for 4 oz. It's right up there with WK. Also another vote for DG's Milksteak base. I grabbed a new tub for $18 the other day.

I love WK, but I believe he's priced himself out of the market.

I've been working my way through a tub of WK Iced Tea in Siero base. The soap base is elite and definitely in the top 3 of all soaps I've tried.

But yes, $30 for 4 oz of soap is too much in my opinion and I won't be re-purchasing at that price point. There are other players in the soap game that are extremely good and way less money. For example, Hub City Soaps is $18 for 4 oz. It's right up there with WK. Also another vote for DG's Milksteak base. I grabbed a new tub for $18 the other day.

Kaizen too!

Agreed. I found WK on sale and stocked up. In Canada it is normally 2x the price of Stirling and a 30-40% more than DG/B&M which is nutty IMO.

Soft Heart and Milksteak are almost as good as Siero IMO.

Equipment:
Yaqi Timberwolf 26mm Synthetic
Rockwell 6c #6, #5 / Feather #1
No aftershave

Scent: Some dry cat food, nothing more. When lathering this smell disappears and there is no scent at all.

Lathering/Loading: Extremely easy to load with a damp brush. The density of the lather is phenomenal and if I should compare it with something, this would be A&E, but even more creamy. It can hold TONS of water and I could hydrate it even more.

Performance: I have to mention this: I overdid it with the razor on purpose, to reach the limits of this soap, keep this in mind.

First pass #6: This beast was so slick even from the proto lather, that I was shocked. The Feather glided on #6 so easy and smooth that I couldn't even feel the blade, there was no blade feedback sound at all. I made some buffing and the residual slickness without any water addition was world class level. Few soaps can achieve this. It wasn't easy to rinse it off from the first pass. Fatty face feel, like a heavy moisturizer.

Second pass #5: The lather was still creamy and even slicker. Damn me. The Feather wasn't able to catch my skin anywhere but I kept buffing to see where I can go. A small spot of blood appeared near the chin.

ATG Final pass #5: I lost the angle and applied pressure 3 or 4 times and this blade is definitely not for me finally. It is way too sharp and harsh for no reason. No bleeders so far, the slickness and protection were there but I could feel the blade trying to dig into my skin. I was shaving where there was no lather, the soap did its best, but some dots and small cuts made their appearance. (Oh I hate this blade). I didn't remember it so aggressive. The moustache area was very smooth though, the buffing was so easy there. No stubble left finally. Some blood spots near the mouth and neck from over shaving.
Some touch ups, with the addition of water only, the residual slickness was definitely the highlight of this shave. I was speechless.. I could write more and more about this soap..

Post shave: In one word; Phenomenal.
No other soap can offer this level of hydration, I left the lather for 3 minutes all over my face and when I rinsed it, the result was like I went back ten years. I was like wearing some kind of invisible mask, no drying, no tightness, nothing. Smooth toned face and even now 4 hours later, it feels hydrated with no balm. A&E may go close to it but Siero is the king in this section.

PS: I must try the Milksteak to make the "Clash of the Titans". For now Siero is better than Icarus overall.
Thanks for the review

Top Bottom