What's new

Who taught you how to Wet Shave?

Pretty much self-taught. I started with a Norelco electric, experimented a little with the cartridge razors in the '70s and '80s (the razor shave was really to polish off what the electric had left behind), but didn't buy my first DE razor until 3-4 years ago.

My Grandad. 17 years ago, I was 15. Old school military attitude- I was forbidden from using a cartridge razor until I had used a 'mans' razor!

We mostly used a Gillette open comb- it was a gold battered and tatty example and at the time I thought it was junk- actually he had it since the 1950's. Now I know better but unfortunately it went missing a few years later, think my Granny had binned it :(
Wilkinson sword blades (he had a box of well over 250 he had bought once), Palmolive shaving cream, old spice shaving mug. Scratchy brush from boots the chemist. Old spice aftershave which used to entertain him greatly when it stung me!
Usual cuts and nicks, including a whopper across the top of my cheek when i decided to slide the razor across for the next stroke... stopped the bleeding and need two sterile strips to hold it together :/
My mum had kittens! Grandad got annoyed with her- "Stop fussing over your bairn lassie!"

I always admired my grandparents for their self respect in presentation- Always immaculately turned out, appropriate with steadfast bearing and deportment. A great generation- a true Lady and Gentleman.

Self taught (and not very well) in the 70s. Began using electrics in the 80s and back to DE a little over two years ago. I watched lots of videos and read lots of threads. The Geofatboy video with WTG, then an XTG, and then an XTG the other way was probably the most influential. I have now convinced my 90 year old father to dump the electric he always hated but started using after beginning blood thinners. He uses a cart because he is more comfortable with the huge handle in his arthritic hands, but uses a silvertip brush I gave him with WSP Formula T soap. When I asked him how come he never taught me how to shave, he responded that no one ever taught him. This is from the greatest father anyone could have hoped for, learning to shave was different back then.

D7805FE4-5B39-4324-8E7E-CFBA718C3C54.jpeg 75AFCB14-E738-4FDA-ADE3-CC694EF66B33.jpeg 84DE6342-D938-434D-B389-A317B408BA92.jpeg Self taught after being frustrated with the cartridges. I picked out a kit from amazon for Christmas 2011 and here we are! I did find a cool straight razor that my dad had in his garage. He passed away Jan 2016 and I found it when we were cleaning out his garage. I wish I could have asked him about it. I’m guessing it was his Dad’s, if not his Grandpa’s. I’ll post a few pics of it. I apologize if the pics aren’t allowed in this thread.

Self taught using a sensor. Dad usually uses electric and sometimes a Mach 3 nowadays. He never bothered to discuss anything about shaving with me.

When I was little I watched and learned from dear old Dad shaving with his Old Spice Mug and brush. He used a slim that I now have and use. It's not brain surgery and I first started shaving with a Gillette Techmatic and a can of foam. BTW, I loved that Techmatic and I used it till Gillette stopped making the cartridges for it.

Watching my brother in law shave showed me simple technique, but I am a self taught wet shaver. My father used carts, so I never learned from him.

Top Bottom