What's new

Who makes a Tallow + Lanolin bath soap bar?

A lifetime's worth of soap doesn't take up much room.
It does believe me. I have 7 80L tubs to reorganise.

One down...

20230625_201230.jpg

Check out house of mammoth, Crowne and crane, sterling, hell even phoenix artisan accoutrements , dapper Yankee, barrister and mann, even Etsy would be worth looking at.
I've looked at all of those. None make a soap that has both tallow and lanolin, though some do make lanolin only or tallow only. I spoke to the lady at Crowne and Crane and she was intrigued enough that she might try to come up with something.

Some of the Stirling bath soaps ( not all ) have tallow and lanolin. Electric Sheep is one. Glastonbury is another. It appears to be ones that he makes with sheep mutton.

While I do see both tallow and lanolin to be good ingredients for a shaving soap, I am not so sure about them in a bath soap.

Lanolin is a waxy substance that is ideal for making sheep wool water resistant, but I am not so sure I would want to coat my entire body with it. For small patches of dry skin it can be great.

If you have oily skin or are prone to acne, then lanolin is not recommended. Many people have allergic reactions to lanolin. Also, sheep that are not raised in an organic environment can sometimes transfer toxic compounds such as pesticides and herbicidesto their wool from which lanolin is extracted. Thus, if you do use lanolin, it might be best to use it sparingly.

There are many other substances that provide similar benefits to lanolin without some of the complications. Shea butter, cocoa butter, Kokum butter, Mango butter, Cupuaco butter, Tucuma butter, Jajoba oil, Argan oil, Avocado oil, and beeswax are just some of the skin friendly ingredients that can be used instead.

Actually, allergies to lanolin is not common. There are a lot of bath soaps with lanolin. It keeps the skin soft and hydrated very well. Mitchell's is the only tallow + lanolin I can readily find. It is a great bath soap, especially for those with dry skin.

Actually, allergies to lanolin is not common. There are a lot of bath soaps with lanolin. It keeps the skin soft and hydrated very well. Mitchell's is the only tallow + lanolin I can readily find. It is a great bath soap, especially for those with dry skin.
Yeah, I've done some digging into that, and the study that was done on lanolin sensitivity that everyone bases the 'lanolin sensitivity is common' thing on, was carried out at a hospital using patients with a history of dermal issues. The people used in the study were more likely than average to have a lanolin sensitivity. The actual number of people with lanolin sensitivity is quite low.

Yeah, I've done some digging into that, and the study that was done on lanolin sensitivity that everyone bases the 'lanolin sensitivity is common' thing on, was carried out at a hospital using patients with a history of dermal issues. The people used in the study were more likely than average to have a lanolin sensitivity. The actual number of people with lanolin sensitivity is quite low.
In the past, I have experienced sensitivity to what I suspect is lanolin when using shave soaps containing it on a daily basis. Mostly around my chin and lower lip area.

My complexion is best described as combination skin and I eat a fairly healthy diet, rarely on the junk foods - though I cannot escape a good pizza.

This year I have since moved away from a daily shave schedule into a more reserved 4 or sometimes 5 day routine and haven’t seen the sensitivities resurface.

Shannon at Shannon's soaps is experimenting with a tallow + lanolin bath bar. She says that so far it is really nice. So far, she has lavender with bergamot, but of course, other scents could come if it sells. If this works out, we will have another source and I'll certainly be buying.

I've been testing the Shannon's tallow + lanolin bath soap. I have to say that it is really good. She is still tweaking, but I will give a full report when she is done. It leaves my skin feeling really nice and moist and not waxy or oily.

Top Bottom