What's new

Who made the first shaving soap and croap?

De Vergulde Hand (1554) as previously mentioned may be the oldest known Western commercial brand of shaving soap. American Caswell-Massey certainly produced soap in the 1750s (most famously reportedly used by one Geo. Washington, along with their #6 fragrance formulated in 1772), and it was certainly used for shaving, but I don't recall being marketed as such. Pears in London produced a shaving soap in 1789, and is still produced, although by report not quite as good as the original (I confess, I didn't try it back then, and therefore can't really compare). So Williams, orig. 1840, is a relative newcomer. And of course, soap has been around since the first caveman figured out that ashes and fat made a pretty good washing-up goo, also suitable for lubricating the face for the morning shave. And undoubtedly branded and marketed by the Sumerians, Mesopotamians, Egyptians, Greeks, Romans, Celts, Angles, Saxons, Normans, Mongols and Chinese, shaving with their flint, obsidian, jade, copper, bronze and iron razors, whose companies and names are now lost in the fog of history. :001_tongu

De Vergulde Hand (1554) as previously mentioned may be the oldest known Western commercial brand of shaving soap. American Caswell-Massey certainly produced soap in the 1750s (most famously reportedly used by one Geo. Washington, along with their #6 fragrance formulated in 1772), and it was certainly used for shaving, but I don't recall being marketed as such. Pears in London produced a shaving soap in 1789, and is still produced, although by report not quite as good as the original (I confess, I didn't try it back then, and therefore can't really compare). So Williams, orig. 1840, is a relative newcomer. And of course, soap has been around since the first caveman figured out that ashes and fat made a pretty good washing-up goo, also suitable for lubricating the face for the morning shave. And undoubtedly branded and marketed by the Sumerians, Mesopotamians, Egyptians, Greeks, Romans, Celts, Angles, Saxons, Normans, Mongols and Chinese, shaving with their flint, obsidian, jade, copper, bronze and iron razors, whose companies and names are now lost in the fog of history. :001_tongu
Nothing like an obsidian razor for that "just scraped in the early morning" feeling. . . .

Top Bottom