What's new

Who likes Rice Pudding?

How do you make yours?

I use arborio rice and cook it like one would risotto, instead of using stock, adding a bit of milk during the cooking process and the insides of a vanilla bean, finished off with grated white chocolate.

Sounds excellent. I haven't made it but often order at restaurants. I am even more fond of Indian pudding, which is a New England classic. I have to track down a good recipe for that, nobody makes it out here in CA.

mmm, was just thinking of making some the other day with some left over rice that we had from our cooker. No idea how to make it but was thinking some experimentation was in order :biggrin1:

I make it once in a while using a very basic recipe. I vary it when serving by adding toppings.

Sounds excellent. I haven't made it but often order at restaurants. I am even more fond of Indian pudding, which is a New England classic. I have to track down a good recipe for that, nobody makes it out here in CA.

Is what you're thinking of made with cornmeal and molasses? If so, I have a good recipe that I'd be happy to share.

Another vote here for arborio (risotto) rice. Stays that little bit crunchier than pudding rice, and has a lovely nutty finish on it.

Also cardamom. Good, fresh, green cardamom is just about my favourite thing to flavour rice pudding with. Saffron is good, vanilla is fantastic, but the warm spiciness of cardamom really does it for me.

I often make mine as a stirred (stovetop) rather than baken (oven) pudding. It's more effort - you have to stir the whole time - but quicker and harder to mess up. I often overcook it in the oven.

Last edited:
It's alright. I tend to find it too sweet for me. But at least it isn't tapioca. I try to like that stuff. I really do. But it makes me physically ill.

Rice pudding lover here too, with round rice, milk, sugar and cinnamon.
My mother makes a delicious one with raisins soaked in rum...

I like rice pudding too! However, I'm fussy....I only like the tinned stuff (preferably Ambrosia Creamed Rice Pudding) and only cold straight from the tin.

Top Bottom