What's new

Who knows about these vintage Gillette travel sets?

I've admired some of these travel sets, usually seen with a zamac head tech and pass.
I jumped on this one in great, almost new shape and was pumped to find one of the tubes is like a lipstick tube TTO badger brush. How cool! I'd have paid the 25 bucks just for that little brush lol.

Can anyone tell me more about these? I'd like to know:
- Were they put together and sold by Gillette, or did they just supply razors to some department store merchant?
- What should be in the long tube across the bottom?... toothbrush?
- One vial has I'm guessing talc powder, the other smells like an aftershave. Would they have came empty or filled?... with what, old spice or the like?
- The other brass tube like the badger brush twists and brings up a little shave soap stick... was it, and is it replaceable?

Any knowledge dropped is appreciated!
16150419859531869453752734993478.jpg

1615042093694179082891409302641.jpg

Last edited:
Very nice! I was inspired by this post do do some digging, and found this on the bay. With the Lockheed Constellation on the case I just had to have it. Your shaving brush is way nicer, but my shaving stick looks nearly new. Little Tech shaved fine. No date code, so 1946-1950.

89238966-DC38-4C66-8EF1-8CB2F8F6A898.jpeg

25C13B86-D90A-4BD7-A4C0-553E23D25DD2.jpeg

2AD9F030-55E6-45CC-B616-C4C0FFBB900F.jpeg

Glad I could assist with your RAD! I've seen that brush looking for my set...guessing it's nylon?

Nylon or maybe Rayon, it’s pretty soft. Not sure what fibers would have been used for brushes in that time. Hope it’s not asbestos. :).

At only $10, I couldn’t pass it up! It really looks brand new, I doubt it was ever used. Neat decor piece, I have a lot of older aviation themed things around. The registration number on the print doesn’t match any Connie registrations, but I suspect that it was a 1’st class toiletry kit from some airline.

I'll gladly give you 10 bucks for it, you did well!
It's nice that it crosses into the aviation theme for you... now you only count half of what you spent on it towards your razor collection.

Found an airplane toothbrush in my toiletry kit today...and proceeded with a travel brush replica of my own.
Clipped it with wire cutters, sanded the shape on the end with 60 grit by hand, followed by a couple minutes with 2,500 grit. I'm pretty pleased with the result!
16173033831115509213731849985749.jpg
16173035994886784600842810307898.jpg
Screenshot_20210401-145302_Chrome.jpg

Is that a photo of your own set, or did you find it somewhere? Link please....
Sorry for my tardy reply! I saw the Travel Pak on worthpoint.com. If you enter 'travel pak shaving kit' on the site, you will see lots of links to eBay sales. Some are going very cheaply, especially in the UK.

Sorry for my tardy reply! I saw the Travel Pak on worthpoint.com. If you enter 'travel pak shaving kit' on the site, you will see lots of links to eBay sales. Some are going very cheaply, especially in the UK.
That was a pretty cool site, but they want you to pay to see prices? Don't they know you can search completed auctions on ebay for free?

I've admired some of these travel sets, usually seen with a zamac head tech and pass.
I jumped on this one in great, almost new shape and was pumped to find one of the tubes is like a lipstick tube TTO badger brush. How cool! I'd have paid the 25 bucks just for that little brush lol.

Can anyone tell me more about these? I'd like to know:
- Were they put together and sold by Gillette, or did they just supply razors to some department store merchant?
- What should be in the long tube across the bottom?... toothbrush?
- One vial has I'm guessing talc powder, the other smells like an aftershave. Would they have came empty or filled?... with what, old spice or the like?
- The other brass tube like the badger brush twists and brings up a little shave soap stick... was it, and is it replaceable?

Any knowledge dropped is appreciated!View attachment 1232788
View attachment 1232792
Gillette did lots marketing aimed at traveling business people....

That was a pretty cool site, but they want you to pay to see prices? Don't they know you can search completed auctions on ebay for free?
I use it to browse items, then I look on the Bay for the sale! The site is more aimed at flippers and estate sales pickers looking to make a quick profit.

You can only search for about 6 months worth of completed auctions on eBay, and a lot of the time the pictures are deleted long before that. Worthpoint has archives going back many years, and they save all the photos to their site instead of relying on eBay hosting.

I found another of the same set I have in a local shop and brought it home for $30. I just couldn't let it sit there dirty, collecting dust and unloved.
Plan to clean it up and offer to the community... eventually.
Here it is after the quick wipe down:
20210507_191047.jpg

Top Bottom