What's new

Who knew?

Back in the teen years I got a free Mach 3 razor when I graduated junior high school (get em early Gillette!). I distinctly remember my first shave before going to the 8th grade graduation party. Everything went smoothly as I recall...I can even remember the cheap aftershave I found under the counter. My dad used an electric so I was on my own...trial by fire.

Years rolled on, been clean shaved, goatee’d, full beard, even went with hillbilly chaw slide for a while. Always been pretty lazy and just used clippers to clear the jungle. Good enough...

Well I moved to Japan and saw at a flea market this weird razor with gears on the side. What the heck is this thing? I picked it up to go next to my ship lanterns and blow torch. I started looking into it a little and found it was an autostrop. Weird thing...takes special blades...oh well. Then I remembered seeing double edge razors for sale at the pharmacy here. Who knew the Japanese still support the classics. I checked and they also had the necessary Feather blades for the Autostrop. Huh. Turns out their made here. Well...what the heck...why not.

Got some budget gear from the pharmacy (brush soap etc) and some blades and set out for the mirror. Sporting a 2 week growth I went straight to it.....

To be continued....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Huh....don’t seem to be able to edit.

All this is new to me....

I lather up with some powdered kind of soap and a brush that felt more like a house painting brush than something for my face. Load in a blade a hit the strop...seeing the blade flip flop is kinda cool. Went slow and steady making sure it flipped before continuing. After about 10 flip-flops and we ready to begin.

Let’s do this.

(Sound of sand paper on a wash board)

Well. That was rough and jarring. I’ll chock that up to inexperience and a heavy growth. Next passes were much better. Overall no cuts or burns. I gave my face a couple days rest.

Next, I made my own soap from unscented squalene, essential oils, jojoba, and a few other ingredients. Nice and slippery, lathers up nice. Lathers a little thick, have to watch that.

Went to it again, much better this time.

Next I made my own after shave. Mix of menthol oil, alcohol, glycerin, and alum. Nice a cool with a little bite.

Next shave...think I got this now....pretty dang smooth.

All in all....I think I’m getting into this....

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Welcome to the forum from Australia and thanks for checking in with us. You can keep a Diary or Journal in the Diary and Journal Forum if you like. That way you can look back and check on your progress.

Thanks for the welcome.

Making soap was easy. My formulation adventure started with a beard and mustache wax. Being in Japan it’s tough to find some of this trendier or old time stuff so I had to make my own.

I’ve made hand lotion, hair wax, hair clay, beard treatments, hair growth stimulator (theoretical, but science based), spray salt, baby cream, and now shave soap and aftershave.

Also make my own beer (9%abv), sour cream, and mushrooms.

Sometimes the only way to get what you want is to do it yourself.

Welcome!

I have two Autostrops and love them (I had 5 at one point but the shaves were so similar and I needed funds to buy different razors).

Honestly haven't used either in a while because I recently started trying various vintage DE blades - but I might have to pull one out this weekend.

One of my favorite eye candy threads on this forum is the Valet typology thread: AutoStrop/Valet Razors: A Typology in 13 Parts - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/autostrop-valet-razors-a-typology-in-13-parts.521932/

Happy shaving!

Little pron here...

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

It’s weird. I never really “got” shaving. It was more of a boring chore I never wanted to do. I think I shaved every day since this post. I tried to give myself a break yesterday, but just couldn’t resist....for some reason. Today...I decided to rest. I’ve got some bumps that have developed, either moles or some damage from day one adventure or other imperfection that’s been irritated. It’s not razor burn or anything, I’ve seen that way back when. Nothing ingrown that I can see. The bumps are sporadic and sparse. So I figured I’d let them heal and start again tomorrow with a single pass instead of the 3 way I’ve been doing.

Off track, the point....it was tough NOT shaving. Weird. Every time I walked by I wanted to try out the new brush or just a few passes in the strop. I resisted.

My wife says I look much more handsome this way too. She said she couldn’t figure out what was different the past few days, but somethjng just looked “better”. I also like the way my skin feels. It feels cleaner, tighter, but softer.

Tomorrow’s adventure? I got some feather stainless blades in the mail today...4usd free shipping. Salt+wound, I know guys. Until now I’ve used an OG Valet (scrape fest day one...maybe try again one day), Feather Carbon (much better, think technique is lacking), I tried to fit a Kai Best in it....but a pin is just sliiightly off.

Will report back!

Top Bottom