What's new

Who got a "Goose?

Sorry if it sounded like I was saying you were all wrong. That was not my intention. Just trying to give some updated information because the Mongoose connections do not have a presence on B&B.

From what I have heard on Facebook and other shaving sites, production cost on the Mongoose are such that it might cause the price to go to high with the added margin needed for Phil to make any money. He made a statement on his facebook page several weeks ago saying that it is not 100% he will have the Mongoose for sale and the Mongoose people have said that the razor will still be available direct even if they have other vendors selling it.

I own the Cobra and the King Cobra and agree that the price is to high for a razor with its flaws. If I had not purchased them before the Mongoose I would most likely not own them. That does not mean I am selling them however, because I also enjoy the shave I get from those razors.

I didn't take it in a negative way. I'd rather be corrected than to continue to share incorrect information, so thanks for letting me know.

I have owned a Mongoose and a Cobra but I ended up selling them because I found I can get just as close a shave and smoother shave with a DE razor. I do not have a heavy beard so maybe that's why I prefer a DE over the SE razors.

I do agree with Ron about the closeness. The ATT razor that I have will give me just as close of a shave as the Mongoose but the Mongoose seems just a little more efficient in getting there. I attribute this to the characteristics of the sharper Feather Pro style blades. As far as the smoothness goes some of the pro style blades are smoother than others so if you find one that works for you then you're all set, if you don't then you probably won't care for the razor. There are many more de blades available so you can just about always find a smooth blade there.

In two passes I'm further toward a perfect shave with the Mongoose than I am with the ATT DE version. This doesn't make one razor better than the other as the final result from both is an absolutely perfect bbs shave every time. With all of the high end premium razors it comes down to finding the right razor (and blade) for you.

That being said I'm not going to choose between the two razors because I'm not at a point where I have to. I'm rather fond of both of these razors so I'll be keeping, and will be enjoying, both of them. I may even pick up an ATT slant at some point to see what that's all about.

I guess my point aside from the ymmv thing is that it's nice to have many exceptional razors to choose from.

Last edited:
David-

I would have thought that switching back and forth between an SE and DE. As stated previously, I have a shave stroke that I have used for 45 years and I would prefer to refine it for an SE rather than change it completely in order to use a DE. While the ATT in general, and the Slant in particular, fit my desire for a high-quality razor, they require a complete red-do of my skill sets. This is the appeal of the Mongoose to me: quality, better overall shave due to better blades, same basic shave stroke that I use now and is a piece of art that will last longer than I and my son will (combined).

As with others, I have a difficult time justifying top dollar for a non-SS razor. That issue alone leans me away from the Cobra; I don't just want a razor for that money; I want a piece of art. I am more than prepared to spend good money for the right product -- I just bought two Chubby's and they were not inexpensive.
self-edit. Sorry, Mods...

Last edited:
David-

I would have thought that switching back and forth between an SE and DE. As stated previously, I have a shave stroke that I have used for 45 years and I would prefer to refine it for an SE rather than change it completely in order to use a DE. While the ATT in general, and the Slant in particular, fit my desire for a high-quality razor, they require a complete red-do of my skill sets. This is the appeal of the Mongoose to me: quality, better overall shave due to better blades, same basic shave stroke that I use now and is a piece of art that will last longer than I and my son will (combined).

As with others, I have a difficult time justifying top dollar for a non-SS razor. That issue alone leans me away from the Cobra; I don't just want a razor for that money; I want a piece of art. I am more than prepared to spend good money for the right product -- I just bought two Chubby's and they were not inexpensive.

That said, if someone out there in BadgerLand has decided to get rid of their Mongoose, hit me up.

After trying both, the shave stroke for them both is so similar that I really can't see a major difference needed skill wise to use one or the other. I think if you master one you will have mastered the other as well. I don't see anything wrong with either choice here because picking between these two razors is like picking between a Lamborghini or a Ferrari. Both are absolutely outstanding.

So while I don't get the logic behind your choice I do believe that you should have the razor that appeals to you most. Since both of your choices are absolutely exceptional there's no reason to try and talk you out of either one.

I'd recommend putting a WTB add up but see that your current post count likely won't allow it. Do know that you're not technically allowed to solicit a purchase outside of the Sales Forum type areas so that kinda breaks the rules and I'd remove it before the mods catch it. You can express your desire to own one of these and complain about not being able to get one all you want but you cannot technically ask someone to sell you one.

There are people in this thread that are constantly trying and deciding if they like these razors. Checking in here often and stating your desire to own one, and asking about the status of their availability, might lead someone to give you a heads up that they are going to put one up for sale soon.

Sometimes the biggest challenge to buying something like this is getting to be first in line. If you're in this thread often enough you'll know what is going to become available and can likely find one soon enough.

I wish you luck in getting one. You've obviously been doing your research as you're choosing some really great shaving gear.

Thanks for the heads-up... I have deleted the offending P.S. from my post.

I couldn't possibly check this thread more than I do now, but can always hope that I see something available.

I am going to start with the ATT for now, as I need a quality shave. Hopefully, the Mongoose will be available soon.

Thanks for your comments. Most appreciated.

Last edited:
The Mongoose didn't turn out to be the R41 2011 killer I was expecting, but it is the highest quality razor I own and it does a fine job of shaving while using the same blades as my shavettes. If only the R41 had a stainless steel version... I've since been using a BBX and that takes care of my aggressive hunt. I use an Apollo handle with my Mongoose, but I haven't used the thinner handle that came with it. I believe I'd enjoy a short, fat handle on the Mongoose as well. Until Fatboy February is over, I'm relegated to the weekends to experiment with the Mongoose.

Customized my Mongoose with Cerakote. Shaves like a dream.

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1423708613.842929.jpg

I have a Mongoose razor and I like it. I wait a couple of days between shaves and my growth is a lot and this causes the goose not to rinse out under water. It is a little annoying. I wish it had more of space between the blade and the bar but that could make it more aggressive. So for me I am undecided to keep or sell. It is a beauty and very well made. I really would like to find one perfect razor. Is that possible?

I have a Mongoose razor and I like it. I wait a couple of days between shaves and my growth is a lot and this causes the goose not to rinse out under water. It is a little annoying. I wish it had more of space between the blade and the bar but that could make it more aggressive. So for me I am undecided to keep or sell. It is a beauty and very well made. I really would like to find one perfect razor. Is that possible?

Sounds to me like you'd benefit from an open comb razor. The open combs are a cure to this problem and work effortlessly with even the longest growth. The ATT open combs are really nice, outstanding in fact.

I did hear something about the Mongoose eventually being offered in an open comb version as well. I'm not entirely sure if this is factual as I don't remember the source from which I heard it. Maybe someone else here will know more about this.

Another way to combat this issue would be to shave more often.

Thanks
I will look into the ATT open comb version. I don't shave daily just to give my face a rest.

If you're tearing yourself up shaving every day then maybe focus on your technique. Most with good technique can shave every day without any issues.

Does anybody else have trouble with the Feather super blades? I've only used one so far and tey don't fit as well as the Pro's.

Once their installed they get stuck in the top cap.

For me they were a little tighter fit than the other blades and stuck in the cap the first time I used one but I've only used the one so far. I take the blade out and clean everything after each shave and after a few shaves it wasn't sticking anymore. Either the razor is just wearing in or the blade has given a bit. I guess we'll see with the next new Super blade I try.

Top Bottom