What's new

Who endulges in Ramune?

The word "Ramune" is actually a Japanese interpretation of "lemonade." Both the drink and the bottle were introduced in Japan by western entrepreneurs not long after the beginning of the Meiji era in Japan. There was a huge interest in western cuisine at the time and Ramune is one of the things that stuck.

I think that the taste is probably closest to something like 7-Up. There are lots of strange varieties available--I saw Curry Ramune in a store once--but I think that the original is the most popular. Glass-bottled Ramune does have a real old-fashioned feel to it, but I see more and more PET bottles in stores in Japan. Like Thunderball said, it's mostly a kids' drink in Japan, but occasionally it will make its way into a Chuhai, a cocktail made with shochu and some kind of mixer.

The marble falling into the bottle seems very unsanitary to me. It could be dusty from the store shelves, could have rat droppings from a warehouse and you don't know how many kids touched it in the stores. Of course, I always wipe off cans of food before opening the lids for those reasons, even the dog's food.

Then again, Japan is not renowned for being the most sanitary place with some of the foods they eat.

Doesn't sound appealing to me. Interesting maybe, but no thanks!

The marble falling into the bottle seems very unsanitary to me. It could be dusty from the store shelves, could have rat droppings from a warehouse and you don't know how many kids touched it in the stores. Of course, I always wipe off cans of food before opening the lids for those reasons, even the dog's food.

Then again, Japan is not renowned for being the most sanitary place with some of the foods they eat.

No, it doesn't work like that. The marble is already inside the bottle, beneath the seal. Essentially, the bottle is divided into two interconnecting chambers, with the marble in the top.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ramune

The top of the bottle is also sealed with plastic. The sanitary measures taken in Japan with food are far above those I've seen in any other country I've been to. Where else can you eat raw salmon, beef, chicken, and pork without getting sick? :biggrin:

Where else can you eat raw salmon, beef, chicken, and pork without getting sick? :biggrin:

Goat and horse too.

Regardless of how careful chefs are, eating raw chicken always puts me on deathwatch--for the next couple of days, I just wait to be stricken with some kind of salmonella-based ailment.

I love it, but it's not my favorite Japanese soda.

When I lived in Japan I used to drink this stuff called "Meron soda" which was melon-flavored soda, and there was another one whose name eludes me that we used to call "battery acid" because it was so powerfully carbonated. That stuff was great. The taste was potent, too.

Our World Market carries this stuff, so if you have one near you then it should be available. My daughter loves it (I think mostly for the novelty) and we've tried the lychee, melon and strawberry flavors.

Just the other day I spotted sangria flavored ramune in the Asian aisle of Cub Foods. I almost picked up a bottle and may do so the next time I'm there.

Top Bottom