What's new

Who else loves wet shaving, but doesn't like vintage products?

I love the art of wet shaving and respect the age of this art/hobby/necessity/obsession. But I really have zero desire to try or own anything vintage. I love new, modern equipment, whether that is hardware or software for that matter.

I really love new soaps, modern brushes, and current stylings of modern DE razors. Does anyone else feel similarly? I have owned a few Gillette Black Beauties over the years but I think modern razors are better shavers, and I think modern, artisan soapmakers are making fantastic products that edge out anything from the "good ol days". I am so curious if I am the only one that feels this way.

I'm not interested in vintage soaps. But I love the idea of using razors that have seen, in some cases, generations of use and are still exceptional tools. The idea of recycling appeals to me, but I am more compelled by the connection to history and the passage of these objects from hand to hand through the years.

I love my modern Wolfman, Karve, Rockwell and Razorock razors, but I do enjoy using vintage Gillettes from time to time. Vintage soaps, AS, blades and brushes? no thanks.

I would pick modern over vintage, but damn some of those 60-100 year old razors still shave nicely. 👍

I have my dads that is nostalgia for me and will keep that since its my history

New razor guy here :)
vintage blades also a no go for me as I want to love something I can get easily unless they were awesome and I could get a few thousand :)

the nostalgia side has something fun about it the labels the looks the history and I like the idea of soaps like proraso but does not perform as well for me same as cella wanted to love it but oh well and even then they are new in a sense

Out of all my razors modern and vintage, vintage Gillette’s shave best but prefer the build quality of the modern CNC made razors.
I agree, I had to spend $$ for a Timeless Ti .95OC just to match my rechromed New SC with CooncatBob handle. It doesn’t shave better, but I do like the modern material, build quality, and weight.

I like them both. For razors, I give a slight nod to the modern artisans, as the best ones are more more efficient than older models without sacrificing smoothness. That said, there are some vintage models I really like—Goodwills, British Aristocrats, and RFBs for example.

For brushes, I am split in that like older style brushes, like Simpson, and more modern style brushes like Declaration Grooming. That said, I don’t own any truly vintage brushes, but I wouldn’t hesitate to grab a vintage Simpson or Rooney if the price were right.

I also like the older style hard soaps and newer artisans about equally. In general, I do prefer vintage aftershaves because of reformulations.

It is funny you mention those brushes. I have a couple of Simpsons, I have a Declaration, as well as two Paladins. I think from a handle standpoint, I really like where modern brush making is at. From a knot standpoint, I don't find much difference in the thought process of knotting.

I do reach for my modern brushes over my Simpsons but again, I like the handles.

It is funny you mention those brushes. I have a couple of Simpsons, I have a Declaration, as well as two Paladins. I think from a handle standpoint, I really like where modern brush making is at. From a knot standpoint, I don't find much difference in the thought process of knotting.

I do reach for my modern brushes over my Simpsons but again, I like the handles.
Scott’s Jeffington handle (Declaration Grooming) is probably my favorite. It really is kind of a version of the Simpson M7 handle, IMO.

I am so bummed I missed the Jefferson handle of Van (Gogh) Down By The River brush. It is absolutely spectacular looking.
Screenshot 2022-07-28 at 7.36.24 PM.png

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Vintage for me. I do like looking at the new model razors when that come up but they are far to expensive for me. I like vintage but you take your chance buying them on line as you don’t know how they have been treated in the past.

I'm not against vintage per-se. When it comes to razors or anything for that matter, I don't like it when the plating starts coming off or similar. Now if it was a vintage that was refinished/plated- yes I'd give it a go. However newly restored vintage razors tend to cost even more than modern.

About the only thing I'm cool with "vintage" on, are tools. Blacksmithing for example, I would love a 100+ year old anvil. I've got a post vise around the same age and adore it.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
My first vintage razor is on its way to my place. I have no idea if I'll like it or not, but the British Flat Bottom Tech is enjoyed by quite a few people here and I'm looking forward to trying it.

All the rest of my gear is "modern", I think but I don't exactly know what that means. The soaps I'm using now have been around for a while. How long? I don't really know. I mean, they are currently available but how old are the companies? Not sure.

The brushes, most of them, are from companies who have been around for a long time. Does that mean they are vintage? I doubt that because they are currently available.

I don't really have a horse in this race. Some people like collecting vintage razors. Others collect modern razors. Some collect both. There are people here who have hundreds of soaps.

I'm not a collector but that's moot. There is room enough in this hobby for all of us, regardless of what we prefer.

Top Bottom