What's new

Whisky finshed is beer barrels

I guess I would have to taste it but I can't imagine how long you would have to age whisky in a beer barrel to change the flavor of that whisky. Easy to imagine it the other way around and plenty of experience with it also, I am a huge fan of barrel aged beers.

New Holland makes a barrel ages stout call Dragons Milk. I really like it.

They also sell a bourbon that is partially aged in the barrels that age the stout. The story is a lot more interesting than the bourbon. It's by no means bad, but at $30 a fifth here in MI you can buy a lot better bourbon for less $.

Just bought a bottle of jameson aged in stout barrels this weekend. One word. Yummy $20160910_171131.jpg

New Holland makes a barrel ages stout call Dragons Milk. I really like it.

They also sell a bourbon that is partially aged in the barrels that age the stout. The story is a lot more interesting than the bourbon. It's by no means bad, but at $30 a fifth here in MI you can buy a lot better bourbon for less $.

Aging Stouts in bourbon barrels seems to be the "in thing" the last several years. Goose Island was one of the first to do it with their Bourbon County series back in '05-'06 (which is only available on Black Friday). Founders released their first KBS back in '09 I believe. Now it seems all the larger Craft Beer breweries have a barrel aged Stout release nowadays.

If you haven't tried a barrel aged Stout I highly suggest you check them out.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Aging Stouts in bourbon barrels seems to be the "in thing" the last several years. Goose Island was one of the first to do it with their Bourbon County series back in '05-'06 (which is only available on Black Friday).

If I remember right, BCBS first came out in the mid-'90s, though I don't know if it was a one-off that stayed out of production for a little while. I remember others from around that time and over the next several years or so, but not too many, and I recall they were more one-offs. There was a good deal of wood aging going on, but not a whole lot in old whisky barrels. Someone might have had a "barrel program" going on back then, but certainly not very many.

Regardless, you are correct that things really took off around ten years ago. Ten years ago, a home brewer could get a used whisky barrel for next to nothing. Now, IF you can get hold of one, you'll pay through the nose. It's becoming the same for just about any other sort of spirit barrel. Breweries are climbing over each other for them. Everyone has a "barrel program."

Top Bottom