What's new

Which Stainless Steel to Get?

I'm another Weber fan. I use my Weber Bulldog ARC more often than any of my others.

Mike

+1 million. My Weber Arc is also my go to razor. I've tried the Feather but lost my ability in consistently finding its "sweet spot". It was sold here on the BST. I personally feel the SS razors from Above the Tie and Tradere are overpriced. I'm not a fan of Ikon's dual head as I don't like open comb razors. However, I do believe Ikon makes a traditional closed comb. Be that as it may and without a doubt, Weber is the best value.

I just traded for a Weber Bulldog and have been using it the past 2 days and truly have to attest to its high quality and wonderful shave. Having tried several Merkurs, the Muhle R41 and a good few vintage Gillettes, I have to say this is my favorite razor.

I use this combo with great results:

It is a Weber handle with a Feather head and Ikon OSS + OC baseplates. I have been a very satisfied user of the Feather AS-D1 since I bought it when it appeared on the market. It has since the last 18 months been in use at least 80 % of my shaves. I am used to the concept of changing razor or dialing up the Slim as the blade mellows. That is why I got the Ikon baseplates. They work very well for me as a combo with the Feather head. I will have this combo (maybe with a BRW handle) replated and intend to use it as my Holy Grail combo.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had a Weber for two months - its a really nice shaver, but ultimately it was too similar to my EJ DE89, and it often gave me some (very) mild razor burn when I went for a BBS shave. I get a closer, smoother shave with my current generation Ikon SB Razor.

The Ikon is an interesting shave - its aggressive, and often feels like its about to bite me - but it never does!. It also gives me zero irritation, even with multiple passes, which makes no sense for an aggressive razor, but there it is.

I have the OC base plate incoming, curious to see if its the perfect balance between efficiency and smoothness.

I really like the Feather and could easily use this everyday if I had too. I have an ATT Titan and Atlas and Tradere on the way but don't now if I should keep them all I like the Feather so much.

After trying a Feather AS-D1 and the original Tradere OC, I think I have settled on a Titan R-1. The Tradere is prettier, but I like the shave of the Titan better. My other favorite razors are Futur and Progress for comparison.

After trying a Feather AS-D1 and the original Tradere OC, I think I have settled on a Titan R-1. The Tradere is prettier, but I like the shave of the Titan better. My other favorite razors are Futur and Progress for comparison.

What settings do you use on your Futur and Progress?

Where did you get your AS-D2 from? I ordered one from Connaught Shaving a week ago and still excitedly waiting for it to arrive.

Same place but since I'm just on the other side of the canal mine arrived a lot earlier. It will take at least another few weeks for yours to arrive :biggrin:

I really like the Above The Tie offerings--both from a construction viewpoint and shaving quality view. There are a number of options of handles and base plates to choose from to customize the look, handling and aggressiveness of the razors. This component-oriented approach is unique. There are three degrees of aggressiveness offered by the H, R and M base plates; and two beautiful handles (knurled and barber-pole) of different lengths to choose from. The components can be purchased individually or as part of a 5- or 7-piece system.

Another vote for ATT titan. Got the r-1 plate with it and its perfection!

I went for the Weber polished with bulldog handle a few months back. I haven't used the high end stainless razors, and maybe they are great, but the Weber is great at a fraction of the cost. I guess if I were a collector I would also get the high end models, but as an average guy looking for a great stainless razor, the Weber is the best.

Top Bottom