What's new

Which razor should I give to my nephew?

First DE razor for my 15 year old nephew, which one should I give him?

• A) 1964 J-3 Slim Adjustable

• B) 1959 E-3 Fat Boy Adjustable

• C) 48-50 Aristocrat

Results are only viewable after voting.
20181020_223226.jpg

So my 15 year old nephew has expressed interest in using a DE razor to shave with. I've decided to set him up with a razor, brush, soap, a variety of blades, and aftershave.
Everything other that which razor yo gifs hom has been figured out.
He only needs to shave once a week at this point in time.
The three possibilities are all great razors to shave with and I'm certain he'd be happy with any of them, so please help choose which one I should give him.

I pick ( A ) Slimmer Head easer to Maneuver for a Newbie and of course it’s Adjustable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+1 on the slim. If he's got peach fuzz like I did, he'll appreciate the much milder shave and the lower settings. The fatboy and the aristocrat might bite deeper and he will appreciate them more once he has mastered the slim.

Give him a nice, nickel Post-war, NDC Tech, with either the Fatboy or Aristocrat(48-51 is the sweet-spot for many people). I would vote for the A'crat, then after he has been able to shave comfortably with both, pass the Fatboy his way so he can really appreciate the nuance of the 195. You can send him some handles for the 3-piece too.
My son, who has the open choice of any of my razors has chosen the Post-War Tech over any of the others I have given to him(Slim, 40's SS, 34C, Pre-War Tech, & Post-War Tech). He also likes a variety of handles.

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
I say slim and will also point out I'm up for adoption, Dave!!![emoji16]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
Slim

He'll probably appreciate being able to fiddle with the adjustment, and a Fatboy is too precious if he uses too much force on the knob.

I would go with the Aristocrat. The tendency to "play" with adjustments for a youngster would be too great. The Aristocrat has nice balance and feel.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I would go with the Aristocrat, as mentioned non adjustable and less to go wrong if he fiddles with it too often. Great gift which ever razor you pass on to him.

I think any one of them would make a great starter. I think I would let him choose which one he thinks feels best in his hand. I'd throw a Tech and Super Speed in the mix too.

At that age, it might just be curiousness, so I'd just start him off with Baili tech clone. If he shows true interest then move on to a better one for his 16th.

Are his parents OK with a used razor?

Tough one...The Aristocrat for its beauty and the Slim for its iconic look and more nimble design....the Aristocrat is my choice.

Top Bottom