What's new

Which gem blades to buy

I was looking at EMS and found they have several different gem razors and injectors. I was wondering which one of these would be usable I know the PTFE but are the gem extra keen and pal blue blades ok for shaving too?

Also how much is their shipping charge for 1 box of 100 I heard that ted pella is around $15 bucks minimum shipping or something like that.

Also, I found a thread that had a link to some blades on amazon, some RBSX 25 blades which are marked for paint scrapping but has reviews as being a good shaver. If I have these in my local lowes/home depot should I pick up a box or would I just be better off getting them online? The price at lowes is 10.95 for 100 and it has the same model number as the one on amazon. It is .009 thick so from what I have researched that is the magic thickness.

Thanks again ahead of time.

ummm dont go to HD or lowes for shaving blades please. try walgreens, cvs rite aid, etc etc. Those razor blades are not deisgned or coated to be shaved with.

I recommend the GEM ss, from walgreens They are stainless steel, and are less prone to rusting.

The others are usually carbon steel, and rust if you sneeze on them.

Ok will scrap the lowes idea for now or at least until i am in need of a paint scrapper and then :001_rolle i might just try it out just for fun/want to get out of work to recover from a savage knife fight.

A well respected vendor www.razorbladesandmore.com has the same blades as ems and Ted Pella in 50 and 100 count boxes, might check with him as far as shipping costs if you're looking to buy in bulk. Walgreens carries a very similar (same?) blade in 10 packs made by Gem/Personna and carbon steel blades can be purchased at Rite Aid, CVS and some independent drug and grocery stores.

I prefer carbon steel but they do take a bit of maintenance to keep them from rusting.

Yea definitely stay away from hardware SE blades. Im telling you this from experience! LOL!
Also stay away from Gem Blue Star blades. Shave was not that great gots lots of irritation and the blades where rusted before I was even finished shaving.

The GEM by Personna Stainless blades are good though.

Thanks I'll check them out I found that Rite Aid has Treet blades and walgreens does have the blades but they are out of stock.

I have some extra GEM ss blades, still in the package, give me your address and I will PIF u a 10 pack, if u want.

I find the Gem stainless blades in most drug stores in my area. There are also Treat brand but these are not stainless and are carbon steel. They are capable of a good shave, but rust easily and require extra care. Remember, before the days of stainless steel, all shaving blades were carbon steel and men were used to dealing with it. I also find that it is a "piece of cake" to sharpen any of those single edge blades. If you can hone a straight razor, you can also sharpen and hone a single edge blade. I regularly touch up these blades on a hard Arkansas stone and strop them before I use them in my old Gem razors. AB

Top Bottom