What's new

Which Dubl Duck?

mparker762 said:
you misunderstood me. The wonderedge uses swedish steel, the rest of the line uses solingen steel.
Cool. I did not know this. What ever they did, it's a sheer joy to use! Thanks for the info!

mparker762 said:
you misunderstood me. The wonderedge uses swedish steel, the rest of the line uses solingen steel.

No WONDER I love my Dovo Bergischer Lowe so much! This razor also uses Swedish steel. I have a Dubl Duck Goldedge in my rotation. It's pretty good, but it's nowhere near my favorite razor.

Here's the Satinedge I just bought from Joe, to me it's the most beautiful razor I've seen so far. :001_wub:

proxy.php

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
russellnyc said:
No WONDER I love my Dovo Bergischer Lowe so much! This razor also uses Swedish steel. I have a Dubl Duck Goldedge in my rotation. It's pretty good, but it's nowhere near my favorite razor.

How do you hone that thing?:confused:

Well, so far I haven't had to, just maintaining it with my .1/.5 pasted strop has kept it hanging-hair sharp. Even though I hate the cheesy (and fading) gold wash, shaving with this razor is truly a pleasure.

I will note that, as a result of this thread, I revisited the Goldedge this morning and had a really lovely shave with proraso red. Although this razor still isn't my best or favorite, it does the job delicately and elegantly, and I do like it. This particular razor had been honed to perfection by Lynn Abrams, and so is really shaving sharp.

ouch said:
How do you hone that thing?:confused:

I have two Dubl Ducks in my normal rotation. A Goldedge and a Dwarf. If you like smaller razors the Dwarf will shave with the best of them. The Goldedge looks pretty much like the Wonderedge except different steel. Both are fantastic shavers. I have heard any Duck will do.

Glen

superfly said:
All DOVO razors are using Swedish steel...

Nenad
Are you sure about this?
The Dovo "best quality" I just sold, I'm pretty sure is made of Solingen steel, whereas my other Dovos (a tortoiseshell scaled Dovo special and a Dovo Bismarck) are marked as being Swedish steel.

The Bergischer Lowe is the first straight I actually drooled over....I've never actually tried one, and since then I've acquired several satinedges, a few wonderedges, a DD dwarf, some TI's and a host of other things...and STILL haven't tried one of those. I will one day though. This addiction is incurable, after all.
John P.

Iwan
Don't worry. From the looks of it you didn't miss much. The NICE ones go for a lot more than that one, or somebody would have sniped a lot higher than 92 bucks.
That one will take a lot of restoring from the looks of it.
Of course, I've been wrong before.
IMHO the better Dovo's and the wonderedges are verrrrry similar in how they shave.
That said, I'd still love a shot at a DD Lifetime (NOT the one with interchangeable blades....)
John P.

Iwan, unless you have a couple of Norton hones sitting around, missing this one was not a bad deal. The nicks will have to be honed out, and possible the bevel will need to be restored. Unless you have experience doing that, well, you really didn't miss out.

Randy

JohnP said:
Iwan
Don't worry. From the looks of it you didn't miss much. The NICE ones go for a lot more than that one, or somebody would have sniped a lot higher than 92 bucks.
That one will take a lot of restoring from the looks of it.
Of course, I've been wrong before.
IMHO the better Dovo's and the wonderedges are verrrrry similar in how they shave.
That said, I'd still love a shot at a DD Lifetime (NOT the one with interchangeable blades....)
John P.

Well I was a little annoyed. I really like the idea of restoring some grotty old razors and shaving with them since I have all the kit at home now, Dremel, hones, tools etc. I have a crappy old 4/8 Bengall spike point which I'm working on right now as my first practice restoration. I also bought a DD Goldedge at the weekend which doesn't appear to need much doing to it (just a clean and hone really), but I wanted to get a Wonderedge as well for my collection.

Oh well, I'll keep my eyes open for another one. :smile:

Top Bottom